Nintendork

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stefkov
I still wanna get that Zelda poster....

yeah me too.....

I just picked up ONM... and its quite a good issue... very good infact. Yeah some of the review scores are inflated but still a good issue.

Love the Zelda review :grin:

and the Red Steel poster

The Red Steel poster is pretty cool. I know have 1 A2 size poster covering my wal and the A3 Red Steel one.

My Samus one from a past onm i think was two A3's stuck together, tis a big poster.

I havnt read the zelda review. theres spoilers in it. All those who havnt read it ye be warned.

Guest Stefkov
NGamer = big ass Zelda poster

ONM = big ass Red Steel poster

Red Steel poster = one side has the boxart cover-ish. Other side has sword with womans face in the reflection. I don't know where to put it in my room.

Reading and looking at the rayman review has mademe like this game. Sure its short but the graphics look really good, and the fact hat you're throwing plungers at bunnies is hilarious!!

Just got my subs copy of Games TM and they scored Zelda: 9/10. A bit disappointed considering they gave Gears of War a full 10.

Other Ninty scores in the mag:

Wii Sports: 6/10

Red Steel: 5/10

Super Monkey Ball: 7/10

Wii Play: 3/10 (!)

Would be nice to have some idea what features are in the magazine, and review scores for other non Nintendo games (this isn't just a review thread really)

And finally Wii Play gets the score it deserves.

I was in Tesco earlier and bumped into the magazine stand where an excellently presented Nintendo Official Magazine sat. It was so excellently presented in fact that I picked it up.

Pretty high review scores and the Red Steel poster, whilst nice, is nothing on the N-Gamer Zelda/retro one. Double sided posters really piss me off though, especially when both sides are great.

thats only the third game they've given 10/10 (GamesTM)

the other being Burnout 3: Takedown and Metroid Prime. a 9 in GamesTM means its a fucking excellent game. Ico and Shadow of the Colossus both got 9s as did WW.

Burnout 3 better than Zelda... Jees how did that guy get flamed for 8.8 and none cares about that?

the other being Burnout 3: Takedown and Metroid Prime. a 9 in GamesTM means its a fucking excellent game. Ico and Shadow of the Colossus both got 9s as did WW.

Now what confusing me is the "better than/worse than" bit.

GoW - Worse Than: Halo

LoZ:TP - Just Like: OoT...

So it's just like one of the best games ever, yet GoW is worse than Halo, so how can a game get a perfect 10 if it's worse than another game of the same genre??? :indeed:

i think that GoW is better than Halo-its a more complete game with good multiplayer. where do they say that Gears is worse than Halo?

Burnout 3 got a 10 because it was the perfect arcade racer-i read the review and played the game and it was spot on. it defo deserves a 9 or 10.

killer7 also got a 9 from GamesTM.

Burnout 3 was a great game, definately the best in the series. Deserved a 9 though, no racing game is worth full marks.

i think GamesTM do it relative to other similar games in its genre and other games on its console. why can't a racing game, whether arcade or simulation, get 10/10?

I think all games regardless of genre should be relative to eachother in some way. A game could be the best of its genre, but still be a poor game. It's probably my opinion that racing games shouldn't get a perfect score because I generally prefer other genres, and I believe the racing genre is limited as a whole.

It is tough to compare games from different genres.. it's hard for me to say Apples and Oranges.. they're still games.

Gears of War is the pinnacle of the FPS genre.. it has consolidated everything and mopped up pretty much every issue the genre had.

It kinda deserves a decent 9 in my eyes, which could well be rounded up to a 10. For a lot of people it's teetering somewhere between 9.0 and 9.5.

Zelda could well be the best Zelda, but it would have been the best a few years ago too.. and other games have progressed. Which is why I don't think it deserved 10/10.. it's a good 9 though.

Burnout 3.. that's shocking. I loved Burnout 2, it was a throwaway title for me though. I'd have given it an 8 or 9. In general that series never has deserved a perfect score.

This idea that you can compare Zelda and Burnout in the same way you compare Okami to Zelda is not right though. In my eyes.

I didn't even hang the huge Zelda poster. It's a piece of paper for God's sake! Read the damned magazine. Everybody is talking about the free posters, why not about what's inside? I've got NGamer as my monthly magazine because I love their witty writing and their incredible foolish child-like behavior. And now, after years of boring NGC, I like the new look that's more Gamerish and, erm, much more intensive for the designers to get finished. But I'm having trouble with the fact that these magazines seem to lose content. It's still a whopping 116 pages, but after two days I have read almost everything and it goes in the cupboard where it doesn't leave untill I go bathing nd need something to keep my time passing (closing my eyes doesn't work for me, i can't sleep or relax in that matter). And when I read it, I have the feeling everything is back there. As if I read it before.

Very frustrating to know that you sort-of burry the magazine after two days untill the next arrives to spend two days of reading again. I'm looking forward to the 6th of December (and probably a little earlier as subscriber that I am) to see what they made out of Zelda and the Wii Hardware breakdown. Twelve days and counting...

They never reviewed Ico, it was out before the magazine. I'm sure from the way they go on about it though, that they would have given it a 10. I'm not sure whether Burnout deserved that 10 either...so many better games...

I agree completely with the guy who said games should be compared with other games not neccesarily of the same genre, in film reviews it's how good is this film, not how good is this horror-comedy or epic, they're all judged equally, a film may be a great spoof but only the spoofs which do a hell of a lot more would get a great mark as the genre is too shallow to warrant a great film, same with pure kids films, they'll never get a good review, ever, only the 'family' films can - aka Pixar, Disney etc.

Burnout 3 does NOT deserve a 10 in any way in my eyes, same way Mario Kart wouldn't desrve a ten - the form doesn't allow it to even compete with the Zeldas, marios, halos etc. It would have to do a HELL of a lot more, something which Gran Tourismo tries to do.

Now as a disclaimer I much prefer Mario Kart, Fzero and Burnout to Gran Tourismo but I understand how they are great fun and GT is doing something well above that, I just find GT boring and not my thing, same way people prefer Scary movie to Citizen Kane...

Gran Turismo was the second game to take the word simulator seriously, the first being Flight Simulator.

I preferred the PSone versions where you could get second hand cars and check their price to the specs.. it really was a driving simulator.

I don't think it's right to compare any racer to Gran Turismo except Forza and maybe Toca.

They are as you say in a league of their own.

Gran Turismo was the first to properly use analog sticks, rumble, a kick ass soundtrack, photorealistic graphics (for the time) and physics to the max.

Each car was personally tested for about 6 hours to ensure the right handling and rumble feedback was given.. the right sounds. It was perfection more than a game.