NEurope
Guest Ray Falling

Third party support and such, will Nintendo take it?

Okay, so already 3rd parties are getting exitced about Nintendo's upcoming homeconsole. Naturally, existing formulas for games will be applied but Nintendo also asks developers to create new ideas based around the Revolution play style.

Now, this is Nintendo's chance to do it right 3rd party wise, but what I'm concerned about is:

Will Nintendo take all the 3rd party support? As in; will they also allow developers to make more "mature" and "violent" games, such as the games on PC, Xbox and Playstation?

This is Nintendo's chance to get rid of their, ugh I don't even want to say it but, "kiddie" image T_T damn I hate that word. But can you imagine finding Doom and such on the Nintendo shelves? Or other bloody and violent games?

I personally don't know, I know what games I like and stuff so I won't get anything that doesnt fit my taste. But I do want Nintendo to attract more gamers so naturally they'd have to go beyond the first party games which I love and the somewhat...childish orientated games. And if they need more mature games for this then yeah I'm all for that. But the question is; will Nintendo take them?

What are your thoughts on this?

--Ray

FPS games will undoubtedly be made for the Revo. The vast majority of FPS games are mature style games, so if nintendo want good FPS games, then I think they'll have to look past it.

Have you heard of Resident Evil 4? This was not only Gamecube exclusive, but it involved such activities as blowing people's heads off, and slicing them in half with chainsaws. I don't think that "mature" content is going to be a difficulty this time round. Though I do still hate the fact it's refered to as mature when most people who appreciate it are "immature" kids. I prefer violent, or extremely graphic as they give a better representation. I hope they get a lot of FPS support, and games like GTA. Not that I really want these games personally, but other people will, and they were both lacking form the Gamecube. Revolution already looks the part aesthetically, now they just need the software.

FPS games will undoubtedly be made for the Revo. The vast majority of FPS games are mature style games, so if nintendo want good FPS games, then I think they'll have to look past it.

This is very true, but a console can't live off FPS' only.

I was just checking the Cube release list and my god, that has some weird games in it, games that probably won't even make it on the market anyway but...God that's just horrible.

So yeah I would like to see some of them big RPG's too that are more mature and yes FPS...

Have you heard of Resident Evil 4? This was not only Gamecube exclusive, but it involved such activities as blowing people's heads off, and slicing them in half with chainsaws. I don't think that "mature" content is going to be a difficulty this time round. Though I do still hate the fact it's refered to as mature when most people who appreciate it are "immature" kids. I prefer violent, or extremely graphic as they give a better representation. I hope they get a lot of FPS support, and games like GTA. Not that I really want these games personally, but other people will, and they were both lacking form the Gamecube. Revolution already looks the part aesthetically, now they just need the software.

Yes I heard about RE4 and thats still only one game my friend, now we also have Killer 7 and Geist is probably more mature too, but still most games aren't

But yeah I agree with you on having games such as GTA and the like, I wouldn't get them either but then some people wouldn't get Metroid...so, I'd want the games available so people who do actually want those games would get them on Revolution rather than rival consoles n_n

With the recentish releases of Killer 7 and Resident Evil 4 I don't believe that 'mature' content will be a particular problem.

Obviously , the biggest problem is getting the 3rd parties on board , but , on seeing/reading some initial reactions from these people I think even their support is virtually guaranteed (as long as Nintendo remove some of its bullish licensing issues).

As for 1st party support , the lacklustre sales of the crimianally under-rated 'Eternal Darkness' with Silicon Knights may prevent Nintendo themselves attempting such a venture. The so-called child-like content of Nintendo's games is surely part of their charm.

Personally , I believe this whole mature content thing is over-rated , I have fully enjoyed my Gamecube experience and do not feel that I have missed anything of importance on the rival machines.

Don't forget Nintendo are attempting to distance themselves from their rivals (thank god IMO , gaming was getting stale) , so how this will affect their future plans remains to be seen.

With the recentish releases of Killer 7 and Resident Evil 4 I don't believe that 'mature' content will be a particular problem.

Obviously , the biggest problem is getting the 3rd parties on board , but , on seeing/reading some initial reactions from these people I think even their support is virtually guaranteed (as long as Nintendo remove some of its bullish licensing issues).

As for 1st party support , the lacklustre sales of the crimianally under-rated 'Eternal Darkness' with Silicon Knights may prevent Nintendo themselves attempting such a venture. The so-called child-like content of Nintendo's games is surely part of their charm.

Personally , I believe this whole mature content thing is over-rated , I have fully enjoyed my Gamecube experience and do not feel that I have missed anything of importance on the rival machines.

Don't forget Nintendo are attempting to distance themselves from their rivals (thank god IMO , gaming was getting stale) , so how this will affect their future plans remains to be seen.

