N-Europe

Shiny New Macbook

kyletherobot

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who said anything about paying? :heh:

It's £300 on Windows as well. It's a great product, well worth paying for....

Well where can I get it for 'free' then? :p

It's not a problem anyway, I've decided to get one and I think I'll get iWork and Photoshop in a couple of months aswell. Going to learn a language aswell so some software for that would be good, but I've seen loads on amazon.

That Guy: the software doesn't come in the box, you have to send away, presumably with some sort of authentication (eg. University acceptance letter).

I'm in full time work.

Moria, do not spoil this day for me!

smiley face, smiley face, smiley face. Does anyone want to iChat AV?

It felt super-weird installing Microsoft software on the Book. Office is great though. Still got Toast and Appleworks to install.

And Comic Life is a well-kept secret!

Fake Edit: I didn't have to send away for the CDs, they were right there in the Office box, which is super-strange considering I had to send away for the Windows CDs.

Moria, do not spoil this day for me!

smiley face, smiley face, smiley face. Does anyone want to iChat AV?

It felt super-weird installing Microsoft software on the Book. Office is great though. Still got Toast and Appleworks to install.

And Comic Life is a well-kept secret!

Fake Edit: I didn't have to send away for the CDs, they were right there in the Office box, which is super-strange considering I had to send away for the Windows CDs.

Welcome to the club, you can add me to MSN if you want. Possible fanboy conversations ahoy.

From the first post, do not think its been answered. Im prety sure you can use GMail though the mail program. You might get iLife free with your mac book I got it free for my Mac Mini, It has garage band a cool sound making/editing suite and a very powerful one at that.

Garageband just makes you think Wow, I wish I had something to podcast about.

I have my Gmail account set-up in Mail but it's not working smoothly yet.

EDIT: I thought Safari had tabbed browsing?

You need to enable it - Safari/Preferences/Tabs/EnableTabbedBrowsing.

Personally I am not overkeen on Camino. For some strange reason it just doesn't seem to work as well as Firefox (although it does look more native).

Generally though I find Safari more than sufficent.

I just wanted to add , that I am another who made the switch around 7 months ago (sadly my old laptop died just before the macbooks came out so I got myself an ibook) and there is no way I could ever switch back to windows.

I thought it would take a while to get used to , but everything is so well-incorporated and works well that within a week I felt like an old hand.

Personally I am not overkeen on Camino. For some strange reason it just doesn't seem to work as well as Firefox (although it does look more native).

Generally though I find Safari more than sufficent.

Neither do I, because I'm used to using firefox 1.5 to the fullest, and Camino, and, sadly, Opera. just don't work the same way for me.

I still recomend camino for apple though.

As for Camino, I can say for experience that I find it faster on apple computer's with less RAM, and I believe it's as stable as firefox 1.5, if not more.

As for Safari... no can do, without tabs.

I just wanted to add , that I am another who made the switch around 7 months ago (sadly my old laptop died just before the macbooks came out so I got myself an ibook) and there is no way I could ever switch back to windows.

I thought it would take a while to get used to , but everything is so well-incorporated and works well that within a week I felt like an old hand.

As for me... I'm a semi-switcher, I feel more confortable and productive in MacOS and spend my days cursing the Windows XP I'm in, mainly due to it not doing things like I'm used to in MacOS; but I'm not going to switch as of yet because for a portable I'd need as much as 4 GB maximum RAM, instead of 2 GB, 2 GB might feel great for me now, but that's bound to change, I can't be stuck with 2 GB maximum, due to working needs.

As for MacPro, It costs a lot, but I might consider one in the future (instead of a portable), but I'll surely wait for the upgrade to quad core CPU's (Kentsfield core). Those 16 GB maximum RAM are sexy. (I care more about RAM ammount than CPU/GPU clocks).

Garageband just makes you think Wow, I wish I had something to podcast about.

I have my Gmail account set-up in Mail but it's not working smoothly yet.

EDIT: I thought Safari had tabbed browsing?

Thats exactly what I thought when I heard you could make your own podcast. I need to find myself a Karl Pilkington-esque idiot.

And what do you mean gmail doesn't work smoothly?