N-Europe

Final Fantasy XII

Zell

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its been out in japan for aaages. Famitsu gave it a perfect score and it basically sold out. It annoys me even more because its been so long since a decent final fantasy game (ffX, because lets face it, ffX-2 was rubbish).

I can't wait for this game, i'll be importing the US version.

Hero-of-Time, i finished Kingdom Hearts II, it's much better than the original that i really enjoyed. KH II is one of my favourite games, mainly becaouse of the story which is, in my opinion, just perfect.

Its been out in japan for aaages. Famitsu gave it a perfect score and it basically sold out. It annoys me even more because its been so long since a decent final fantasy game (ffX, because lets face it, ffX-2 was rubbish).

FFX-2 was such a disappointment for me. You have to get 100% to get the true ending. And then that lizard with the lantern, not the small one but the huge one, he was soooo annoying:nono:

i finished Kingdom Hearts II, it's much better than the original that i really enjoyed. KH II is one of my favourite games, mainly becaouse of the story which is, in my opinion, just perfect.

How's the battle system?

From what I've been hearing is that it just boils down to bashing of the X button.

How's the battle system?

From what I've been hearing is that it just boils down to bashing of the X button.

To be fair I think the first game did but it was still awesome, I cant wait to play the 2nd. I have watched the intro FMV many times on youtube and although the opening song is good I still like Simple and Clean better.

I dont like all these new rpgs like ToS and Kingdom hearts that use this really actiony button basher battle system. It looks that ff12 will use the same sort of thing. I prefered the ATB system or the turn based system used in ff10. Much more strategic.

I dont like all these new rpgs like ToS and Kingdom hearts that use this really actiony button basher battle system. It looks that ff12 will use the same sort of thing. I prefered the ATB system or the turn based system used in ff10. Much more strategic.

I can see where you are coming from but dont let that stop you from playing both the games you mentioned as they are amazing even if the fighting system is a little shallow.

I own ToS and I think its a great game (but obviously cant be compared to final fantasy). I never got kingdom hearts because I picked up a ps2 pretty late. In your opinion is kingdom hearts better or worse than ToS?

I own ToS and I think its a great game (but obviously cant be compared to final fantasy). I never got kingdom hearts because I picked up a ps2 pretty late. In your opinion is kingdom hearts better or worse than ToS?

Kingdom Hearts is better especially if you are a FF fan. The game is simply amazing with a unique storyline and great cameos from the FF universe, also the music within the game is awesome. I love the ending aswell as its very emotional...hell the game is awesome!!!!

I still enjoy Tales but I played it after FFX and the story near the beginning was very similar and the fighting got pretty boring. Dont get me wrong though I still love it but given the choice of playing just 1 of them KH all the way.

Yeah, KH II is mainly a button basher too, but, reaction commands play a BIG part in this game. You activate them by pressing triangle at the right time, or just by hitting triangle non-stop. And, you still have magics and summons, although you won't really need them.

FFX was good but lacked the depth of previous final fantasys (no overworld map?!). ToS was a great game, but lacked a decent story, it was sooo unbelievably cliched (Collete is the chosen one! she's going to save the world! *yawn*). FFIX in my opinion was the perfect rpg, great story/characters, great battle system, lots of side quests, and 70 hours of play. FFVIII was also amazing (but quite a few people i know dont like it as much).

FFIX in my opinion was the perfect rpg, great story/characters, great battle system, lots of side quests, and 70 hours of play.

I am just praying that FFXII can grip me as much as FFIX did. It was a beauty of a game.

Since this is going off topic alot I'd like to say that my fav RPG is Disgaea! Wonderful characters, the gameplay never bores and it's HUUUGE. though it's an SRPG.

And back on topic - I hope this is out here by Christmas!

I used to have FFVIII on PSone but my save was deleted when I was on the second disc and I never bothered with it afterwards. I always wanted to get FFVII and FFIX aswell but When you're 12 it's hard to get the cash. Doubt I'll ever play them now. Unless I ever get a PS2, which is unlikely due to my bitterness at the death of the Dreamcast. Would buy a PSone but meh dunno.

• 2 months later...

Here is a quick look at the US game from 1up for those that are interested. It also has a video of how the Gambit System works.

When Final Fantasy XII came out earlier this year in Japan we couldn't restrain ourselves (hey, it is Final Fantasy XII after all). Jeremy jumped into it with abandon, and delivered an unbelievably detailed look into the game that spanned four days of coverage (day 1/day 2/day 3/day 4). While you'd still be hard pressed to find more complete information on the game, with the North American release date finally approaching we couldn't help but get eager all over again -- especially those of us who didn't play the import. Square dropped by earlier this week to satisfy us with an extended demo of the fully localized US version.

Of course the big change is the removal of the language barrier, but before getting to that one other technical improvement bears mention. Widescreen TV owners can be partially happy to know that the game now has true 16:9 support. While it's not 480p (much less HD), it at least alleviates the no-win choice between using stretch modes or window-boxed display. And the additional screen real estate opens up the view nicely. Switching between standard and 16:9 views felt like removing blinders, and the 3D engine showed no signs of trouble from the slightly broader field of view.

Audibly, the transition to English seems to have gone somewhat less smoothly. There's no cause for alarm, but neither will this be the Final Fantasy that receives accolades for its voice acting. From what we heard the characters themselves worked fairly well, but a forced faux-Shakespearean delivery proves their undoing. Not that over-acted voices in a Final Fantasy, or RPGs for that matter, are any surprise to fans, but they do stand out against the so well-polished production values of the game.

Otherwise, the translation looks smooth and serves its most important role: making a potentially complex game intelligible. And that's a good thing because from what we saw of the latter stages of the game there's a lot to get your head around. The gambit system will probably be the source of much debate as it can significantly change how you play the game. For those who haven't gotten acquainted with it yet, this system amounts to a series of logic gates you can setup to automate how every character in your party behaves. It essentially amounts to you custom programming the A.I. for them.

And it's by no means basic. With a save loaded only a few hours short of the conclusion, characters sported gambit lists stretching towards twelve steps. This allows extremely sophisticated progressions. For instance, one character could be watching the party for damage, status effects, and unconsciousness to give the corresponding healing, while also making sure to keep mana points up, the party buffed, the enemies de-buffed, and if all else fails taking a swing at the nearest opponent.

At this high level, these detailed arrangements allow the game to almost in essence play itself. With everyone acting in unison, as you've planned, the pace of action is unlike prior Final Fantasies, except XI, and that's where the MMORPG comparisons come in. Whether fans will embrace the change remains to be seen. For those turned off by it all there is a more traditional "wait" mode that can be activated, but clearly the intent of the game was to make this a more active experience. Now that we have the English version, we'll dive back in and put together one last look between now and its release October 31st. to help you get a sense for how you'll respond.