N-Europe

Just saw MUSE live.

Dyson

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok Bard, I'll bite. Why are muse "shit"?

Well as I've been to see Muse live, having recieved a free ticket, I know that their live show is fantastic, it's a great spectacle and enjoyable for what it is. That said, I would never go to a Muse show again if I had to pay for it, and certainly not to listen to the music, because there's just one way to describe it, actually, fuck, there are loads; bland, boring, dull, uninspiring. Muse in a nutshell. They're talented, Bellamys piano solo at the show was lovely, but they make nothing of it. They're boring, their riffs are just a series of disjointed chords or linear scales, if you want to hear a truly brilliant virtuoso, neoclassical band, listen to children of bodom or the countless other ignored foreign melodic death bands. Muse have one thing going for them, they're accessible, but most of their songs are superficial so that when you've heard it a few times, you'll get nothing new from it after that. Children of Bodom come up with such incredible, inspiring melodies that are simple to understand, and complex to master (as cliched as that may sound) that you sit there and listen to them again and again and again. Muse are pseudo art, they try to transcend the simple label of rock by having operatic vocals and experimentation with time signatures, but in all honesty, it's not a task that they're up to. So in all honesty, they aren't "shit" as such, they're just musically challenged for lack of a better term.

Megadeath are shit

I mean, they're called Megedeath for fucks sake!

Yeah, I think I'll take my musical advice from someone who doesn't dispense it between judging a band by it's name and listening to MCR.

And Megadeth are awesome! :P

Dom, as always, knows what he is talking about ;).

Megadeth rule! I wasn't bashing them, I was just playing around. To me personally I prefer Muse, but there's nothing like some good ol Megadeth for some kick ass guitar solos.

Megadeth aren't about the guitar solos (although these are inspiring in themselves), any band that is solely about solos isn't worth listening to. Have you heard Take No Prisoners, Holy Wars and Tornado of souls? Those riffs didn't write themselves. Honest to god, everytime I listen to these songs I just want to give up on life because I know I'll never be that good.

Then you're a fool! O_O

What else did they do, besides playing their songs?

Not that I have anything against them, but it's a darn sight more of a manly name than Muse.

Agree on all counts.

I hope he rusts in peace

Haha, dude, I :heart: ya :heh:. That was class.

I think Muse is quite a hate it or love it band really. I know plenty of people who just don't understand why I think they're so good. It's all about musical taste though. Megadeth don't so it for me though, but I love Children of Bodom.

I saw Muse lastnite, and had an excellent time. It was a shame that the massive balloons only came out out the very end............you can never have enough of them things. Also Wembley Arena sucks for now being non-smoking everywhere. Hanged around the huge fountains aswell after outside Wembley, and there was plenty of laughs and people running through and stuff.

Wish I could write more detailed impressions of Muse's show, but it's a gig that's quite hard to put into words.

I think Muse is quite a hate it or love it band really. I know plenty of people who just don't understand why I think they're so good. It's all about musical taste though. Megadeth don't so it for me though, but I love Children of Bodom.

I don't know, whenever I've asked anyone why they like Muse, they've never been able to articulate a convincing reason.

Try Rust In Peace (album) by Megadeth, I'm sure that you'll like it if you give it a go through...

Nice to see that there's another Bodom fan arounds these parts.

They're boring, their riffs are just a series of disjointed chords or linear scales, if you want to hear a truly brilliant virtuoso, neoclassical band, listen to children of bodom or the countless other ignored foreign melodic death bands.

To be fair I'd rather not listen to Death metal, instead I'll settle for mainstream metal bands. I think I may have to create some new genre Life Metal, type of motivational style that only 80's montage music can provide.

On the Muse front, I thinkt hey're pretty swish, would love to see them live. But didn't think of booking tickets.

Saw Muse live a few months ago, brilliant! Only way i'll go and see them again though is if theyre next album is better or they tour Origin of Symmetry

Megadeth are great! Have the way people judge them on theyre name, they aint that heavy...

Ok, i went to see them at the Wembley Arena yesterday. I actually got to meet Twozzok as well. As i was walking outside the main foyer, i saw this guy walking and i was thinking to myself "...thats twozzok."

Then, when i was making my way to the North East entrance, he was behind me. We had a few seconds alone, so i thought "aww fuck it, i'm gonna say hi."

Twozz-dude, i'm sorry if i embarassed ya, and i don't do this kind of thing often. You are the first person i've met off this forum, so be proud, son. ;)

The actual gig: Afte seeing the Flaming Lips live a few weeks ago, i knew that this gig had a lot to live up to.

