NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
knightendo

GAME and Wii placement :D :D :D

having started work for GAME i've been amazed at just how behind the DS they are. they are no fools, they pushed the psp, yes, when it came out just like the DS when it first arrived, but the PSP is selling abysmally (spelling?) and a lot of people are trading them in for DS Lite's!

talking to my manager she was telling me how GAME are remerchandising themselves this autumn, new mid-shop shelving, and a brand new look to the shop floors and staff etc etc. (as in staff uniform, we're not all being sent out for Extreme Makeovers or anything!!)

the DS is apparently to stay at the front of the shops, taking up more space than the PSP, the Wii will be right beside this, taking up three full bays and maybe a floor unit too. the opposite front bays (at the minute) are unconfirmed but possibly for special offers etc. the 360 is being relegated to the back wall, the chain's official stance is that it is to "pull the already installed base of 360 customers down to the back of the shop past everything else, so they have to look at evertything else on their way past, you see?" the original xbox is being well cut back already, you'll see it getting the cube's treatment sooner than you think folks!

the PC chart will still occupy wall bays but the majority of its software will be on the floor shelving (which is changing to long ailes like you'd see in HMV, instead of those small singular units) along with all the preowned. the psp, ps2 and ps3 (also 3 bays in the average-large GAME shop) will be between all the nintendo goodness and the 360 stuff down the back.

not bad eh? they really ARE gonna push the Wii.

oh, and sony have instructed GAME already that pre-orders for the ps3 will HAVE to be accompanied with a £150 deposit!!! AND the shops will only get enough machines in to cover the EXACT amount of deposits! yep, they're gonna claim "oh look we're so popular we're sold out, and that's making headlines for us, aren't we great" when it's being cooked up by them all along as per usual!

one bad thing about my new job... my manageress is heading to a "special conference" in september in england, and part of it is playing the Wii and i won't be there! argh! lol!

Sounds like good news! I think this all down the huge success of the DS, they obviously think Wii will just be as successful then.

Sounds good to me. Finally, GAME are actually promoting Nintendo products, rather than shoving them at the back in small bays. Still, this is only for your store. Let's hope all GAME stores used the same tactics...

It's also great to see that the DS is doing well. Methinks I'll but a DS Lite soon. Could this be the start of a new golden age for Nintendo?

Still, this is only for your store. Let's hope all GAME stores used the same tactics...

that's the thing, GAME use a universal system for all stores. you go into any GAME store and it'll be the same as any other, give or take a bit for the actual layout of the shop of course.

so, happy days! :D

i still hate shopping at game though.I always use game for trading in games,they give u more for it but buying pre-owned games isn't good there.

At least in ireland they are overpriced for hardware.at least they are not as bad as HMV though.God i will never shop there

GAME in huddersfield have DS at the back still, though it is the most advertiesed, but Gamestation are pushing it.

LUCKY LUCKY MAN!!!!

who, me? lol.

well, needless to say if we hear of anything i'll let you all know asap.

that's the thing, GAME use a universal system for all stores. you go into any GAME store and it'll be the same as any other, give of take a bit for the actual layout of the shop of course.

Nice, happy days indeed!! ^^

that's the thing, GAME use a universal system for all stores. you go into any GAME store and it'll be the same as any other, give or take a bit for the actual layout of the shop of course.

Which is a bugger for stores like ours, they're saying we need all games in the cupboards to be front facing and to use the elastic band system thing (control system or something, the name escapes me) but we can fit the stock downstairs, theres no need to do a big hassle.

Anywho just be cautious, big dreams don't often pan out. It's still in the ideas stage at the moment.

And actually yeah I was speaking to my manager about that conference. Its like a day after he gets back from his honeymoon and hes moaning because he has to spend all day in conferences (honestly, the Wii playing will be in their spare time. They will be made to go to talks about strategies and future plans and stuff like that. Granted Nintendo may offer them a hand on approach).

I seriously doubt the PSP is selling abysmally, when I went in to buy my DS Lite on launch day I saw 2 people in the store come in for PSP's and no one for a Lite.

I seriously doubt the PSP is selling abysmally, when I went in to buy my DS Lite on launch day I saw 2 people in the store come in for PSP's and no one for a Lite.

So your basis for this is 10 minutes within a game store when its open for 9 hours?

Sounds like good news! I think this all down the huge success of the DS, they obviously think Wii will just be as successful then.

If thats the case then I would say GAME are deluded. Don't get me wrong I'm loving the look of the Wii; although I'm sure I'm not the only person who has had their spirits stamped on. People still planning to throw away half a grand for a PS3 when they don't even know about it.

I think abysmally was a hyperbole, perhaps "selling worse than anticipated" would have been better.

If thats the case then I would say GAME are deluded. Don't get me wrong I'm loving the look of the Wii; although I'm sure I'm not the only person who has had their spirits stamped on. People still planning to throw away half a grand for a PS3 when they don't even know about it.

