N-Europe

Mac Messenger 6

Charlie

Messenger for Mac 6.0 makes it easy to take advantage of the full power of instant messaging, and it is a Universal application built to run on both PowerPC-based and Intel-based Macs. This update allows Messenger for Mac users to:

Chat with Yahoo! Messenger contacts

Add a status message that your personal contacts can see

Share what you are listening to in iTunes with your personal contacts

Create, send, and receive custom emoticons with personal contacts

Send and receive custom animated emoticons with personal contacts

Search for conversation histories using Spotlight

Check the spelling in your instant messages

By using Messenger for Mac, you can see when your friends, family, coworkers, and associates at other companies are online and then communicate with them instantly. Messenger for Mac offers two types of communication services — a personal account and a corporate account.

A personal account works with the Windows Live Messenger service. Contacts that you add to your personal account include friends and family members. Instant message conversations with users are not limited to users who have Messenger for Mac installed on their computers. You can also have instant message conversations with users who have other instant messaging services, such as Yahoo! Messenger.

A corporate account uses the Microsoft Office Live Communications Server service. Contacts that you add to your corporate account include coworkers who are in the same company as you and associates at other companies. Instant message conversations with other corporate account users are not limited to corporate users who have Messenger for Mac installed on their computers. With the federation features enabled on Live Communications Server, users can also have instant message conversations with users who have other instant messaging services, such as AOL Instant Messenger (AIM), Yahoo! Messenger, and iChat users who are signed in with AOL accounts.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx?pid=download&location=/mac/download/misc/messenger60_download.xml

It currently has nothing on either iChat or Adium.

The features are welcome but the primary design of this fucking huge send button. Who is it for? Blind Dogs?

Nobody uses the mouse to send messages.. it's inefficient.

Adium rules, it's a great platform before AIM signs some kind of deal with Yahoo! and MSN to bring true cross platform bliss.

My only concern is.. the current inter-operability between MSN and Yahoo! will not be as streamlined as Jabber with video and voice over ip intergration.

Ideally Mac users could use Adium with Jabber or iChat with Jabber..

Then use the video and voice software seemlessly.

Guess we have 3-5 years to go.

screenshot14yb1.jpg

hacks- tokyo train station, ibubble, gems and some other crap.

I used aMSN but the webcam support was very iffy, no doubt improved in the past 2 years but I'm an adium guy until something as good with voice/video comes along.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this shouldn't be posted here, but what IM program would you guys recommend? I'm looking for something that'll allow webcam support, but there doesn't seem to be anything around that works?

I have Adium, but so far I'm not a big fan of it yet, plus it also doesn't allow webcam. =/

iChat is best for audio and video on the Mac.. seeing as Airport / iSight has become standard on all Macs the prices of the accesories individually has dropped.

If you have a friend who you regularly want to chat to then iChat would be the way to go, you can both get free AIM accounts and use video for free.

If you intend to use MSN then I'm sorry. Mac really doesn't deliver there. I'm familiar with aMSN and it just isn't very reliable at all- even with branded USB webcams.

Give iChat a go if you don't have access to a Windows Machine.. the iSight is really quite good quality.

wow look at all the mac users!!!

you poor things you!

(well you need to be a lil loaded to get some of them but you know what i mean lol)

I just have a Macbook actually (required for school). I still use my PC for most stuff, but I also love my Mac. =3

And thanks for answering my question guys. I'll try to give iChat a go one of these days.

No, I don't actually. I love my Mac and could never change back to using a Windows PC now.

Same here, I don't know what you're talking about Tak. :wtf:

Mac OS X has still not done anything to annoy me. I get annoyed with something to do with Windows every day. I also think £750 for a laptop with a Core Duo processor is pretty dam good. Lets not forget I can also run Windows on my Mac. I choose not to...

cheapest core duo notebooks around are the MacBooks, and they don't have the lowest grade processor either. 1.8ghz instead of 1.6ghz in the cheapest models.

Add OS X, iLife, iSight + Microphone, the media suite Front Row and a pretty good battery life.

You've got a winner.

Apple only cocked up on the graphics card, intel 950 accelerator thing. Apparently even that's not bad for multi tasking with HD playback, but it's not up to 3D games.

I'm using this new msn, it's pretty good. The SEND button sucks and I'd like tabbed conversations, but it's the most stable and reliable Mac msn I've used.

Can't be more reliable than Adium, has never crashed on me once.