N-Europe

Should I get a Car?

Demuwan

what i mean is that if you will be the main user of the car, but to save money you get your parents to insure the car then go on as a named driver then that policy is invalid and you are driving illegally.

the reason it is cheaper is that it is based on your parents risk, not your risk, and if you will be the main driver of the vehicle then it should be your risk you are paying for. it is insurance fraud, and the term is called 'fronting'

If i were you i'd use that money for university fees.

I'm 16, and learning at the moment (private land :P) I'm planning on just getting my name added to my parents insurance, and using one of their cars, if icneed to drive somewhere. My dad just got his motorcycle license so i'll probably be able to use his car more. :D (once i get my own license)

But what if my parents use the car as well? How do they know that you that your parents don't use the car more but it just happened to be you who drove it.

I think they really don't care as much. It's one of those things that can't be fiscalized that easily. Here, the guy from the insurance recommended me to leave the insurance in my grandpa's name, so that i could pay less.

You can drive with 16? That's cool.

What's more common in England? Automatic shifting or manual?

If you don't intend on using it on a rugular basis don't bother. Luckily I can (just about) afford the costs that come with a car (repairs, tax, insurance, petrol). Don't think just because you have the money to get one that that's the end of it. It's an on going cost if you use it on a daily basis. If you can finance it, awesome go for it. If you can't and are getting it just for the odd social visit wait a few years.

I think they really don't care as much. It's one of those things that can't be fiscalized that easily. Here, the guy from the insurance recommended me to leave the insurance in my grandpa's name, so that i could pay less.

they do care. someone in my office is having a disciplinary hearing tomorrow over fronting. trust me, if you insure yourself as a named driver, make a claim and it is discovered that you are the main driver your policy will be invalidated, or at the very least your payout will be cut drastically. In fact, if for any reason during your policy it is discovered that you are the main driver, rather than a named driver your could be prosecuted for driving without insurance, which will usually result in a ban.