NEurope
Ashley

Super Mario Galaxy

I was lucky to get a go on wii sports today, so I think I'll put off finishing Galaxy for January.

Was just watching this poker reality show (a couple people compete for a year's worth of sponsoring from some poker website) and whenever someone would go all in, i'd notice that the music was kind of familiar to me.

Once they reached the river, I was happily humming along the tune of deep dark galaxy :D :D

@ luigi's purple coins: i usually do a long jump towards the upper right part. Those coins are relatively hard to get, but if you do it right you'd end up with 30-40 coins within the first 10 seconds. It also leaves plenty green panels left for me to get the star.

When I first saw the Luigi's purple coins level I was pretty sure I'd never do it, however once you know that their are 150 coins their it felt a lot easier to do.

BTW Someone was crazy enough to collect all 150 coins:

I got this yesterday for christmas , and was playing for 2 hours solid with my mum!!! in co-star mode mode , she really really liked it so im pleased , got 10 stars so far anyhow , really think its got good music too and genreally a big thubs up to nintendo on this one , I know somepeople think the multiplayer is a little lacking but I reckon for the less experienced player its very very good .

I finally got to 120 stars on my first playthrough yesterday. I had to do all the purple comets, they weren't very difficult. I found the Dreadnought one the hardest and to my own surprise I managed to do

Luigi's Purple Coins

in one try. I'm now starting my second playthrough with

Luigi

Got this for Christmas yesterday and it's fantastic!

Just got 33 stars, I am now at

the Luigi's Mansion place

Can't wait to play more later, but I must break now - or I'll just complete it all in a few days.

This game is far too easy. And I think I prefer Sunshine up till this point (28 stars), it was just more vibrant and was more of a gamers' game. It seems that Nintendo tones Galaxy down a lot because they knew that it wouldn't appeal to the kids if it was too hard to get into.

The game starts much easier then most, and never really gets harder. I think ultimately that's what seperates the game from being one of the best ever to just one of the best this generation.

It's still an amazing game, but I can't forgive how easy it is now I've had the time to look back on it. Although it's low difficult curve does keep the game enjoyable the whole way, and never gets frustrating, ultimately I just wish there was say 10 stars which I couldn't complete within 15 minutes of trying max.

Took me around 20 attempts to do that squid race last night. The shame!

My first battle with Bowser was AWESOME! Not too easy, not too hard. Just perfect!

The fur and water effects are simple gorjys in this game. I stop and gawp for a few seconds when I'm walking through some water or talking with that giant bee.

Got 30 stars so far, and I cannot wait to replay it after completing it. So far, it's better than Mario 64, but I'll wait until I get all 120stars before my final opinion.

I finished the last Bowser off in my first try - quite disappointing.

Although it has cool level design and some challenging levels I feel it's sometimes a bit too simplified to work well for the "casuals". I especially miss Mario's fighting-skills from SM64.

Also the camera sometimes annoyes me because it's hard to really see how high Mario jumps.

Apart from that a truly great game.

I finished the last Bowser off in my first try - quite disappointing.

Although it has cool level design and some challenging levels I feel it's sometimes a bit too simplified to work well for the "casuals". I especially miss Mario's fighting-skills from SM64.

Also the camera sometimes annoyes me because it's hard to really see how high Mario jumps.

Apart from that a truly great game.

You mean the punch...thats hardly fighting skills....

I find the "its simplified to work for the casual" opinion some people have been voicing simply ridiculous for games like Mario and Zelda. Do you think that a casual gamer knows before playing if the game is easier or simpler than usual? They look at Mario and it's Mario, if they didn't play it before because it was too hard they won't play it now, because they have no idea if it's easy and they won't bother to get informed. That works for IPs that always were aimed for that crowd not for estabilished ones.

I'd also like to see a non-gamer/casual gamer finish the game 100%. Or get to Bowser on their first try, now that you talk about it. Bowser is easy, but the level itself is a little hard, not to mention one of the most awesome levels I've ever seen. It's basically the same as 64/Sunshine: easy to get to Bowser, hard to get everything.

You mean the punch...thats hardly fighting skills....

Punch, punch, kick lad. Punch punch kick.

I'm up to 48 stars now, its so easy its a bit of a joke. :( Some of the lava stuff was a wee bit difficult but mainly cos of the camera making it hard to judge some jumps and that. The sand world was very nice too, climbing down the thing as the sand filled it it up (or down) was frantic!

Next stop will be the engine room.

Well i personally liked the difficulty of the platforming itself. It let the game progress smoothly and there were some difficult spots such as getting to peak of Freeze Flame.

The bosses on the other hand were far to easy and repetetive, even on Daredevil.

I find the "its simplified to work for the casual" opinion some people have been voicing simply ridiculous for games like Mario and Zelda. Do you think that a casual gamer knows before playing if the game is easier or simpler than usual?

Of course not, what I was trying to say was that devs try to make it more accessible because otherwise those people wouldn't like the game (or find it harder or too hard to get into it) and the ones who know previous iterations notice that something is different or that it got easier. Maybe it was there during the GC era as well but I feel that most Ninty games got easier along with their "blue ocean strategy".

I mean I don't like too hard games but if they aren't challenging either I just get a little bored. I think Prime 3 did it really well by offering different difficulties.

Still sold-out on Portugal!!!

I Can't get my hands on this :'(

Is there any Game on Lisbon?

Edit: But i have to buy it with Cheques Fnac :'(

I'm spoiled for choice at the moment with what I want to play on the Wii. I've got this, Resi 4, Guitar Hero and another game or two on the go.

I've got about 30-odd stars, but then I tried playing some more Resi, which means this has been pushed back down the pecking order.

Too many games, too little time. :(

Oh

My

God

This game is stunning, the colours :o

The environments are just plain goergoes to!

I have 8 stars now, I don't wanna play anymore cuz I don't want to rush it!

And where are the other 60 stars after you have completed it? Do the levels just open more things to do?

Or can you get them before you complete it?

And where are the other 60 stars after you have completed it? Do the levels just open more things to do?

Or can you get them before you complete it?

There are 104 stars you can collect before completing it; there are some restrictions on the order you get them in, but it's generally up to you how many of the (usually 5) stars you collect from each galaxy.

There's then 1 star that accompanies completion. For the remaining 15 stars:

A 'purple comet' will appear in each of the main galaxies after this (I'm not sure if there's a fixed order to where precisely it appears), and you have to collect 100 of the purple coins that appear to earn the star.