NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Raven

Wii Love Mario Strikers?

Rumor: New Strikers Wii Bound

The sequel to Super Mario Strikers may be shown for Wii at the Leipzig Games Convention.

by Matt Casamassina

August 4, 2006 - Sources close to Nintendo of Europe tell IGN that the company is underway with a sequel to the hit GameCube sports title Super Mario Strikers. Furthermore, insiders allege that the title could be unveiled later this month at the Games Convention 2006 in Leipzig, Germany.

Super Mario Strikers, developed by Next Level Games, marries the sport of soccer with Nintendo's classic Mushroom Kingdom universe. The result is a soccer outing that is arcade-fast and overrun with special pick-ups that enhance the experience. Strikers features a cast of characters that includes Mario, Donkey Kong, Peach, Luigi and Bowser, among others. IGN rated the GameCube project a 7.6 and noted that while its multiplayer mode was very enjoyable, its single-player component lacked depth.

Since its release in the states last December, Super Mario Strikers has sold more than 500,000 copies, effectively making it a sleeper hit and likewise a prime candidate for a Wii sequel.

No details about the Wii version are yet available, but as with most Wii titles, it is very likely to take advantage of Nintendo's unique new controller in some fashion.

Rumors out of France allege that Nintendo may show off as many as five never-before-seen Wii games at GC 2006. The Big N has scheduled a press conference called "Wii prove our promise" for the day prior to the exhibition.

IGN contacted Nintendo of America for comment, but the subsidiary was unable to respond in time for publish.

SOURCE http://wii.ign.com/articles/723/723601p1.html

(this was from the mainpage of revo-europe as well)

i just thought that this needed a thread of its own!

please discuss! i swear, if i see a new strikers game at leipzig, i will wet myself. awesome game on the cube, and nintendo can only improve.

Already posted it on the main-site! I'm getting good at this newsie lark. :)

I'm very interested to see if this is true or not. Right now, i'm not sure, as i feel it could go either way.

Mario soccer has the potential to be big.the gamecube never gave it a chance with the last one!

:D The Gamecube one is a brilliant game, right up there with Smash Bros Melee and Monkey Ball as one of the systems best multiplayer games and really addictive in single player as well. Hopefully this one will have online leagues and tournaments!

I can't believe this game was actually called "Mario Smash Football" in Europe. Every single person I've talked with called it Strikers - probably because it's just cooler.

U know how the english are about the word for soccer.They hate it being called soccer yet even the irish use soccer

I've never played the GC version because I don't like sport games much ,but is it good if you don't like football games much?

It does look quite fun.

Oh dear god no. Strikers is poor, I recently played it at a friends house. I'm a huge football fan, and I get kind of competitive playing football games. But strikers was more like when your 8 years old, and your mum and dad say "don't worry about winning go out there and have fun". I don't want to have fun using items to slap players into electric fences, I want to score goals, I want a free kick when I get fouled. I want Nintendo to make a proper sports game not one of these cheesey novelty mario sport games.

Matt Cassamassina eh?

Hmm, id like to see how you could play such a mental game on the Wii, it'll be intereseting.

Im going to be in Tenerife for the damn conference..

I really liked Strikers, but I thought it could use more depth. The game is best with more than one person on the same team. My friend would score the goals and I would act as his bodyguard- pounding every poor sap that came near him. I'll never get tired of hearing Peach scream as I slap her into the electric fence.

What I would like to see is a stamina system, where constantly pounding enemies or running or super striking will wear out a character, and electric fences cause damage. That way you could have each character have different stats- some could have more stamina but less punch-power or speed, maybe one that can't even super-strike but has enough stamina and speed to run circles around other people.

Possible "stats":

Stamina

Recovery Rate (how quickly you get up, recover stamina)

Punch-Power

Speed

Aim (affects super strikes)

Teamwork (affects passing of entire team)

Ball Handling (affects steals)

Maybe you could even unlock additional "outfits" that would change people's stats/grant them new abilities (immune to electric fence, quick stamina recovery, etc.).

I never got to play the GC one, but I just feel that it would make more sense to announce Wii versions of Mario Baseball, Tennis and Golf seeing as they would work perfectly.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this never-the-less.

Why call it Mario Football, it should be Wii Football to go along with the trend.

went into gamestation to maybe get this game and its £37.99 new and £31.99 preowned. ill have to look at ebay ros oemthing, its ridiculous that they wantt to get rid of GC stuff, and i know its bad that they do but they charge loads for these games. grrrr

I SO need this game!! ShadowV7, this is not a sports game, it's a crazy party game.

I hope it has online, since multiplayer is the core of it.

I've extracted lots of fun from this game from friends and friends, and i call it Strikers too.

Like InvaderElmo said, a deeper system than just smashing everyone everywhere would be nice.

I spent ages looking for this game, ended up ordering it on the internet and I love it!

Played a mate of mine the other day, first game I won 5-4 in sudden death, second game I smashed him 6-2, very satisfying!

I'll tell you one thing they need to make the keepers a bit crapper, they save anything and everything in the original.

The easiest way to score in Strikers (besides the unblockable super strikes) is to do a lob pass to a teammate and have them headbutt it in.

down on the sideline near half way is also a goood place. Have scored some cracking goals that curl right around the goalie into the top corner from there. It's also a pretty good place to sneak a super strike or two from as well!

I'll tell you one thing they need to make the keepers a bit crapper, they save anything and everything in the original.

Man, i love the way the keepers are efficient in this game. They are the machines. Effective and trusty.

But you can always score those stupid goals from the middle of the field where you press B and do a non-charged shot and it just enters...

which just adds more satisfaction when you DO score a goal!

Sign in to follow this