NEurope
EchoDesiato

Zelda: Twilight Princess Discussion (SPOILERS: BEWARE)

No i never said TP is dead, I just said that I don't think many people will buy it because the timing of the release is dire. There's quite a lot to suggest that the game has been near completion for some time but releasing it so close to the rev launch will make it lose a large amount of impact as it is software for a console which is basically gone and forgotten by the majority of the public even now.

Mate you really need to understand that just cos a game is good doesn't mean it will sell well. Marketing strategy is very important in terms of building brand momentum and product buzz (as opposed to hype). Nintendo could actually stand to lose money on Zelda. That would leave the franchise in an interesting place in Nintendo's eyes.

TP isnt dead but by the time it comes out GC will be. We will buy it, I've had it preordered since 2004, but mainstream consumers won't. With 360 already out and Rev and PS3 looming noone other than the people who've been tracking the game will buy it. Even if they havent already sold their GCs anyway, they will to get money for next consoles. TP will be a masterpeice, no doubt. But it will be ignored and maybe even forgotten. Even though it pains me to say it, they should jazz up the GFX and make it a revo title at launch. Then it will get the recognition it will undoubedly deserve.

the revolution could help it's sales if zelda tp is marketed right and epecialy if it has enhancments or re-released for the console, whould also be awsome for a pack in game as long as it works with the revo controler. mario can defintly out sell zelda. mario 64 for example sold 11million copies worldwide where zelda oot sold thought 8.6million majora's mask at just 3million the later was released closer to the end of the n64 life.

... ... ...

Zeldafan, GC is almost dead! When TP is released people look at it and say:"l0l! L00k 4t it's gr4phics!!11!!!eleven. My XBox 360 h4s a l0t b3tt3r gr4ph1cs th4n th4t! Lol!" Yes, there will be some hardcore gamers who will buy the game and of course some zelda fanboys who will buy anything related to Zelda. But it'll probably sell 3 million copies or less.

This game won't make people buy GCs. It's too late already.

you guys are stupid if you think TP isn't going to sell as well because they " missed their oppurtunity" they didn't! it takes time to make a great game, but when it finally comes out, people will buy it! and the hype isn't gone! it's just people are not letting the wait get to them, they're occupying themselves in other ways like playing other games waiting patiently. damn. it's not like TP is dead. it's very much alive and will really come to life when it comes out and you all will see!

No, we're not stupid - it just doesn't work that simple.

When Zelda comes out it's next-gen era. The buzz around the next-gen consoles will have most people spend their money on that, and not on Zelda. Some people rather spend money on Zelda than on next-gen (the Zelda fans), but the general public wants next gen and won't buy a previous gen game.

Of course there are a lot of Zelda fans out there and sales will be OK, but not quite as good as if they released it in November 2005, for example.

you guys are stupid if you think TP isn't going to sell as well because they " missed their oppurtunity" they didn't! it takes time to make a great game, but when it finally comes out, people will buy it! and the hype isn't gone! it's just people are not letting the wait get to them, they're occupying themselves in other ways like playing other games waiting patiently. damn. it's not like TP is dead. it's very much alive and will really come to life when it comes out and you all will see!

It could of done better if they played their cards right that's all

This game won't make people buy GCs. It's too late already.

I don't think Nintendo are trying to make people buy GC, but rather the Revolution for backwards compatibility.

They're probably trying to make money off current Gamecube owners by putting it on the GC, while making money of new Revolution buyers, who may only buy the system to play Zelda, and seeing as GC is too outdated, they won't bother with that.

So money comes from:

Selling Zelda to 'Cube-owners

Selling Revolution to people by persuading them with Zelda

Selling the game to these new Revolution owners.

It's still damn risky if you ask me, people will care about how the graphics aren't "OMFG sh1n3y!!" as they're too shallow to actually play it. Making the game a Revolution game may lead people to believe the Graphics on Revolution are crap due to the current-gen graphics. Of course they could spruce them up, but that probably couldn't be done to a maximum extent with the time remaining.

I don't think there's any problem with the graphics... Zelda is the pretiest game this generation I've seen, yes... Rogue Squadron pushed 21 to 30 million poligons, and RE4 had that flawless animation... but I've never seen a game with so much things going on, no one can look straight into a Zelda pic and say the graphics are crap. Zelda is a ambient pusher... and that's harder than pushing thousands of polygons around... Zelda OoT does the impossible with 150.000 polygons on screen... that is... look OK even today... Zelda TP looks pretty good for me...

