NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
somme

Science Fiction

At the end of series 2, the network decided to give it 2 more seasons and then leave it. Despite much higher viewing figures with series 3 (Best Trek series ever imo) and 4 (Second best :P ) they went along with the plan and stopped it there and then. Gits.

Beebop is a very cool sci fi. the style is so much fun with the cool ass jazzy soundtrack and all that. unfortunatly, the movie has an utterly terrible plot; the badguy just makes no sense whatsoever. If he ever did it was lost in translation.

Yeah, that's a fair comment. It's what I like to call the Bruckheimer motive. "Why is all this crap blowing up?" "I dunno, does it matter?"

The series is brilliant though, it's eccentric characters and constant oscilation between drama, comedy and action actually gives it some similarity with Doctor Who more than anything else.

I wouldn't really classify Bebop as Sci-Fi. It's not that it's not set in space, or that it doesn't feature science from the future but it has no philosophy about those things at all. This is shown by the fact that the way they live their lives isn't that different to nowadays. To me saying that it is Sci-Fi is like calling Metroid Prime a FPS; it's not that it doesn't have the elements of what describes a FPS but it's not really what it is about.

I think you're mis-analysing the sci-fi genre. You metioned that it has science from a fictional future. Well there you have it. It's a Science-Fiction show. The fictional technology featured may not always play as big a part as say, Star Trek, but it is still a sci-fi show. That's not to say there aren't shows, games or movies that straddle such a line between what can be considered "Sci-Fi" and what is just "futuristic drama", but in my opinion there is no distinction.

I'm not sure what you mean about the "philosphy" of Sci-fi. I have never actually seen anything philsophical that can be considered exclusive to sci-fi. In Star Trek all the philosphy is usual based around some kind of political or diplomatic drama, or sometimes some great, fantastical discovery. The Matrix delves very effectively into senses of state and perceptions of exsistence, but this is a concept which has been discussed since long before some baked Dutch guy observed that he thought, and therefore he was. Battlestar Galactica is, first and foremost, an American politcal millitary drama, albeit with the part of the Communists played by robots. Ultimately I believe that Sci-Fi is just the fantasy genre with bleeping lights, the mystic realms and spirit plains derived from Celtic myth replaced with holodecks and nebulas, and even then those continue to appear to give folks like Capt. Picard and the SG-1 team another bad day.

Going back to Cowboy Bebop, there's more than enough computer hackery, stargates, combat drugs, blackholes and weird and wonderful spaceships floating around to justify the science part of it. When religous leaders start popping out of TVs, mystic Zen finding long lost fathers and disused spy satalites start feeling lonely, well, there's the fiction, or more accurately, the fantasy.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law.

Since we're taking the anime door here, and accepting that anime can be classified as science fiction, I'm going to go ahead and throw out the big one here.

I don't even need to say it's name, by now most of you should know what it is.

I've never got Evangelion. Big Robots are all very well, but I always thought the characters were rather flat and as a result it doesn't keep it together when things get really weird.

Since we're taking the anime door here, and accepting that anime can be classified as science fiction, I'm going to go ahead and throw out the big one here.

I don't even need to say it's name, by now most of you should know what it is.

Ghost in the shell!!!!

I've never got Evangelion. Big Robots are all very well, but I always thought the characters were rather flat and as a result it doesn't keep it together when things get really weird.

This isn't the topic to discuss which anime is the best, but you sir are a sinner. Maybe it's just me, but aside RahXephon, none of the anime produced in recent years touches Evangelion. Rose-tint-me-do.

Hastily moving back on-topic, can Quantum Leap be considered Sci-Fi? If so, sign me up.

This isn't the topic to discuss which anime is the best, but you sir are a sinner. Maybe it's just me, but aside RahXephon, none of the anime produced in recent years touches Evangelion. Rose-tint-me-do.

Hastily moving back on-topic, can Quantum Leap be considered Sci-Fi? If so, sign me up.

I can assure you I was thinking about Evangelion purely in terms of a sci-fi show. Animated or live, it's all the same to me. Some people obviously like it and some don't, it does seem to be one of these marmite things. And yes, Quantum leap is very definitly a sci-fi show. It's time travel for petes sake.

At the end of the day Enterprise was lucky to get a fourth season, even then it was allowed to finish it

Well, a shortened season, but still a season.

Anyway, they are still working on the next Star Trek film, and are trying to get Matt Damon to play the role of James Tiberius Kirk.

Matt Damon to play the role of James Tiberius Kirk.

All three of my hearts stopped when I first read that. At least the Lost guy JJ Abrahams is making the film.

What are the odds that they crash on a desserted planet? :D

Oh- And 2000's Azumanga > Evangelion imo :P

All three of my hearts stopped when I first read that. At least the Lost guy JJ Abrahams is making the film.

What are the odds that they crash on a desserted planet? :D

Now come on yammy, thats like comparing errr clarissa knows it all to the matrix

Personally i think they are 2 of the best animes to be released in the past 10 years, those 2 and hellsing :3

Oh gawd, I hate lost. Matt Damon's OK, but he'll never fill Shatner's side-pressed flares. I honest;y don't want anymre Kirk. I'd like to see a new 'Trek crew, but this time with a captain or officers who are maybe a bit broken or flawed. Think Hugh Laurie's character from House at the helm and you're halfway there.

Now come on yammy, thats like comparing errr clarissa knows it all to the matrix

Still anime though. WHich is what we were talking about, not just sci fi anime :P

QFT

Azumanga > all sci-fi anime

In fact, Azumanga = Mai HiME = School Rumble > all other anime.

Well, a shortened season, but still a season.

Anyway, they are still working on the next Star Trek film, and are trying to get Matt Damon to play the role of James Tiberius Kirk.

It was hardly 'short', they only shortened it by 4 episodes from the first season. It would be a travesty if that Abrahams **** gets damon, Star Trek has always had a great record of recruiting 'un-famous' actors. We dont need some hollywood know it all.

I thought Enterprise was pap. Was just too boring for me to bother with. Besides Star trek was always fun because it was set way in the future and they had loads of technology etc. Going back in time didn't interest me.

Sign in to follow this