NEurope
Sarka

Disaster: Day of Crisis

I eventually got round to watching all of the japanese commercials for this and I do think it looks better in motion. The game had already piqued my interested but now I'm just itching to hear what it plays like. I'm hopefully optimistic but I also know that this kinda of game will be hard to pull off and could well turn out to play poorly as there is an emphasis on loads of different controls. It's a wait and see scenario at the moment.

Why- ooh why did they make the combat scenes lightgun-ish?

They could have made it more MGS or even gears of war-ish (with the coversystem and everything).

The car behaviour also seems strange. We just have to wait and read the reviews. Before this seemed a must-buy, but I'm not so sure any more.

Somehow I feel that the game's recieved a casual-treatment since it was first shown. Casual gamers don't care for good stories or long campaigns, so don't friggin casualise adventure games!

They made the combat sequences lightgun-ish, because it's a game that's basically lots of different things and action is probably not a big part, so taking the time to make an engine that has a good action system was gonna be trouble. This way it's easier for them to make the action parts at least acceptable.

I don't see how it received casual treatment. It looks just like it looked when it was shown, except with more emphasis on story, characters, levelling up and even on action. In fact, it's like they did the opposite. So, I don't really get what you're saying at all.

They made the combat sequences lightgun-ish, because it's a game that's basically lots of different things and action is probably not a big part, so taking the time to make an engine that has a good action system was gonna be trouble. This way it's easier for them to make the action parts at least acceptable.

That isn't exactly the kind of attitude I'd hope for from a game dev.

This game looks amazing!! Even if it isn't an epic adventure game I love the gameplay styles; as long as the story is pretty solid I'm going to love it. I loved those game were you just pressed a direction at certain points (e.g. dragons lair) and this has those sections, love lightgun games......just praying it all holds together!!! Can't wait to read some hands on impressions.

Looks like sweetness in a box to me! Graphics seem to be a bit hit-and-miss at times, but I can live with that. Sequel please! Or spiritual successor!

Looks like sweetness in a box to me! Graphics seem to be a bit hit-and-miss at times, but I can live with that. Sequel please! Or spiritual successor!
I want the game, but I can't say that when it's monolith, the RPG goddess we're talking about, and I want loads of RPG's from them :D

But if you think about it, a sequel to Disaster would be kinda tough to achieve. I mean, there aren't that many natural disasters for them to milk us. There's your earthquakes, tsunamis and floods, volcanoes and not much else. All stuff they will use in this one, what would be left for a 2nd one, tornadoes?

More reason for them to put in the extra effort into this one, knowing that it can very possibly be a one time shot. Or maybe I'm wrong and they always find a way to milk.

Its hard to tell if there will be a sequel until we've actually played the game. We need to know how well its going to do and how well its set up for one first.

BTW,..., you forgot about Blizzards and Hail Storms.

The second one could be the consequences of major disasters, ala the anarchy and theft/violence as well as maybe a discovery mission to find/save people.

Well, we don't exactly know how far the game's story is going to go yet. For all we know, that could be part of Disaster.

I also forgot meteorites and asteroids, we (at least me) always tend to dismiss those from the "natural disasters" bag.

And of course, the disasters don't necessarily have to be natural, you could have something like a nuclear powerplant security breach or something like that. But then it would be dangerously close to something like 24....

People dont remember the story details?

The player must survive many natural disasters. The player will take control of Raymond Bryce, a former International Rescue Team operative, as he takes on terrorist organization SURGE and various natural disasters such as earthquakes, tsunamis, floods and hurricanes in a 24 hours which consists of 23 levels.

They could do a Disaster targeted at the American audience specifically. Anyone? Anyone? Disaster: Revenge of Gustav, Disaster: the Return of Ike, Disaster: A New Katrina.

Touché about the RPG-pipeline bit Pedro.

They could go to a different timeline. Perhaps Disaster: Wrath of the Gods which takes place in Ancient Greek times - they could bring some fantasy elements into it, such as a group of monks who are calling upon the gods to smite the earth with all sorts of horrors.

That isn't exactly the kind of attitude I'd hope for from a game dev.

It's the attitude that keeps them alive and the one that all of them take. You can't expect a game that isn't focused on action to have GoW/RE4 quality action. It's obviously an arcadey game, making this a viable course of action. Of course that RE4 like action, Mario/Tomb Raider platforming, PGR driving, etc would be great, but... :P

I also forgot meteorites and asteroids, we (at least me) always tend to dismiss those from the "natural disasters" bag.

And of course, the disasters don't necessarily have to be natural, you could have something like a nuclear powerplant security breach or something like that. But then it would be dangerously close to something like 24....

Yeah, they could do a terrorism one to rival 24! :yay:

The driving scenes look great. The rails scenes don't really look that bad. The only thing is that alot of what we've seen (besides that) looks like its just a bunch of mature looking mini games.

The driving scenes look great. The rails scenes don't really look that bad. The only thing is that alot of what we've seen (besides that) looks like its just a bunch of mature looking mini games.

Why does every call it mini games now? They're QTEs, it's a QTE driven game. If that's good or bad we'll see, but at least it's a good concept.

Just watched the teaser and the gameplay montage on gametrailers and I absolutely love the concept behind this game. It just seems so epic and exciting - a proper natural disaster game is quite unique.

The graphics are definitely better in motion but they're pretty hit and miss which is slightly dissapointing. As is the look of the light gun sections, it's impossible to say for sure without playing it but the impact of hits doesn't look satisfying. Not enough "punch" or anything.

Still, I'm optimistic and I'm hopeful.

Even if this game gets the casual advertising treatment Im not sure casual gamers are going to buy it. Maybe if it is advertised in a really simple way.

But if you think about it, a sequel to Disaster would be kinda tough to achieve. I mean, there aren't that many natural disasters for them to milk us. There's your earthquakes, tsunamis and floods, volcanoes and not much else. All stuff they will use in this one, what would be left for a 2nd one, tornadoes?

More reason for them to put in the extra effort into this one, knowing that it can very possibly be a one time shot. Or maybe I'm wrong and they always find a way to milk.

The game doesent have to circle around natural disasters. It can revolve arround other types of, let's say... man made disasters. Like in a burning skyscraper or forrest. Imagine trying to outrun the flames, avoid hasardous smoke.