N-Europe

Football Season 2006/2007

Stocka

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You cannot say this has been an average season for a Villa fan. New owner, new manager, new era, this season was really exciting, and next season will be even more so.

We've got a chance to be in the UEFA Cup, we've come second in the Fair Play League behind Spurs, now we're in the hat for some draw to be made at Hampden Park inbetween the UEFA Cup Finalists' Press Conferences.

I'm definitely getting next seasons shirt, but I'm not too keen on the new writing, it looks basic compared to the now-old font.

Edit: Who the feck is Chris Hutchings?

Edit: Who the feck is Chris Hutchings?

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but he was at Bradford with Paul Jewell as well, and replaced Jewell then when Jewell quit Bradford as well, but was later sacked after they won like only 1 game, against Chelsea I think...they got relegated that year...not a great omen for Wigan fans...

EDIT:

Just read the report on skysports, yeah he was at Bradford with Jewell, I was right! YAY for me!

Gutted about Paul Jewell leaving Wigan. :( After six years service he's done some fantastic work for the club, getting them into the top half of the league in their 25th year as a league team, before getting into the Premiership two years later.

Thank you PJ! We won't forget you!

Shocked to see Paul Jewell go....Man City it is i'd imagine...

I'm not saying Benitez is a bad manager by any means, but I don't think he's the best manager in the premiership. At the moment (who knows what the close season will bring) I don't think liverpool have the best squad in the premiership either and I think there'd need to be some significant changes for that to happen. We're talking about winning the league here and you have to finish above everyone else to do that.

Liverpool are good at the glory ties, the big games, the dream nights in xxxxx, pulling a 3 goal fightback or 30 yard screamer out of nothing at just the right time. The day to day slog in the prem, they've sometimes looked very ordinary and not massively motivated and that's where the inconsistancy comes in and effects their position in the league. If that's down to the players or the management staff not being able to motivate them I don't know. Similar with us this season, we've played really well and/or got good results against liverpool, man u, chelsea and arsenal this season and not turned up against the likes of Sheffield and dropped points.

We finished above them the season before the dodgy Russian waded in...

It has been the players, not the manager, I really can't pin point it other than to say that we have been out of the race before October, year after year....

We don't have the best squad yet and won't do for a long time, but Don't rule us out

I can understand Paul Jewell leaving Wigan, who wants to manage a team whose stadium is half empty for games against the big sides and quarter full for the rest?

Yeah, I can understand it, he has signed players he thought we could keep them challenging, but they haven't and things aren't going to get any easier, it will be hard to get in better players for the reason's you say about the stadium and lack of fans....that's what happens when a new club starts and gets through the divisions so fast and have no heritage...

Chris Hutching's who is taking over was Assistant to Jewell at Bradford, after Bradford escaped relegation in a similar way, Jewell resigned allowing Chris To take over...

and guess what happend, they got relegated...

Hopefully Wigan can stay up, and comfortably, they are awesome to be honest

I think Jewell is gonna end up at Man City. Tevez would be good for liverpool but Rafa needs too buy a goalscorer with Tevez playing off behind him. Kuyt Works hard but I am not convinced he will score many goals. Rafa spent £10m on the wrong guy, should of signed Berbatov instead.

Berbatov turned down Man Utd for Spurs, he wouldn't have signed for Liverpool would he?

This will annoy all the Liverpool fans, but whilst I believe they have a great Cup squad and can achieve a lot under those circumstances, they just don;t seem to have the what it takes to match eitehr Chelsea or Man Utd when it comes to the Premiership. They're just not strong enough.

I know they finished third, but it was a weak third, 15 points behind 2nd place, and 21 behind the winners. They only narrowly scrapped in third as well, by a single goal in goal difference.

Zechs, you gotta admit that once Liverpool secured a top four finish, they didnt seem to care about winning the last few games. If it was necessary I'm sure the likes of Fulham and Charlton would have been dispatched with.

The Pool needa get off to a quick start in the league next season, being out of the title race by Halloween just isnt good enough.

Liverpool haven't been interested in the Premiership since they realised they had a chance in the Champions League. Anyway, you can continue to write us off, I love proving people wrong and laughing at them afterwards. :laughing:

This will annoy all the Liverpool fans, but whilst I believe they have a great Cup squad and can achieve a lot under those circumstances, they just don;t seem to have the what it takes to match eitehr Chelsea or Man Utd when it comes to the Premiership. They're just not strong enough.