The music was good, but i couldn't help feeling a little disappointed.

They started off with Take a Bow, and then proceeded to Starlight. It's going great so far. But, something clicked inside my head. They're playing the whole album in fucking order.

I said this to my girlfriend, and i was proven right. Was very, very disappointed in this. It's disappointing for me because, at a gig, i love not knowing what song they will pull out of the bag next. They might as well have told you the setlist from the beginning, as there was hardly anything spontaneous about this.

For me, the gig didn't start until Knights of Cydonia came on. I don't actually like this song that much, but i have developed a new sense of love for it. Great!

They started to play the 'classics', which was by far the best part of the gig. Let's face it, the new album is good, but we all came to see the likes of plug in baby. There was an awesome response for the classics, and they played Bliss which made me very happy. THIS is what i came to see, not the whole album performed live.

They finished with Stockholm syndrome. I dunno why, but i only felt like i had seen half of the show. It didn't end the way i expected. There were some smoke effects and lovely backgrounds, but this was just missing something. I think them playing through the entire album in order left a sour taste in my mouth.

As far as the gig experience goes, this was good. But, the Flaming Lips by far surpassed this gig in almost every single way. The lips had dancing Santa Claus's at the side of the stage, people dressed up as Captain America or Aliens, and it was like one big drug trip. Plus, at the start, the singer got into an inflatable ball and was tossed into the crowd. Real life Super Monkey Ball, but with men. Plus, he interacted with the crowd a lot. I was a bit disappointed that this didn't really happen with Muse, as there was very little interaction. It was a bit too "ordered."

Damn I would never have expected them to just play the new album.... and in order aswell, that sucks. One of the best things about seeing a band is not knowing what they are gonna play next!!

And you was in London and didnt come and see me O_O

Damn I would never have expected them to just play the new album.... and in order aswell, that sucks. One of the best things about seeing a band is not knowing what they are gonna play next!!

And you was in London and didnt come and see me O_O

Next time i'm in London, i will come search you out. ;)

Oh yeah, getting there was a pain in the arse. I left the house at half 3, and i didn't get back until 3 in the morning!

Getting there was fine, had a meal at burger king. I felt a bit sick towards the end of the concert. Too many people. Too many sweaty people, and jumping around with elbows out. Thats the downside of standing. I felt like i was going to die twice. Double death, if you will.

Getting back, we took the tube to waterloo, as thats where National Rail Enquiries said we had to get the train from to get back to brighton. Turns out they're lying and we were really meant to be at Victoria. We got a taxi and drove to victoria, and made it. Took so long to get home though. :(

Fierce_LiNk,

I dunno what happened to your gig but the one in Belfast was completely different. Started with Take a Bow but thats where the similarities seem to end. Everything was in a random order:

Take a Bow

Hysteria

Map o the Problematique

Butterflies and Hurricanes

Newborn

Exo-Politique

Plug in Baby

Forced_In

Bliss

Soldiers Poem

Hoodoo

Invincible

Supermassive Blackhole

Time is Running Out

Stockholm Syndrome

(the encore)

Starlight

Muscle Museum

Knights o Cydonia

Great setlist, missing are Citizen Erased and I would like to have heard Assassin, I thought it was tailor made for live performances. Theres no way teh Flamin Lipz are better than teh Muse :love:

Next time i'm in London, i will come search you out. ;)

Oh yeah, getting there was a pain in the arse. I left the house at half 3, and i didn't get back until 3 in the morning!

Getting there was fine, had a meal at burger king. I felt a bit sick towards the end of the concert. Too many people. Too many sweaty people, and jumping around with elbows out. Thats the downside of standing. I felt like i was going to die twice. Double death, if you will.

Getting back, we took the tube to waterloo, as thats where National Rail Enquiries said we had to get the train from to get back to brighton. Turns out they're lying and we were really meant to be at Victoria. We got a taxi and drove to victoria, and made it. Took so long to get home though. :(

I go through waterloo everyday hehe and victoria is just up the road from my work! we could have crossed paths and not known it flinky (hihgly unlikely)

Fierce_LiNk,

I dunno what happened to your gig but the one in Belfast was completely different. Started with Take a Bow but thats where the similarities seem to end. Everything was in a random order:

Take a Bow

Hysteria

Map o the Problematique

Newborn

Exo-Politique

Plug in Baby

Forced_In

Bliss

Soldiers Poem

Hoodoo

Invincible

Supermassive Blackhole

Time is Running Out

Stockholm Syndrome

(the encore)

Starlight

Muscle Museum

Knights o Cydonia

Great setlist, missing are Citizen Erased and I would like to have heard Assassin, I thought it was tailor made for live performances. Theres no way teh Flamin Lipz are better than teh Muse :love:

That sounds a lot better and the kinda show I thought they would be doing.

