NEurope
GamerFX128

REVs Graphics to be more powerful than THe COmp??

there was a rumor and a patent filled by nintendo in north america which supposely it creates map-cubbing stuff i have no idea what that is but it also talks about how it is capable to archive unbeliveale grahics ill try to look for the patend for ya unlees ya know what im talking about

From what I've read elsewhere, cube-mapping is purely surrounding a game map/world with all round background, i.e. the sky, horizon and so on. The more interesting patent, already discussed on here, is one that details a way of bump-mapping in a single rendering pass, rather than the two or more of existing systems, meaning a very efficient graphics system without needing overly powerful processors.

From what I've read elsewhere, cube-mapping is purely surrounding a game map/world with all round background, i.e. the sky, horizon and so on. The more interesting patent, already discussed on here, is one that details a way of bump-mapping in a single rendering pass, rather than the two or more of existing systems, meaning a very efficient graphics system without needing overly powerful processors.

Hmmm... Interesting; I see what Nintendo are getting at now.

isnt cube-mapping in the Gamecube too ????, im not sure but i remember someone told me there was, but i got no idea what it was then. Anyway In a way i believe the REV might be able to pump out some amazing Graphics beating off the XBOX 360. anyway we going to have to wait and see....innit

Even with me knowing nothing about the Rev's graphics, something just tells me that despite 360 will be more powerful than REV in the specs department, Revolution will outperform it visually.

Remember Nintendo saying that PS3 and 360 graphics weren't that impressive and were just like shiny computer graphics? Revolution's graphics must be extremely different then.

isnt cube-mapping in the Gamecube too ????, im not sure but i remember someone told me there was, but i got no idea what it was then. Anyway In a way i believe the REV might be able to pump out some amazing Graphics beating off the XBOX 360. anyway we going to have to wait and see....innit
cube mapping is in all graphics equipment since Geforce 256, this cube mapping is supposed to take it to another level, like the diference beetwen the first games using bump mapping to the Unreal Engine 3 ones for example.

One thing I know for sure, nintendo never did crap hardware and they always topped themselves, in architecture design, they'll not fail on us on this one, xbox 360 has big problems with framerates just xbox already has, most x360 launch titles dont even run at 60 frames, this generation gamecube was the most stable framerate-wise console, why? because they know how to make it from ground to be quiet and stable.

Anymore of this tech-jargon, and my frontal games-lobe is going to start bleeding.

Well, I guess that Displacement Mapping is even more impressive than obtaining a good bump-mapping effect with just a pass. Unlike normal or bump-mapping, where the normals are skewed to give an illusion of a bump, this creates real bumps. They cast shadows, occlude other objects, and do everything real geometry can do.

The shaders/shadowbuffers/raytracer can't tell that you didn't model it that way. Since it is a relative straight-foward technique, displacement-mapping imposes very little additional CPU cost per renderface.

Since I only toke knowledge about this technique recently, I'll try to dig more information about this matter.

Just my 2 cents, though :D:D:D:D:D

I doubt the original ArtX team is still available - at least not the complete one. After ATI bought them I think some positions changed and I have the feeling that if MS wants a certain dev team and is willing to pay more they get it.

I cant tell you for certain what cubemaps are, but in the Source engine (HL2, Vampire Bloodlines, etc) they're fake reflections. Rather than have the light refract realistically off an object (I believe the term for that is HDR?) they instead create an entity which takes 6 screenshots, one of each possible direction. From these it extrapolates an image of everything in the area. When an object needs to reflect it's surroundings, it reads the surrounding straight from the cubemap images. They look like complicated light bounces but they're actually just 6 JPEG's encoded into the map file. ;)

Interesting... but I truly believe that the Revolution will have worse graphics than the XBOX and ps3. Why? Look at the DS. PSP owns it there and Nintendo concerntrated on its innovative dimensions.

Oh. One more thing. Can people please not speak like chavs? Innit isn't a word. Unless you beat up people for a hobby. And take drugs. And are a thief. And want to die at the hands of the educated.

nintendo have stated the graphics will be on par or better than the competition, remember they have a little long to get the thing together, so they could in theory, take the 360's specs 6months down the road, where there will be an easier/cheaper/less heat making version, as well as the technologies iwata has said about makign it run quieter and faster...

looking at a load of 360 trailers, while very nice, apart from the forest in oblivion, nothing really makes me think 'wow, we really need this now!' its just another upgrade, and i'm sure nintendo will keep check

and for the noobs; forget cube-mapping, you don't knwo what it does, and there will be many more tech's that will be useful

The things that make you think 'wow' that inc. graphics is also the atmosphere a game gives. Nintendo are good at that.

and physics

i'd sacrifice graphics for a PPU, get some kick as realistic physics in there

that would be awesome

and physics

i'd sacrifice graphics for a PPU, get some kick as realistic physics in there

that would be awesome

agreed on that, physics with no hit on the systems performance would also boost the resourses available for graphics, not to mention that the physics would be superior and more natural than in any other system, probably even outperforming a PC without a PPU.

agreed on that, physics with no hit on the systems performance would also boost the resourses available for graphics, not to mention that the physics would be superior and more natural than in any other system, probably even outperforming a PC without a PPU.

oh easily, i mean, the PPU can do so much, yeah you can make a cpu do the same thign, but its soo much work in comparison

however this is probably just a dream till the next next generation

the reason ninty calls it cube mapping 'cause it has cube in it's name and it's a form of mapping nothing like the real cube mapping it's somthing difeerent with the same name