I know they finished third, but it was a weak third, 15 points behind 2nd place, and 21 behind the winners. They only narrowly scrapped in third as well, by a single goal in goal difference.

We do not have a good enough squad, thats evident, the past 3 seasons have been hampered constantly by poor starts, but don't rule us out, I am not saying we are going to win it of course, but put it this way...

Chelsea have spent Millions

Man Utd have built a team over 20 Years

Arsenal have had Wenger for 8 Years...

Now we have Benitez, who will have substantial amounts of money for the first time, can finally bring us forward once more. We are one or two players short and I believe next year if we can get a good start we CAN be there or there abouts come May '08...Don't Rule us out yet

Have to admit though, Liverpool FC don't get much credit on these forums, if Utd had achieved what Benitez has in the past 3 years we would never hear the end of it. 2 EUROPEAN CUP FINALS in 3 YEARS is nothing to be sniffed at, we have beaten winners of their respective leagues and have come out on top, credit where it is due guys....

Zechs, you gotta admit that once Liverpool secured a top four finish, they didnt seem to care about winning the last few games. If it was necessary I'm sure the likes of Fulham and Charlton would have been dispatched with.

The Pool needa get off to a quick start in the league next season, being out of the title race by Halloween just isnt good enough.

In A Nutshell, Once we had top four, 3rd or 4th, It didn't matter, we had bigger fish to fry in the Champions League, and now we are in the final.

3rd Place + A CL Final Place, All in All not a BAD season, but yes we do need a good start to compete to the end in the Premiership...

Rafa needs to buy a quality defender with genuine pace. Also a RB who can go forward as Finnan is a great defender but going forward is pretty poor. RW as Pennant is not good enough and a quality striker.

But it is not just players he needs, Rafa needs too be more attacking. Liverpool will never win the league playing the football they do at the moment. It is too cautious especially against the top 4 and way too many long ball aimed at crouch.

It was not the CL run wich effected Liverpool's title race as they were out of it in october which is a disgrace.

Rafa needs to buy a quality defender with genuine pace. Also a RB who can go forward as Finnan is a great defender but going forward is pretty poor. RW as Pennant is not good enough and a quality striker.

But it is not just players he needs, Rafa needs too be more attacking. Liverpool will never win the league playing the football they do at the moment. It is too cautious especially against the top 4 and way too many long ball aimed at crouch.

It was not the CL run wich effected Liverpool's title race as they were out of it in october which is a disgrace.

Steve Finnan is so underated it's scary, Easily been one of Liverpool's most consistant performers over the past 3 Years, getting forward wise I think he is awesome, but you do have a point, their are better RB that can go forward, Alves maybe?

RW you have a point, once again maybe Alves, He can play their as wel?

Striker, Couldn't agree more, personally I would want Owen back, I would fugging love it if we got him..

Benitez I feel is short of 2 players of competing for the league title, a striker and a RW...His ideas and tactics are spot on, just the players aren't producing, or weren't as the case maybe at the beginning of the season

An excellent article by a non-Newcastle fan about the baffling jealousy and bitterness displayed by some fans over the Micheal Owen saga...

http://www.lukewhostalking.co.uk/2007/05/jealousy_and_bitterness.html

I ain't got time to read that, but will give my view when I get home

Well, Big Sam likely to be appointed at 1pm. I can see St Jame's out my window at the moment and I feel like I can already hear the mongs gathering. Do other clubs have this phenomina where Sky Sports have an uncanny ability to seek out the most utterly fuck-witted fans to parade on telly? I know it's more likely today because you've got to be a bit of a simpleton with nowt else to do to hang around outside the ground when there's a press conference on, but they seem to have a 100% record of just putting gurning cretins on the telly every time they want a comment from a toon fan. I can see what SSN at 1:30 is going to be like now, someone from a toon board I post on summed up how it'll be brilliantly...

"Are you pleased with Sam's appointment then?"

"Aye deffuntly....deffuntly....aye. Think ehhhhh he's like ye kna like sort of what wuh need like. Propa sort the dressun room out and that."

"Are you concerned about the style of football you'll play"

"Aye deffuntly. Whey. Nah not really."

"Do you think he's the man to bring trophies to SJP?"

"Deffuntly aye. Aye deffuntly."

Bluestar, Just had a quick look then, Owen WANTED to Join Liverpool, but we could only get him in January of that season because we never had the money..

I will read it more in depth later on, but I will say one thing, I will not be suprised to see Owen in a Liverpool Shirt Again...