But perhaps they are thinking the same thing will happen that happened with the PSP; hype hype hype, launch, lack of decent software, eventual trade in (or just not using). Not saying it happened for everyone (obviously) but it could do.

lol, ok "abyssmal" is definitely an exaggeration but i was trying to make a point lol. when we look at how the DS is selling in GAME (even before the Lite, although the Lite IS selling much better) against the "mighty" PSP i would definitely use that word though for sony's effort. on an average day we don't sell any, at the weekends when we're much busier maybe a couple. DS Lite's are selling much better, about three or four on our quiet mid-week days and up to ten or so a day at weekends.

anyone who works for the GAME stores that have the KPI figures (sales targets sheets, and no we don't get commission lol) that you have to fill out at the end of each shift will testify that it's actually really easy to keep track of things like this, especially when you're interested in your job, just incase anyone was thinking i was just making this up ;) lol.

and ashley, i think you hit the nail on the head with what GAME is predicting. i think maybe they're expecting the ds to have a knock-on effect for the wii, and after the performance of the PSP after the initial "hype period" coupled with the high price point for the ps3, it definitely sounds like the wii has a better chance of sustaining itself over a longer period of time. and lets not forget the varied audience it could bring in too.

oh, and ashley, even if the wii is only for the spare time during the conference i'm SURE they'll all be on it lol! does ur store really have to elastic-band all its games' guts? we put them inside their manuals and that's it, thank god!!! they probably don't want people running backwards and forwards to storerooms all the time, especially during peak seasons. is a pain having to gut every title that comes thru tho, granted... :hmm:

Either you've copied some ones post off ONM, or some ones copied your post and put it on ONM forums and is being quoted on http://www.gonintendo.com Knightendo.

Just giving the heads up, i just noticed this..

OR your on ONM forums and posted this there too, every possible situation covered!

haha, i've never made the front page in anything lol! yeh i posted here, then decided after a while to post it on ONM's site too since i talk to a few people over there too. lol. doesn't take long for the word to spread does it?

share the love an' all ;)

Ha fair doo's, congrats.

lol, nothing to do with me, i'm just the messenger... someone spotted it here so it's more to do with revo europe's popularity :) lol!

oh, and ashley, even if the wii is only for the spare time during the conference i'm SURE they'll all be on it lol! does ur store really have to elastic-band all its games' guts? we put them inside their manuals and that's it, thank god!!! they probably don't want people running backwards and forwards to storerooms all the time, especially during peak seasons. is a pain having to gut every title that comes thru tho, granted... :hmm:

No offense, but this is the main thing that stops me from shopping in GAME anymore. Why 'gut' the games? I mean they are all nice and nintendo sealed/cellophane wrapped when they arrive, and then they are ripped open and gutted! :nono:

Sometimes things like the 'stars' leaflet even go missing :red:

Why not just use display cases? Im sure most games companies would provide them if asked OR just the sleeve inserts which could be placed into a standard DVD case for display...

Sorry, just my little rant! : peace:

No offense, but this is the main thing that stops me from shopping in GAME anymore. Why 'gut' the games? I mean they are all nice and nintendo sealed/cellophane wrapped when they arrive, and then they are ripped open and gutted! :nono:

Sometimes things like the 'stars' leaflet even go missing :red:

Why not just use display cases? Im sure most games companies would provide them if asked OR just the sleeve inserts which could be placed into a standard DVD case for display...

Sorry, just my little rant! : peace:

I know what you mean. Im pretty weird when it comes to my games as I like them sealed. What stops me from buying games from GAME are their prices as they just cant compete with online stores such as Gameplay and Play.

Overall though this is great news if it all comes together and like it has been said this is all due to the success of the DS. To think this was classed as a gimmick machine and now it has basically destroyed all comers especially in Japan.

Sounds good to me. Finally, GAME are actually promoting Nintendo products, rather than shoving them at the back in small bays. Still, this is only for your store. Let's hope all GAME stores used the same tactics...

yeah! who could possibly imagine a big business jumping on the wii bandwagon to get money! [/sarcasm]

of course they will. the more hype the system gets, the more floorspace it will get.

Why 'gut' the games? I mean they are all nice and nintendo sealed/cellophane wrapped when they arrive, and then they are ripped open and gutted! :nono:

Because when you gut the games you have almost zero stock on the shop floor that would-be thieves can steal. Remember how small DVD boxes are and how much a single game can be worth (especially a Gamecube game at release....). I work in Gamestation and we do the same thing, it's not weird at all. Oh, and we make it a point to keep the Star point cards with the game so that the buyer gets them :)

Worth pointing out that almost everyone who works in my store plans to get a Wii, so my manager will be going out of his way to promote the console (he already does, thankfully).

Sign in to follow this