You make a good point, I myself have enjoyed the Cube to the fullest and am very pleased with the games (though not that many) I have. But a company such as Nintendo can't exist on that alone. They will need the 3rd party support n_n

But having Square-Enix on board and such 0_0 we're in for some good times

--Ray

Is anyone else daydreaming about "Time Crisis Revolution", right about now? :yes: :yes:

I guess support does not depend on the controller but more on the actual hardware and the user base. The first year is important - if the userbase is too small even the best controller can 't change the lack of third party support. Nintendo now needs to continue its strategy with innovation but also try to help developers and offer them good deals.

Square Enix did not leave the Nintendo because the N64 was a bad console - they hated cartridges and the price of them (including the little storage they offered).

Okay it seems many big developers are excited about the Revolution now Nintendo should use this and offer SDKs to implement the controller in an easy way, accept every good game even if it does not directly fit into their philosophy and most important try to sell your ideas!

Well when Gamecube was first released it had relatively good third party support especially in the first year in my opinion. But after that the support became less and less. I think the first year of the Revolution will have good support , the only thing I'm worried about is the later stages. I just hope third parties will continue to fully support the Revolution throughout the rest of it's lifespan.

NES is a 1st console where manufacturers openly courted third-partys.

i just cut and pasted that

here's another one

not like Xbox, Nintendo, or PS later, hardware manufacturers lost exclusive control of platform's game supply. leading to floods of low-qual third-party titles

no dice, what a drag!

This is Nintendo's opening to bring in as much 3rd party support as they can. If they bring in as much as possible, they will recover from the GC and its lack of 3rd party games.

I expect there to be a good level of third-party support. Nintendo worked hard getting third-party support for GC, and I think they succeded. With third-party support also clamoring to get on the DS bandwagon as well as developers such as Square-Enix declaring their concrete support early-on, I'm not expecting a lack of games to be a major problem on the new system.

Once again we need to revise our definition of 'mature'. Nintendo is an artist of the video gaming industry and will support or reject games based on more than their levels of blood and violence. So long as the levels of blood, language, sexual references, etc. add to the game, have a purpose, and are balanced with regards to the game's audience, story, characters, world and situation(s), Nintendo will support it.

Ive thought about this too, i dont think Nintendo even wants all the PS3/360 ports. And rightly so. Nintendo wants to create a different experience and have a vastly different library than its competitors. Just look at the DS library compared to the PSP for reference.

I like Rolf's point. In fact I'd say he's pretty-much spot on. People talk about "mature" games, but honestly, who could be more "mature" than a game's company that's been around for 120 years? A company that built the console business as we know it today. Nintendo are the definition of gaming maturity because they realise that they dont need excess gore or rapper endorsements to sell their wares, they just need to make it fun.

I like Rolf's point. In fact I'd say he's pretty-much spot on. People talk about "mature" games, but honestly, who could be more "mature" than a game's company that's been around for 120 years? A company that built the console business as we know it today. Nintendo are the definition of gaming maturity because they realise that they dont need excess gore or rapper endorsements to sell their wares, they just need to make it fun.

I totally agree, and what fun it is too!!!!!!!!! :D

It's a great chance for little-known studios to take advantage and come up with ideas and concepts on games they'd like to produce for the Rev, with it having a different take on the gaming (control) there isn't as much competition (big franchise names) to drown out these developer's games!

It also gives the better known developers chance to expand their game horizons, take a series in a different direction, create a new IP. I hope we see devs really challenging themselves and being creative!

I can't wait to see what lies in store for the Rev!

But can you imagine finding Doom and such on the Nintendo shelves? Or other bloody and violent games?

There was a Doom game on the 64, so I don't doubt that they would release one for the rev.

There was a Doom game on the 64, so I don't doubt that they would release one for the rev.

They had a Duke Nukem game too.

Nintendo are the definition of gaming maturity because they realise that they dont need excess gore or rapper endorsements to sell their wares, they just need to make it fun.
Exactly - brilliant post. Fun is something Nintendo has a natural ability and aspiration to create. I just hope the marketing department are limbering up, because with the undeniable potential of the Revolution, its success is really only going to be limited by the manner in which it is promoted. If the market accepts it as the 'cool' console, third-party support will follow, tail wagging.

In closing...

...man I love custard.

...man I love custard.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... oh christ... I read that as "I love man custard."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I think we're already seeing with the DS the new approach Nintendo is taking. It's getting a lot of games you'd never expect it to, from developers who couldn't give a shit about the GC (Burnout Legends anyone?). I think the reason we're seeing this change only on the DS and not GC is because the GC is effectively dead, any games made on it won't achieve the sales it would on the DS. In the end it's about the money, if they continue to market the DS and co-operate with 3rd parties more openly then we should see some great games for the Revolution. A lot being 3rd party.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... oh christ... I read that as "I love man custard."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

If the 'rolls eyes' smiley showed up, I'd use it here.

The company designed the controller mainly for the Western market. I wouldn't know this for sure, but the idea of having more FPS games in America for the Revolution with a unique feel will sway we hard-headed Americans :). (I hate most FPS games, by the way.)