Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Movie Making Thread

Sarka

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sarka, you should definately make more scripted stuff, and ease up on making the music videos. Watch some more films and observe the cinematography and learn from it, then your films will look more professional.

Yeah, we've made an awful lot of music videos. Thanks for the advice, and we shall start doing more scripted stuff - but currently the main problem is that we just make films on the spur of the moment. Me and Mhairi are going to be planning some short movies soon, which should be interesting. While we plan them we'll look into cinematography, and now when I watch TV I've started looking at how things are done. It's really quite exciting as I've never thought of it before.

Oooh, and here is the list of equipment bought for the MEDIA CLUB:

Apple Mac Pro:

2x Dual Core 3GHz Quad Xeon CPU

16GB RAM

2 x 500GB Hard drives

2 x 30" Apple screens

Nvidia Quadro Graphics Processor

Secondary computer, iMac 24"

2.33GHz Intel Core'2' Duo

3GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT

500GB Hard drive

Field Editing Machine, MacBook Pro:

2.33GHz Intel Core'2' Duo

3GB RAM

200GB Hard drive

And each has Final Cut Pro Studio and Shake.

Then camera wise we have gotten a Canon XL-2 (with wide angle Lens) and a Canon CM-2.

We also got mounts, dollies, cranes, jibs, radio microphones, microphone booms (with dead cats), tracking dolly and lighting kit.

I hope we can put it to good use...

Jesus, that's almost the defenition of overkill. Can you send some of that equipment my way? There's no way that you need all of that... three top of the range Mac's, 2 professional DV camcorders and a shedload of accessories? That's the kind of stuff a start-up production company should have, or a low-budget feature film, not a school media club.

You lucky, lucky sods.

Jesus, that's almost the defenition of overkill. Can you send some of that equipment my way? There's no way that you need all of that... three top of the range Mac's, 2 professional DV camcorders and a shedload of accessories? That's the kind of stuff a start-up production company should have, or a low-budget feature film, not a school media club.

You lucky, lucky sods.

Yeah, it's complete overkill - I don't think anyone expected to get so much stuff. I hope we can live up to it. Oh, and also - it's not a school media club, it's a Shetland wide club.

Anyway, here I have two films.

Sorry, another music video - this was the first video we ever made. The tape was skippy so I thought I wouldn't make it, but I did! So here it is.

This ones mostly not a music video! 10 minutes of joy! Criminals, a rich man, a hilarious corridor scene (:shakehead) and some brownie/blondies. What more could you want?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey movie people! I'm trying to Burn Borat to a DVD but everytime I try the quality is horrible and there's a huge black box all around it... When I watch the movie on my pc the quality is awesome. The resolution is kind of wierd though 608x320...

I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro 2 so I doubt it's a software issue, it's just my fault of not knowing how to use it. So when I click on DVD layout, and I get everything set up. Then I click burn DVD, and then i got settings, it brings me to a screen where all the quality options are and such. And it always wants to stay at the resolution of 720x480 or something wierd like that which then results in the wierd black box... If somebody could suggest a setting to use while burning to dvd I would really appreciate it. ThankS!

Thank God equipment isn't the most important part of quality film making

Latest short clip I did for school:

youtube.com/watch?v=HmwYyX2cSOU

quit happy about it too, but for now, i'm still looking for something new to work on

Hey movie people! I'm trying to Burn Borat to a DVD but everytime I try the quality is horrible and there's a huge black box all around it... When I watch the movie on my pc the quality is awesome. The resolution is kind of wierd though 608x320...

I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro 2 so I doubt it's a software issue, it's just my fault of not knowing how to use it. So when I click on DVD layout, and I get everything set up. Then I click burn DVD, and then i got settings, it brings me to a screen where all the quality options are and such. And it always wants to stay at the resolution of 720x480 or something wierd like that which then results in the wierd black box... If somebody could suggest a setting to use while burning to dvd I would really appreciate it. ThankS!

Uhhh, that seems more of a techy question, ask at the tech board.

I like your hair Sarka.

I hope that wasn't sarcastic, if it wasn't. Thanks! :smile:

Thank God equipment isn't the most important part of quality film making

Latest short clip I did for school:

youtube.com/watch?v=HmwYyX2cSOU

quit happy about it too, but for now, i'm still looking for something new to work on

Hehe, that was cool. How did you do that? Holes in the cups? Or were the cups glued down and someone tipped up the table a lot?

Equipment only really gets important when there is speech (most camcorders seem to try and make speech impossible to hear!), or when you want a nice bright picture. And I love bright pictures! I want a panasonic gs320, but I have no where near the £400 I need. I'm hoping to do some work soon though...

Doesn't really matter about the quality of camera you use, if you spend enough time on the look of it in post-production you can easily make it look like a professional level piece. All you have to worry about is making sure that everything you want to be visible, is visible and that the sound is of decent quality.

Equipment only really gets important when there is speech (most camcorders seem to try and make speech impossible to hear!), or when you want a nice bright picture. And I love bright pictures! I want a panasonic gs320, but I have no where near the £400 I need. I'm hoping to do some work soon though...

Now I don't mean to brag but...

Self portrait of well euh, myself + ...

users.fulladsl.be/spb22119/IMGA0060.JPG

(can't post url's yet)

NV-GS300, after saving for long I got myself a cam somewhere near the end of last year, I wanted something bigger and more professional, but hey, this 'll have to do for a while, though I'm really happy with it

Doesn't really matter about the quality of camera you use, if you spend enough time on the look of it in post-production you can easily make it look like a professional level piece. All you have to worry about is making sure that everything you want to be visible, is visible and that the sound is of decent quality.

When it goes on Youtube the quality buggers off anyway. :heh:

Now I don't mean to brag but...

Self portrait of well euh, myself + ...

users.fulladsl.be/spb22119/IMGA0060.JPG

(can't post url's yet)

NV-GS300, after saving for long I got myself a cam somewhere near the end of last year, I wanted something bigger and more professional, but hey, this 'll have to do for a while, though I'm really happy with it

Sweet! Looks lovely. I'm hoping to be able to afford one around Septemberish... so for the moment I will stick to the joy (:shakehead) of my £200 Canon.

Nope. You have the kinda length I'm aiming for, but yours is a little straighter than mine.

Oooh, thanks. I am thinking of getting it cut pretty short - not sure though... had it like this for around 3 years now.

Presenting my newest video! The almighty "Cake?". Me and my friend Mhairi decided to make a short video, and here it is:

(YouTube)

http://www.greatmaddrin.com/?q=node/19 (GreatMaddrin.com)

True,

I for one do absolutely not care at all about HD etc.

some beers and tv-links and I'll be fine

Thing is nowadays brodcasters and commisioners will only accept HD quality material if they believe its marketable. Which is bollocks because now there's a whole wave of Sony Z-1 cameras in operation within the industry which are positively shite.

Just because they are cheap and HD but altogether pants cameras. I'll take a clunky DSR anyday.

• 3 weeks later...

Oooh, we had equipment night at media club and got to see everything. There is this thing with weights on it for tracking - and it is possibly the coolest thing ever.

Also, I have (several, though I will only advertise one) new movie! It is

. I coposed the soundtrack myself (on GrageBand). Full Quality version at http://www.greatmaddrin.com

I offer you up an obstruction for your next video.

Don't use American accents.

Those are our normal accents! Really! It's awful, we are often asked if we're up here on an exchange. :red:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!