Fierce_LiNk,

Take a Bow

Hysteria

Map o the Problematique

Newborn

Exo-Politique

Plug in Baby

Forced_In

Bliss

Soldiers Poem

Hoodoo

Invincible

Supermassive Blackhole

Time is Running Out

Stockholm Syndrome

(the encore)

Starlight

Muscle Museum

Knights o Cydonia

Whoa, that is a much better setlist. And you got muscle museum! We didn't really have a proper encore either...

Meh, sounds like you got the better gig. :(

Cos we're the better people!! :hehe:

I was actually kinda still disappointed by the setlist, thought it coulda been better - more old stuff, but in comparison to what you've said, my concert rocked! There was great use of lights, camera's and screens and the classic Muse Balloons came flying in...

Good crowd interaction too, like for example, the encore Matt came out and was like "Anyone here from Antrim?" A massive cheer went up, then he said "This songs for you..." and played Starlight, a lovely touch.

Plus, I agree with what you said on Knights o Cydonia, Ive not really got into the song until recently - hearing it live really helped, it was immense! ...I still kinda wish they'd finished with Stockholm Syndrome though, I think its an awesome closing tune.

The guys must just have had an off night for you's. Maybe they get less of a kick playing in Engerland nowadays :laughing:

Looking through your setlist, there are some differences. Most notably, is the order. You got hysteria second, wtf. And finishing on Knights of Cydonia is much, much better than finishing with Stockholm syndrome.

Looking through your list, we didn't get forced in, butterflies and hurricanes or muscle museum. But, we did get Feeling Good, Sunburn, and i think we got another one...which i can't name right now! Damn, what was it?

To be fair, the music was great. I was just a bit miffed at the fact that they played the whole album through. I like my gigs to be random. Like, *intro to plug in baby* "OMG!OMG!"

When the "second half" of the gig started, after they played the album, it was much, much better.

Aww you got Feelin Good, me chick woulda loved to have seen that one! As for Sunburn, I would've liked to have seen it live again - did you get it on the piano or the guitar version?

What was that other song you cant mind? Think man, think!

When they played us Muscle Museum, there was a slight air of embarrassment about it. Matt introduced it by making out that its from their o so old first album and that no one would probably know it. I still sang me heart out with him! And it was a great rendition of the classic song.

Who was supporting them? The Noissettes? They're so wick, arent they?

Holy crap, the setlist you got darksnowman was so much better than ours. Although you didn't get Sunburn or Feeling Good. I certainly feel they should break their usual ending on Stockholm Syndrome and replace it with Knights of Cydonia, as I think thats a perfect song to end with.

They also need Assassin put in there somewhere. But damn, I've been to Slipknot/Slayer (original unholy alliance), Trivium, System etc, and the crowds weren't as active as this lot were. It twas fookin' awesome.

Twozz-dude, i'm sorry if i embarassed ya, and i don't do this kind of thing often. You are the first person i've met off this forum, so be proud, son. ;)

/me feels privileged

When you first said 'hi' I was like 'I recognise you' and then you introduced yourself and I was like 'omg awesome! It's Fierce ^^;'

I also spoke a bit to FEF aswell. In the actual Arena.

1 thing I was quite peeved off at was the lack of hoodies to buy :(

Yeah, the lack of hoodies was sad. :(

Me and my girlfriend were talking about meeting you afterwards, and she said "i think you scared him! You shook his hand!"

"i know, i never do that."

"i waved!"

hahah.

I've been talking to allyn, turns out there were quite a few of us there. Surrealist was there, too. Awesome.

Looking through your setlist, there are some differences. Most notably, is the order. You got hysteria second, wtf. And finishing on Knights of Cydonia is much, much better than finishing with Stockholm syndrome.

Looking through your list, we didn't get forced in, butterflies and hurricanes or muscle museum. But, we did get Feeling Good, Sunburn, and i think we got another one...which i can't name right now! Damn, what was it?

To be fair, the music was great. I was just a bit miffed at the fact that they played the whole album through. I like my gigs to be random. Like, *intro to plug in baby* "OMG!OMG!"

When the "second half" of the gig started, after they played the album, it was much, much better.

Tuesday's Wembley gig was also much different to yesterdays by the sound of things. We got Sunburn, Butterflies and Hurricanes, and Knights of Cydonia as the last track played.

I'll grab Tuesdays set list off the Muse forums later if I remember. But I did hear that the Wembley gigs would all be a little different from each other.