We do not have a good enough squad, thats evident, the past 3 seasons have been hampered constantly by poor starts, but don't rule us out, I am not saying we are going to win it of course, but put it this way...

Chelsea have spent Millions

Man Utd have built a team over 20 Years

Arsenal have had Wenger for 8 Years...

Now we have Benitez, who will have substantial amounts of money for the first time, can finally bring us forward once more. We are one or two players short and I believe next year if we can get a good start we CAN be there or there abouts come May '08...Don't Rule us out yet

Have to admit though, Liverpool FC don't get much credit on these forums, if Utd had achieved what Benitez has in the past 3 years we would never hear the end of it. 2 EUROPEAN CUP FINALS in 3 YEARS is nothing to be sniffed at, we have beaten winners of their respective leagues and have come out on top, credit where it is due guys....

In A Nutshell, Once we had top four, 3rd or 4th, It didn't matter, we had bigger fish to fry in the Champions League, and now we are in the final.

3rd Place + A CL Final Place, All in All not a BAD season, but yes we do need a good start to compete to the end in the Premiership...

Don't worry, I certainly won;t be looking down my nose at Liverpool's achievements, they are a great club with a great history and are the best Champions League club full stop.

I just don;t think they have what t takes to be a title contender. They need to start the season with a bang and keep momentum, I thought both Arsenal and Liverpool threw it away too early last season.

Papers today reporting that Tevez is off to Real Madrid, yet oddly...West Ham will not get a penny, so it does still beg the question as to who actually owns him...regardless of whether West Ham ripped up his third party contract.

Everyone can speculate about where he'd want to be in an ideal world, but Owen wanted premiership football. He couldn't have gone back to the la's who had been gloating "Where were you in istanbull?" at him, because they weren't willing to pay his fee and/or wages - and he had no assurance of playing first team football every week either.

As for the scousers taking a gamble on him and getting him back in a Liverpool shirt I wouldn't be surprised and not all that disappointed to be honest. Dunno if you've seen the Youtube vid of those scousers going on an 'hillarious' road trip to the north east under the premise of getting Owen back, but they drive alongside Freddy Shepherd and ask him. he jokes "I'll fuckin carry him back to liverpool on my back for you" at one point. By the way, if you ever want an alternative to anesthetic for complicated operations, I suggest watching the 20 minute version. One of the film makers is actually a liverpool supporting geordie apparently, hated on the scouse message boards for being a know-it-all glory hunting dick. There was one funny bit though, when they were going "Haha, the ticket office is closed" yes, that's because 1) It's the end of the season and tickets for the last game have already been sold and 2) That's the old ticket office that shut about 4 years ago and the current one is round the corner.

As for the scousers taking a gamble on him and getting him back in a Liverpool shirt I wouldn't be surprised and not all that disappointed to be honest. Dunno if you've seen the Youtube vid of those scousers going on an 'hillarious' road trip to the north east under the premise of getting Owen back, but they drive alongside Freddy Shepherd and ask him. he jokes "I'll fuckin carry him back to liverpool on my back for you" at one point. By the way, if you ever want an alternative to anesthetic for complicated operations, I suggest watching the 20 minute version. One of the film makers is actually a liverpool supporting geordie apparently, hated on the scouse message boards for being a know-it-all glory hunting dick. There was one funny bit though, when they were going "Haha, the ticket office is closed" yes, that's because 1) It's the end of the season and tickets for the last game have already been sold and 2) That's the old ticket office that shut about 4 years ago and the current one is round the corner.

Yeah I saw that on football focus...

Yeah, he's a fat geordie **** who is pretty much hated by all Liverpool fans. Why? See this.

Clone I don't think Benitez tactics are spot on domestically. look how many goals Man Utd have scored compared too Liverpool. Rafa seems too think that by going forward and being more adventures will then cause the team too leak goals but that's not totally true as Man Utd conceded the same amount as Liverpool and were much more adventures.

Benitez is too scared about conceding the 1st goal when really he should have confidence that the team can go on and score 2 goals.

Liverpool also need a LW as Zenden is not good enough and Kewell will never get back to the way he played at Leeds. Florent Malouda would be a great signing as he wants too leave Lyon but Lyon are no mugs and will demand £20m at least.

In regards to Owen, what would people be saying if Liverpool had signed a player for £17 mil, paid him a huge salary and only after starting 12 games he decided he wanted out? Would this type of player not be called Mercenary?

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!