NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
david.dakota

Is Nintendo WFC on Wii Missing the boat

Havinf read the intereview with WW:Smooth Moves developers, the question of WiFi Multiplayer was put to them - and the answer given was a pretty strong 'no', which is a real shame.

With Metroid Prime 3 also missing any WiFi mulitplayer gaming, is Nintendo missing some prime (no pun intended) WiFi selling points. Both games would be fairly easy to implement a WiFi multiplayer gaming (hell, since DS Hunters works so well on WiFu i'd imiagine the basic design could be ported over with minimal effort). And while Wario would take some major extra programming, it couldnt be that difficult to link four multiplayers world wide and have them racing eachother to finish minigames.

What other Nintendo games are lacking WiFi gaming?

Metroid Prime 3 afaik and to be honest it is really a shame. The only service from Nintendo may be free but it offers not enough or is not used enough in my eyes.

Metroid prime 3 doesnt have online play and rightfully so, it doesnt need a multiplayer, the only metroid games to have multiplayer ended up having dissapointed single players, frankly i dont care what games are online or not, im more concerned on the actual service which as it stands, sounds pretty shit.

Dabookerman, I don't think that you're right on this. Is it really that impossible to develop both?

It's not impossible, but it takes a lot of atention from developers. Metroid (except hunters) is a single player experience and I want it to be the best possible, wasting time on multiplayer like they did in echoes will only make the singleplayer worse.

It's not impossible, but it takes a lot of atention from developers. Metroid (except hunters) is a single player experience and I want it to be the best possible, wasting time on multiplayer like they did in echoes will only make the singleplayer worse.

Quoted for truth

Hopefully they will design a stand alone multiplayer for the MP universe on Wii based on the same visual style. But the whole design of MP3 will be entirely constructed around a single player. A multiplayer would end up being a complete bolt on ala M64:DS

Metroid is about Single Player only not multiplayer,look at hunters the Story mode wasn't very good.For wario,people would just DC when they lost a game.Those games shouldn't be Wifi.

In a way they missed the boat, probably due to development time. I thought it sucked when I learned Red Steel was going to be without online play. Here was a chance to offer something similar to Halo, but noooo. Maybe they think online play isn`t important. Or maybe its development time again...

In a way they missed the boat, probably due to development time. I thought it sucked when I learned Red Steel was going to be without online play. Here was a chance to offer something similar to Halo, but noooo. Maybe they think online play isn`t important. Or maybe its development time again...

I think it would be a safer idea to concentrate on RedSteel's single player to make sure that it doesn't suck.

You have nothing to worry about. Metroid is a single play experience, do you really want the metroid prime 2 multiplayer online? And warioware online would be completely stupid, its supposed to be noncompetitive party game. I think the "strong no" referred to the idea of an online warioware being a stupid idea.

I agree on the Metroid point, but there seem to be awfully few games to make use of the WFC at launch. Makes me wonder if the developer actually can develop WFC games for Wii yet...

Need for Speed: Carbon should be online though, and probably CoD 3 too.

Yea that's what i've been thinking aobut aswell ,there isn't very much online.I think Excitetruck will be,and I really hope FF is aswell.There should be a few at launch.

Until Nintendo get their online service right, I'd rather not go near any of their games online. I'm serious, WiFi is a terrible service. I'd rather pay for something closer to Xbox Live.

SSBB online is enough to keep me happy. That and a decent online service of course.

It would be nice to have an online game around launch though, like ExciteTruck or Monkey Ball: BB.

And I agree with Dabookerman, I don't want Metroid Prime 3 online.

The only game i really want online is SSBB. Nintendo hasnt revealed very much about Wifi yet so im starting to think that it wont be ready in time for launch.

The only game i really want online is SSBB. Nintendo hasnt revealed very much about Wifi yet so im starting to think that it wont be ready in time for launch.

Smash bros was never gonna be a lunch title...

But according to nintendo, they are finding it hard to get a 4 player online multiplayer mode going in smash bros aswell. its not looking good.

They should keep as they doing. MP Hunters was mainly focus in multiplayer while MP3 will be a great single pleyer experience.And WarioWare is great to play with friends in the same console and not by internet.

Now SSB and MK will be excelent wi-fi games. And the great wi-fi games will appear. (I want CS please....)

Until Nintendo get their online service right, I'd rather not go near any of their games online. I'm serious, WiFi is a terrible service. I'd rather pay for something closer to Xbox Live.

I disagree, I know you're an XBOX Live fan, so I see where you're coming from, but their online is the opposite from terrible. NWFC has been almost perfect for a handheld, I have played a lot and had a lot of fun without needing to pay. In order to reach a broad audience, payed online services are a big no no. That's why DS online has been such a tremendous success. I don't know about their Wii online structure, but it needs to be more complete than the DS, since it's for a home console. If they screw it up with SSBB I will hate them forever.

I'll still love them, though.

agree tbh they do need a more "Advanced" version of NWFC for Wii so that players can have competative games as well as fun games

I disagree, I know you're an XBOX Live fan, so I see where you're coming from, but their online is the opposite from terrible. NWFC has been almost perfect for a handheld, I have played a lot and had a lot of fun without needing to pay. In order to reach a broad audience, payed online services are a big no no. That's why DS online has been such a tremendous success. I don't know about their Wii online structure, but it needs to be more complete than the DS, since it's for a home console. If they screw it up with SSBB I will hate them forever.

I'll still love them, though.

For a handheld WFC has been OK, not great, but for a console it is just half arsed.

No friends list, no voice chat, big no nos those two.

The only thing it has going for it is being free, but I too would rather pay for a decent fully featured service than make do with a free half arsed one.

I hope I don't have to pay for another connector. I'd rather Nintendo swapped the current connectors in order to keep loyal fans.

For a handheld WFC has been OK, not great, but for a console it is just half arsed.

No friends list, no voice chat, big no nos those two.

The only thing it has going for it is being free, but I too would rather pay for a decent fully featured service than make do with a free half arsed one.

That's what I think they need in Wii too, but I think they need to keep it free if they want it to be played by a very wide audience. I don't have a good feeling about it though...

I'd say nintendo need to somehow set up a gamer profile for each wii console connected. It should your record as a gamer for each game you've played online. Rather than have "friend codes" you should be able to search for members and send them a friend request (should be possible with Connect24). You could also possibly send them messages online to challenge friends for a game (or you could just play with strangers). Maybe im hoping for too much (tell me if it sounds like xbox live, i dont know what its like). It could be even more possible with the opera browser.

Sign in to follow this