NEurope
Goron_3

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

OR and this is crazy, it's just an error they haven't fixed yet. Crazy, I know.

You're crazy!!

I'm seriously hoping this turns out to be more than just another "survivor" like game. But I'm not too hopeful, to be honest...

Well, it's a shoot'em up that's for sure, but the other survivors weren't part of the main story, nor were they made by Capcom, so I have higher hopes for this.

I refuse to believe that a light-pistol shooter isn't worth buying.

'nuff said.

I'm seriously hoping this turns out to be more than just another "survivor" like game. But I'm not too hopeful, to be honest...

Hey, it looks sweet, one of the best looking games on the Wii, it makes use of the Wii-mote, it's made by Capcom, and it chronicles all the previous RE games, plus new stuff. I have very high hopes for this one.

Apparently, according to this interview, Masachika Kawata has expressed interest in remaking other RE titles (of the first three) for the Wii (in RE4Wii style, from the sound of it). Sadly, there's no online planned for RE:UC. Goodbye online co-op :(

Also, when asked why RE5 isn't developped for the Wii, he replies that RE:UC (or RE4Wii, didn't quite catch that) is a test to see how well the series would perform on the Wii.

More on RE:UC : They're still looking into how they could use other Wiimote functionalities or the Nunchuck in the game. It will be more than just a simple light-gun game, but will try to tie up and explain more of the story in the RE game. RE1 and RE3 were specifically mentioned in the interview, giving the impression that RE2 isn't present?

No plans or ideas for an RE game on the PSP.

They (him and other old staff members) would like to do a new Dino Crisis game, but there's currently nothing in the works.

[Talks about how he start up at Capcom]

Q: What inspire you to develop a new episode of the serie Resident Evil on Wii? [WTF, UC is not a new episode...]

A: The Wii-mote was perfectly adapted to that kind of game.

Q: What do you think about third-party support on Wii in general. What drove you to develop on Wii instead of working on PS3 or X360?

A: The basic concept of Resident Evil is to run with guns and shoot everywhere [!!!], so from that perspective, it was really interesting to take full advantage of the uniqueness of the Wii. We wanted to create a balance between the shootings and the horror.

Q: We gave Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition an excellent score. Why isn't Capcom bringing RE5 to Wii? As we seen with that game, impressive graphics can be done on that platform as well.

A: Decisions surrending the RE5 project were taken a long time ago [perhaps even before Nintendo unveiled Wii-mote?] and they needed to choose quickly on which platform they wanted to develop it. They haven't decided if they will port RE5 on Wii yet. So in a way this game (RE4:Wii); well both games [i think the translator switch Kawata's words to point both games] will help us to test the market, to see if developing this genre on this plateform is interesting. The decision is not made yet.

Source: http://www.jeux-france.com/news20790_interview-video-masachika-kawata.html; http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170056

Apparently, according to this interview, Masachika Kawata has expressed interest in remaking other RE titles (of the first three) for the Wii (in RE4Wii style, from the sound of it).
YES PLEASE!! Resi 2 & 3!! I don't want to see any more of Resi 1 for a LONG time!!
[WTF, UC is not a new episode...]
The final part of RE:UC will be!
A: Decisions surrending the RE5 project were taken a long time ago [perhaps even before Nintendo unveiled Wii-mote?] and they needed to choose quickly on which platform they wanted to develop it. They haven't decided if they will port RE5 on Wii yet. So in a way this game (RE4:Wii); well both games [i think the translator switch Kawata's words to point both games] will help us to test the market, to see if developing this genre on this plateform is interesting. The decision is not made yet.
I think Resi 4 and RE:UC will sell great on Wii!

Resi 5 port please!!

Tbh, with the sluggish sales of PS3 and to some extend 360 (esp in Japan), it doesn't surprise me to see that they might consider the Wii, especially considering how amazing the Resi4 control scheme is.

Let's hope the cut price PS3 only hurts Sony financially and fails to boost sales. I want the PS3 dead and RE5 and MGS4 on my Wii!

So in a way this game (RE4:Wii) will help us to test the market, to see if developing this genre on this plateform is interesting.

Everyone buy this game once more!!

Tbh, with the sluggish sales of PS3 and to some extend 360 (esp in Japan),
So true!

I think Resi 5 could be in some trouble when you consider the ammount of time/money they're putting into the game!

