NEurope
Wesley

No DVD

Anyone actually bothered?

I am! I was hoping to buy a Wii and get rid of my half working 'cube and noisey DVD player... but now I don't know if I want to have a Wii and a DVD player in my room.

i wanted to get rid of my xbox as well, thats all i use it for!!!! and i hoped that money could go to my wii, oh well, dvd players are cheap lol

my 360 is dodgey-i try and play a DVD in it and it cuts out after 20 mins or so and i have to turn the 360 off and everything just to try and watch the rest :(

so i was hoping wii would replace it but nooooo :(

knowing some people here, i expect petitions to be made
I wouldn't say it's out of question though, a add-on can be made at any time, and perhaps Europe may opt to have one whereas US doesn't.

And if Nintendo get's homebrew software the first thing to do will probably be a media player, that enables DVD playback. it was possible on xbox (even without the remote control).

I actually think the mp3 player being launched now for DS is a attemp to test the userbase, to see if it's feasible.

Not really a big loss , most incorporated DVD players don't come close to the quality you can get from even the cheapest stand-alone units.

Dont care.

Got my uber pioneer dvd player anyway. As Perrin Kaplan said, it wasnt included in the machine so as to keep cost down, and i am stoked about that.

dvd players are cheap lol

Word. I got a freaking Region 1/2 DVD player from Amazon, and it plays both UK and US DVDs just fine. And the price? £17.97. Brilliant.

Well they prommised it and they didn't deliver

Strike One!

2 more chances left ninty

Really? Can you link me to where they promised it please?

Are you really actually bothered? Do you not have a DVD player? They're about £20, go wash some cars or do bob-a-job at your cub troop if you want one.

I know they are cheap mate but I would rather have 2 products under my tv than having sky box, wii and dvd player

hmmm well look at it this way - you can get a dvd player at Asda's for £18

If Nintendo did release the plug-in dvd device for the Wii - I assure you it would cost a lot more than £18!

So I can live without it!

no it wouldn't it would be like a dongle which goes into the Wii to activate software, but it hasn't been built in cause they couldn't be bothered

I don't think having DVD play back is as important as it was 5 or 6 years ago back when the PS2 launched. I mean they are so stupidly cheap now.

However Nintendo should never of even mentioned the DVD playback thing in the first place.

no it wouldn't it would be like a dongle which goes into the Wii to activate software, but it hasn't been built in cause they couldn't be bothered

Thats what I'm saying - the dongle would cost a lot more than £18!

no it wouldn't actually based on real prices it would of been £15

I'm sure your arguing for arguments sake but how do you know how much it costs if they never made it? :nono:

I wanted one, as I only have a ps2/pc for dvd players, the pc is unpractical, and the ps2 is noicy/slow and bulky. But DVD players are cheap, so it doesn't matter to much.

no it wouldn't actually based on real prices it would of been £15

-> http://www.dvdhelp.us/faq/index.php?qid=157&catid=28

Note that these are 2001 values, dunno if they hold 100% accurate in 2006.

The official DVD specification books are available after signing a nondisclosure agreement and paying a $5,000 fee. One book is included in the initial fee; additional books are $500 each. Manufacture of DVD products and use of the DVD logo for non-promotional purposes requires additional format and logo licenses, for a one-time fee of $10,000 per format, minus $5,000 if they already paid for the specification. (E.g., a DVD-Video player manufacturer must license DVD-ROM and DVD-Video for $20,000, or $15,000 if they have the spec.) Contact DVD Format/Logo Licensing Corporation (DVD FLLC) (http://www.dvdfllc.co.jp/), Shiba Shimizu Building 5F, Shiba-daimon 2-3-11, Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-0012, tel: +81-3-5777-2881, fax: +81-3-5777-2882. Before April 14, 2000, logo/format licensing was administered by Toshiba.
This is just to licence the Wii hardware spec to read DVD's and use the DVD logo, royalties for unit not included. It's a one time thing, but for a add-on that according to surveys isn't feasible commercially it's not a service to the community, it's just stupid.

Then add:

Various licensing fees add up to over $30 in royalties for a $300 DVD player
that gives us a extra $25 or so for each Wii? that's 20€ or £13,3 for unit.

It's a big extra cost per unit, and dificult to pay when not bundled/included in the initial price.

Imagine how much you'd have to sell of those at £15 to pay the initial fee (the £13,3 are just royaltie per unit), and if they were to sell it at +£20 not only it wouldn't sell, but Ninty fans would complain about it.

That's simply not profitable.