NEurope
DiemetriX

Wii on LCDtv

Wii Graphics is “FUGLY” says IGN Editor

An IGN editor had the following to say about the Wii’s graphics:

“Thousands of IGN employees gathered around Craig Harris’ desk for a glimpse of Nintendo’s new console. When Craig finally got around to actually putting in a disc, the collected masses collectively vomited. Legend of Zelda on an LCD with composite cables is FUGLY. Really FUGLY. So FUGLY it deserves all caps. The same can be said for Excite Truck and likely any other Wii game. If you have an HDTV, the Wii may turn your stomach.”

The editor however, offered two solutions: Get a Component cable (for progressive scan) or buy a crappy TV under 32″. Although the editor is still excited about the Wii over the PS3, the editor found Zelda to be a borefest in the first two hours.

source: http://blogs.ign.com/Hil-IGN/2006/11/11/36713/

--

:| I have a HD LCD tv. Looks like I have to order the component cables as soon as they are available online.

Im bloody glad im gettin a component cable for my Wii... as i have a HD LCD TV... but im not happy about having to pay out for the cable.

I'm gettin a HDtv for xmas from my dad so I can play my Wii on it. Luckily I'm gettin some component cables from gameplay :D

I don't know from where the big fuss comes from. Everybody know that picture always looks pretty ugly on big LCD TV if you don't use component cables. This is true to every console, not just Wii. :blank:

hmm...sounds abit worrying, the graphics didnt look bad at the nintendo events, like where henman and co played wii tennis...

Strangely enough, Composite is pretty much the worst option for picture output, anyway, so why he's making a point about it seems suspect. As to not liking Zelda, everyone's entitled to their own opinion about games.

Okay, after starting to read the blog entry, for starters he's wrong about the component cables, Nintendo have confirmed that they will be available in stores at launch. He doesn't mention whether he actually played Zelda, or just watched; to be honest, it's more likely the latter and watching games is very rarely anywhere near as good as actually playing them.

I don't know from where the big fuss comes from. Everybody know that picture always looks pretty ugly on big LCD TV if you don't use component cables. This is true to every console, not just Wii. :blank:

You have a point... the PS3 and 360 graphics would look FUGLY on an LCD tv if you hooked them up with composite cables

Seems to me he has a second job at a composite cable company.

Really, I doubt it's that bad :indeed: A composite cable seems a must for HD gamers though.

They could have posted examples. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Cube games look fine using composite on my 40" LCD

GoNintendo.com have been using a Samsung LCD TV, prolly the same one as me and it looked fine according to them

GoNintendo also posted a comparison shot of Zelda's Title using Composite and using Component

Really, I doubt it's that bad :indeed: A composite cable seems a must for HD gamers though.

Composite looks extremely bad on LCD no matter what resolution you are using. By my understanding it has more to do with the way how LCD/Plasma television's refresh their screen than actual cables (and nearly all HD-TV sets are either LCD or plasma).

What's the whole cable thing anyway....SCART's the same as composite?

Nope, not by a long way; Composite is amongst the worst for picture quality. Unless you're getting Composite confused with Component.

Nope, not by a long way; Composite is amongst the worst for picture quality. Unless you're getting Composite confused with Component.

No....I wasnt, don't worry.

Even when using the SCART end to the compsite? (I assume that's what it is)

Sorry, I'm not very tech minded.

Ah well it doesn't affect me, I don't have a HDTV or LCD TV and have no plans on buying one in the near future (I only got my widescreen TV this year!!!).

Is composite the cable that plugs into the white, red and yellow bits?

No....I wasnt, don't worry.

Even when using the SCART end to the compsite? (I assume that's what it is)

Sorry, I'm not very tech minded.

Ah, that's just a Composite > SCART adaptor, you still only have the Composite cable signal even though it's going into the SCART socket. In a proper RGB SCART cable the video signal is split into into three separate ones, one Red, one Green and one Blue; this means you have got a much greater bandwidth to send the signal through, meaning less signal degradation.

Okay....well it doesn't matter for me too much. I've still got my good old Electon tube Tv ;)

Will get a component if need be though, Nintendo bastards should pack them in so that people with HDs dont find the graphics bad though. Esp in America where they're far more common

No description of why its fugly? Hmm...and Serebii is right about GoNintendo, they've been using an LCD TV with composite cables (What else are they going to use? They got no other plug-ins).

May be a quick swipe at the Wii.

On the GoNintendo site they actually made a post agreeing with this guy's view.

I'm starting to seriously wonder what to do about getting a new TV. I have a feeling even WITH component it's going to look pretty bad on any HDTV's that are a fairly large size...

Ah, well im glad I dont use LCD tv's, and that im getting a standard television for xmas too.

Sorted.

PS3 looks shit on normal TVs with composite, Wii looks shit on a HD TV without the component cable.

Not a suprise really.