NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
CompSci

what is the best AGP gfx card?

i think it time to swap my aging 9800 pro, for a new card, so guys

what is the best AGP gfx card?

Damn, you make me feel inadquete.

I have a Radeon 9800 Pro and I'm not upgrading anytime soon.

As for your question, probably a 6800 Ultra or X800 XT.

Honestly though, I'd suggest you save up some more pennies and buy a new system, chances are you'll get CPU limited quicker than GPU limited... That is unless you have a really fast machine.

What's the spec of the rest of your machine?

Damn, you make me feel inadquete.

I have a Radeon 9800 Pro and I'm not upgrading anytime soon.

As for your question, probably a 6800 Ultra or X800 XT.

Honestly though, I'd suggest you save up some more pennies and buy a new system, chances are you'll get CPU limited quicker than GPU limited... That is unless you have a really fast machine.

What's the spec of the rest of your machine?

asus a78nx delux (bios rev 1008 for PCB 2.0)

amd athlon xp 3200+ @ 2.21ghz

1.5gb Pc3200 ram

9800 Pro 128mb (256bit) With omega 5.9's

Win Xp pro sp2 (LEGIT :indeed: )

p.s i will be properly buying a new machine when Windows vista specs or when the o/s is itself is released

The best money can buy is probably a X800 XTPE.

I'l second that.

The best is a Geforce 6800 Ultra.

Avoid the ATI as they lack SM3.0 and are still on 2.0. Which means you cant do things like HDR lighting in many games or turn all graphics features on.

Also his CPU is fine provided it is 64bit. AMD 3200 kicks more expensive P4's arses. He has most to gain from upgrading his graphics card.

p.s i will be properly buying a new machine when Windows vista specs or when the o/s is itself is released

Put up with your Radeon for the time being then.

His pc is more than enough for vista. Vista requirements are very low. Its not like Battlefield 2 :P

Its wiser to wait for hardware releases rather than software to buy a pc

Vista requirements wouldnt even make a low end laptop struggle its alot like xp.

With an AthlonXP 3200, anything more than an X800 XT PE is overkill, as you'll be bottlenecked by the processor. Overclockers.co.uk have ASUS's X800 XT PE on their sale this week for £205. It's a fantastic card - I've got one sitting in my machine overclocked to 540mhz core and 590mhz memory, and it runs very well.

The best is a Geforce 6800 Ultra.

Avoid the ATI as they lack SM3.0 and are still on 2.0. Which means you cant do things like HDR lighting in many games or turn all graphics features on.

Also his CPU is fine provided it is 64bit. AMD 3200 kicks more expensive P4's arses. He has most to gain from upgrading his graphics card.

It's an Athlon XP. No Athlon XPs are 64 bit.

Don't talk about what you don't know.

You are correct about the Radeons lacking Shader Model 3, but you are VERY INCORRECT about it limiting HDR.

With an AthlonXP 3200, anything more than an X800 XT PE is overkill, as you'll be bottlenecked by the processor. Overclockers.co.uk have ASUS's X800 XT PE on their sale this week for £205. It's a fantastic card - I've got one sitting in my machine overclocked to 540mhz core and 590mhz memory, and it runs very well.

£205 are you sure?

so what should i do then, i want to play fear at high, £205 is very appealing...

Buy, thats very cheap :)

Also, As far as i'm aware Pixel Shader 3.0 is exactly the same as 2.0, just faster. And my X800 XTPE can run the HDR on DoD: Source just fine Choze ;)

That £175 doesn't include VAT. Either way, go for it - it's a solid card and the stock fan is nigh-on silent most of the time.

Why do you feel the need to ditch you're 9800 pro? It's a good card and can run the latest games piss easy.

Why do you feel the need to ditch you're 9800 pro? It's a good card and can run the latest games piss easy.

it is a good card I do not denigh it (heck it provided me with valuable halo experience at high fsp to which i will never forget) but dude have u ran fear? the damn game near melted the 9800 pro, (literally), secondly x800xtpe for £175, is a damn near steal

Furthermore i have a mate who may buy the 9800 pro off me for a £100, to which i just a £90 more and get the x800xtpe

If someones going to buy the 9800 Pro for £100 straight up and then it's just £90 more for the X800 XT PE, go for it. There's no point even thinking about this.

General graphics card question for those who are in the know on such matters...

I recently got a new computer, which has an "Intel Extreme" graphics card inside. I can only presume it is called extreme because that's how pissed off people get with it when Doom 3 crashes at the same bit every time I, I mean they, play it because the card can't handle it. In my old PC I had a "Connect3D Radeon 9600 Pro 128 MB" which ran most games splendidly, what I'd like to know is, would it be worth putting my 9600 in my new PC or is there a good card around the £100-£150 mark which will last me at least until UT2007?

Ta alles.

If your new computer has a slot for the 9600 Pro, put it in.

The Intel Extreme graphics are the cheapest, nastiest onboard basic graphics you can get.

The 9600 Pro is pretty sweet.

Something like a Radeon 9800 Pro or a GeForce 6600 GT would last you for a while.

I only got my 9800 pro about 6 months back, i will keep it for another year or 2. It works fine on hl2, rome total war, and cs:source, and thats all i care about for now.

Something like a Radeon 9800 Pro or a GeForce 6600 GT would last you for a while.

Wait did you even read the thread, at all?

Sign in to follow this