NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
The Peeps

Importing a Wii

After adding the tax onto the USA price (their prices exclude VAT) its £146, add delivery and all that and you're not saving that much.

This is a bit of a pickle.

If I import I have to get North American products, which isn't a problem as such, it just means I have to import everything. It's still cheaper, but means lack of insurance and lack of the ability to go into game and buy software.

But if I stick to the UK, I pay more for everything. And everything will be late, compared to US releases. And Nintendo consoles tend to last longer in the USA, which games still being released, unlike the UK's attitude to "failed" systems.

Things like the internet and Wii points are not going to be a problem, as it's universal - it doesn't matter what country you're in, it'll work, just like the DS works everywhere. And Wii points should work everywhere too, like the Xbox 360. And the plug they use for Wii won't be a problem, I'll just use my GameCube one.

I think I will be importing:

- cheaper console, accessories and games

- earlier releases

- fairly easy to order on CD-WOW or PlayUSA.com, etc.

I've just got to decide whether to get my family to ship me a Wii, or to order online.

Its not like we have to wait long between the US release and the European one. I would have imported if we didnt get the machine til 2007 but seeing as its only a few weeks then I will quite happily wait.

But i want a wii now !

After adding the tax onto the USA price (their prices exclude VAT) its £146, add delivery and all that and you're not saving that much.

Do electrical items get taxed in North America? I import most my DVDs from the USA and have never been taxed on them.

Wii is region locked apparently

Nintendo UK has admitted that the Wii console is region-locked after all, despite comments from Nintendo of America to the contrary.

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz in London this afternoon, a spokesperson admitted, "We are region-locked," and said the US arm of the company had made a mistake in saying otherwise.

Earlier we reported on a piece by Wired News, which spoke to Nintendo vice president of marketing Perrin Kaplan during yesterday's showcase event in New York, during which they were told that Nintendo would not impose regional restrictions on game software.

Advertisement

That situation would have been comparable to that of Xbox 360, where some games are region-free but others are not, and gamers are generally left to find out for themselves whether an import is viable.

Nintendo also admitted yesterday that it had ruled out the idea of including DVD playback functionality, contradicting earlier announcements.

"Because the price of DVD players has dropped so much and they have become so commonplace, Nintendo saw no need to create extra hardware options that would drive up the cost for consumers," a representative for the company told GameSpot.

Previously Nintendo had said it would release an attachment for the Wii console that enabled DVD playback.

Games on the system will be sold on single- or double-layered 12-centimetre optical discs, while it will also be compatible with 8-centimetre GameCube discs.

Do electrical items get taxed in North America? I import most my DVDs from the USA and have never been taxed on them.

I bought Nintendogs from America and got taxed, so games do. I'd imagine hardware is the same. Maybe the site you ordered from included VAT in the price (or sites don't pay it), whereas in shops the price tags are sans VAT. ::shrug:

Its not like we have to wait long between the US release and the European one. I would have imported if we didnt get the machine til 2007 but seeing as its only a few weeks then I will quite happily wait.

its the software issue that people are bothered about. nintendo europe have not got a good track record!

personally i stuck between US machine and Japanese. US would be good for RPG's but i know for a fact the Japanese Wii will have some crazy wacky games which won't get released in the west.

Here is hoping we get a switch like we got on the GC so you can switch between US and JPN.

If you can read Japanese, get a Jap one. If you can't, get a US one.

I'm trying to find a few sites for a rough price guide to the Wii. I plan on importing it, most probably from Canada.

I'm trying to find a few sites for a rough price guide to the Wii. I plan on importing it, most probably from Canada.

Hmh, shame that there isn't any reliable import shop on USA. Retail price is 20 euros lower in USA than in Canada. :hmm:

I'm thinking about the future..it's pretty obvious USA are going to get Wii games 1-2 months before Europe still.

So i think thats another plus to import.

Obviously you won't get alot of time with it, i mean you'll probably get it 2 weeks earlier then a UK one, which ain't fantastic but is still pretty good. So thats not the main reason i'm importing one.

I'm just thinking about future game release dates. Thats all.

Just wait like everyone else, you have a DS, 360 etc there will allways be something to play.

By importing a Wii your just setting your setup for trouble.

I'm waiting, there's to many things that might not work right (console, wifi, wiimote, nunchuck, sensorbar), I like to be able to just return to a local store instead of having to send the entire pack back to the states.

Games is something completly different, to bad about the regionlock, but I guess freeloader for Wii won't take that long.

Just wait like everyone else, you have a DS, 360 etc there will allways be something to play. By importing a Wii your just setting your setup for trouble.

I don't think so. It's considerably cheaper, tax and delivery included (both of which sometimes don't cost you anything). And all accessories and games are around £5 to £10 cheaper as well. And you get a wider choice of games, all released earlier (months earlier).

All you need to do is really make sure your TV is NTSC compatible (most TVs are), and that you still have your GameCube plug, and you're sorted.

considering the Super Famicom had more games than the SNES is it possible the Japanese Wii VC will have more games?

if this is the case i think thats another reason why i would choose a JPN wii over a US version.

I don't think so. It's considerably cheaper, tax and delivery included (both of which sometimes don't cost you anything). And all accessories and games are around £5 to £10 cheaper as well. And you get a wider choice of games, all released earlier (months earlier).

All you need to do is really make sure your TV is NTSC compatible (most TVs are), and that you still have your GameCube plug, and you're sorted.

What happens if your Wii breaks int he 1st year though.

considering the Super Famicom had more games than the SNES is it possible the Japanese Wii VC will have more games?

if this is the case i think thats another reason why i would choose a JPN wii over a US version.

only a good idea if you speak japanese and like RPG games

Sign in to follow this