NEurope
Android18a

I want to form an Anime company to publish titles in the UK...

Would this be possible without winning the lottery? I'm fed up of the UK getting a bum deal with Anime releases, and I want to do something about it.

Anybody want to join me in my effort to see the UK get anime titles like Air, To Heart, Mahoraba, Viewtiful Joe, Elfen Lied, Bistro Cupid etc? Is it possible?

Im very interested. What exactly do you want to acheive?

I think this is a great idea and im willing to help as much as possible.

You'de need licencing... which costs a stupid amount of money. Also, many who buy anime DVD's here want it dubbed not just subbed. Its a hard task, but if you have alot of money go for it :P

I think maybe looking for artists who are interested in manga and publishing might be a better idea?

I dunno, its anime more than manga I'm interested in, but I do see that manga would be easier - especially since it only requires a straight translation than a dub or subtitle timing...

I'm just not sure how to go about it, obviously learning Japanese is a must, and it would be ideal if any other Japanese speakers could help out too...

I'm in over my head just thinking about it, I fear.

What I meant really, was that considering the incredible ammount of money it would cost to try and even attemot to publish one of the major Japanese animes such as air or bleach, it would surely be a better idea to start small. Manga requires no animation and is simple to create if you have the artistry. Therefore, my idea was that, if possible, it would be cool to start up a manga publishing company where you try and find undiscovered, talented manga artists and writers to create anime which you could publish, somewhat like a record label in the music industry.

It would be impossible to do tbh, unless as you say, you won the lottery.

The financing needed not only to license, sub/dub/rework for UK market, promotion...would be astronomical for a quality show.

But finding young talented drawing and creating a manga issue wouldnt cost the world, and would be rewarding hopefully both financially and personally. The only price would be printing costs, and say you split the profit with the artist/writers.

The fact is, not many shops would be willing to give shelf space to an unproven title.

Look at the trouble Neo magazine had(and still does have) with shlef space. Only a limited ammount of shops carry it. If you were to do a UK drawn manga magazine, then it would have to be sold online imo.

That would be fine. I dont see the problem with that. Cuts out the middleman. It would be beneficial for everyone as you could sell them at a reduced price. Tbh at first you could only print probably 500 copies or something and so it would be useless to try and make it mainstream at first. If you get known though the possibilities might be endless. You just have to work at it.

i think you should asses the market a lot more before getting stuck in. Is it really a profitable buisiness? You'll need a foundation first, buying all the licenses and managing packing and distributing issues will be tough. And although there are a lot of anime fans out there, do you think you'll have a broad enough market? And as mentioned, who's going to translate it all? How does one go about paying their employees?

Good luck if you go ahead with it.

i'd support you, cos i agree that we get shitty deals

But i think the shitload of concerns over something like that has already been mentioned by the people before me

Anime isn't exactly a giant thing in europe, or at least I don't think so. Maybe it would be a better thing to try an online comic and selling magazines of them of something. Like that guy with the glasses.

I think anime just hasnt broken these borders. America never really gripped anime but as soon as they brough the big shots over like one piece and naruto now, the US is anime-krazee

I didn't know One Piece was so big. Probably just because of the "rappy" theme tune, which I hated, alot.

Not as bad as 4Kids with there horrid rap replacements in Pokemon I guess.

I've got 124 episodes of One Piece and 46 of Bleach.

I know, bitch at me, I need to complete everything...

I think anime just hasnt broken these borders. America never really gripped anime but as soon as they brough the big shots over like one piece and naruto now, the US is anime-krazee

No...anime has been profitable in america for quite some time now, and for a long time before naruto and one piece.

just dont do dubs...dubs ruin anime.

I hate you....... :lmao:

lol; sub whores piss me off tbh, I can't understand why people don't like dubs. I admit, apart from Bleach, every show I have is dubbed.

I do hate it when cynics think that every dubed anime is crap, I mean the original Japanese actors themselves don't always Voice-act brilliantly and nobody bats an eyelid.

They're just fucking elitests eh?

Dubs are for dubbies, subs are for subbies. I'll watch whatever although I do prefer my anime in as much English as possible. I'm not talking the kinda pigeon English you find on bootlegged fansub DVDs either, I'm talking the real Queen's stamp of approval all over that crazy-eyed shit.

Usually you find people who hate on dubs don't really have much reason to do so. They're either hopping on that hateful bandwagon, or throwing relentless unwarrented hate at the company in question because of some supposed past misconduct involving their beloved Japanese being raped in the dubbing process. Sure, there have been some dubs one might consider awful compared to the original, but the quality of the original voice acting is kind of wank too. There's very little variation in Japanese voices, and most of them almost always sound flat and emotionless. I just get a bigger kick out of an English voice talking than this horrible 10 year old child voice babbling in a language I have absolutely no desire to understand.

Japanese flows smoother than English? That's total horse shit. Japanese flows like verbal diarrhea. If I spelled that right. Especially brown is the verbal habit of the Japanese child, so high and squeaky that it forces the eardrums to bleed violently.

Just enjoy anime, dubbed or not. Hey, if the dub you get isn't to your liking... you can always use this vast pirate vessel the Internet to obtain your favourite original fansubbed series illegitimately.

As for creating your own company, go for it. Although the market here isn't as expensive as the USA... yet, I'm certain the doorway will someday open for smaller companies to make a mint selling such Japanese wondershows as PRETTY FLAMING WINGED HERO JEHOVA Z. Such creative titles.

No...anime has been profitable in america for quite some time now, and for a long time before naruto and one piece.

Of course it has been profitable, just like toonami are finding out over here, however it has never been as big as it is now especially since Naruto with massive stores like Hot Topic having huge contracts to distribute merchandise etc.