Hopefully Resi4 Wii and RE:UC really proves themselves, outsell Resi 5 and Capcom bring Resi 5 to Wii in order to make some of their money back on the game!

Well Resi 4 has sold very well on the Wii, so I'm sure Capcom will defintley consider giving us the next chapter! All the main Resi tiltles (0-4) are avaivable on a Nintendo console, so finish the story for us Nintendo nuts!

Sigh! People believe that Re5 and Mgs4 could be ported on the Wii.

Well Resi 4 was ported onto the PS2, and many thought that wasn't possible....

Well Resi 4 was ported onto the PS2, and many thought that wasn't possible....

Kinda different. But hey, who knows.

MGS4 obviously won't be ported.

Re5 however is a different story. They've barely released info about it for ps3 and 360, so who knows.

Hey if Masachika Kawata said this...

...then who knows!!

I wouldn't have thought it anywhere near possible until I read that!

Using RE:UC to test the waters of the Wii for a RE title is like using a Mario Tennis game on PS3 to test the waters for a Mario platformer.... A little stupid in my opinion, total different kind of games.

I WOULD buy a RE2 Wiimake, though. Yes, I would.

total different kind of games.
Not really, in the sense that they are both mature titles and Resi games; and Capcom want to see how mature titles and the Resi series sell on Wii, before commiting more of the series to it!

Simple question, do you think if RE5 was possible on the Wii, they wouldn't already have annouced it for the console?

Exactly, it's not possible. When the Wii 2 comes out it will probably be ported as the console could handle it, but not for the Wii as we currently know it.

All this 'testing the water' stuff is nonsense. How many Resi Evil games were on a Microsoft consoles before? Zero. All the Resi Evil's sold excellently on the GameCube, the market is there, just the console simply can't handle the game.

The reason that the other two consoles were chosen is because they share similar technical abilities and thus it would not be too difficult to share the games between the systems. Releasing a game on two systems rather than one gives it a better chance of selling (most of the time). That's why Capcom made this decision. If they figure that it has a chance of selling on Wii that covers the losses of porting the game (which at the moment seems quite probable,) then yes it could happen. Why have they not announced it already? Because no one thought the Wii was going to sell as well as it is at the moment.

Simple question, do you think if RE5 was possible on the Wii, they wouldn't already have annouced it for the console?
We could discuss that, but what the guy said is they didn't decide just yet. That already implies that it could be done or at least attempted. yet, it's not out of the table, but it's not in the table either. that's still better than a final "no"

Besides... They said the same from RE4 on PS2.

To keep it short, Framework engine were it runs makes no sense on wii not because of graphical power but because it's a multicore engine, but... PS3/X360 and PC are crossplatform meaning they're not ports of the same game.

For Wii you'd be obliged to port, you'd have to have a dedicated team working on it, still it probably wouldn't be harder than Ps2 port, and perhaps they'd have to make less compromises, at least there's no need to convert 24 bit textures into 8 bit ones or cut polycounts in half (yet it was needed for PS2).

The game is on Xbox also because it's cheap, and they've started working on it a while ago before they foreseen Wii's success (actually what the guy said was this)

So... X360/PC/PS3 combination was better than a Wii exclusive back then. But that doesn't necessarily make a Wii version impossible.

The reason that the other two consoles were chosen is because they share similar technical abilities and thus it would not be too difficult to share the games between the systems. Releasing a game on two systems rather than one gives it a better chance of selling (most of the time). That's why Capcom made this decision. If they figure that it has a chance of selling on Wii that covers the losses of porting the game (which at the moment seems quite probable,) then yes it could happen. Why have they not announced it already? Because no one thought the Wii was going to sell as well as it is at the moment.
Precisely.

Not really, in the sense that they are both mature titles and Resi games; and Capcom want to see how mature titles and the Resi series sell on Wii, before commiting more of the series to it!

Well, to keep to my comparison, Mario Tennis and a Mario platformer are both games for the whole family. I would NOT buy a Mario Tennis but I would buy a platformer, so I don't see how one tests an audience for the other. But of course I'm being subjective... and I do not represent a large group of consumers and I do not buy games based on their ratings. If a game is "mature" and sucks, it's a no-no.

As for UC, I'm still a bit skeptical about this game, that's why I doubt it'll be a decent test for other, let's say "proper" RE games. But I still have an open mind about UC, I'll just wait and see.

Very well said!

I really hope we see Resi 2 & 3 (Resi 4 style) on Wii!!