The thing is... people aren't willing to buy a outdated system to play it when there's next gen systems out there now... even in November 2005 this kind of thing would happen with people wanting to buy a X360... it would steal some of the hype for Zelda for the mainstream gamers...

Zelda TP can actually sell more than it would in November 2005 being sort of a "revolution launch title" if it really gets all the magazines telling it's the best game ever... remember Mario 64, that's how it happened, same with Zelda 64 to some extent.

I don't even like the game, but... look at GTA, the graphics are not very good, but it still came out as one of the best selling titles this generation... Zelda is a few notches above that.

Zeldas a few notches above GTA, thats the understatement of the year. But Zelda hasnt got that "Haha look I can run over that hooker, Im a badass 13 year old!" thing going. GTA gets sales on notoriety not actual gameplay. SA was pretty piss poor.

Zeldas a few notches above GTA, thats the understatement of the year. But Zelda hasnt got that "Haha look I can run over that hooker, Im a badass 13 year old!" thing going. GTA gets sales on notoriety not actual gameplay. SA was pretty piss poor.
yes... GTA gained momentum... I believe Zelda can do the same, but instead of "running over the hooker" kind of thing... it's important for it to gain "Best Game Ever" conotation... if it does... it'll sell like hotcakes... on Revolution...

Even if it gained that status in November 2005 to be honest people would still buy X360 instead... because no matter how good the game is... it is GC's last breath, it's a system without future for the mainstream view... With Revolution it won't be the case... I think Nintendo knows what she's doing... I don't want it to be a Revolution title from ground, but being a GC game released for Revolution (or rather... released by Revolutions launch) I've got no objections, I just hope they use the extra development time to perfect it even more.

Ok well whoever thinks it will only sell " Ok" you're dead wrong, cuz there are enough Zelda fans out there AND that includes the non true Zelda fans who didn't buy Wind Waker cuz of the graphics in which they did because it better fitted the personality and overall feel of the game being a child Link game. If it would have been an adult Link, they would have made the graphics ultra realistic because that would fit the over all feel of having an adult Link. So there are enough Zelda fans out there, true ones and un true, that will buy this game. It doesn't matter at all about when they release it affects the sales. The sales will only be affected very little by Nintendo releasing it close to the revolution launch date. It will still be the best selling Zelda game in history. Just wait and see. Plus, maybe Reggie just said it will be released this Fall to make us expect that to just shut UP! Nintendo can lie you know...then this May 9th when they are to announce an official release date, they could surprise us all and tell us it's actually set for a summer release! like in June or July. Then we'll all be relieved! I hope that's what's gonna happen and I slightly ( very slightly) have a titsy bitsy ray of hope that will indeed happen.

^ zeldafan2020 Zelda Wind Waker sold only "Ok" because of it's style 3 million copies is little for a Zelda when a console is in it's golden years. You could even consider it a flop to what nintendo was expecting

If Zelda TP was released instead of WW probably Nintendo would have won in installment against Microsoft, easily.

That brings the fact that these products must be marketed in the best possible situation, and that situation is Revolutions launch for nintendo, because they won't be looking forward to sell gamecubes... but Revolutions instead, so they need a fast start with good line-up, it'll be the first Zelda as a launch title since aLttP in 1991, and it's really a genre defining game for a console in it's early life.

If Zelda TP was to be released for Gamecube now it would, most likely, sell even less than that 3 million copies...

let's look at OoT example shall we? 7 million copies on N64...

Majora Mask sold aroung 3 million copies... same as Wind Waker.

What's with the pauses between sentences Pedro; it's kind of hard to read. 0_o
Indeed, seems to be quite a old habit (I'm reading my last post now and you're right) :(

I'll be careful in the future :D

But they didn't release TP back then, they made WW instead because they had to as far as storyline! see, you're looking at all this with just a business mind! you need to look at this from the LEGEND ( storyline) view point. They were working on TP back around when WW was released. They had every intention of making a realistic adult Link Zelda game to come out after WW. But they had to tell the story of WW for this new game TP to make sense. But I promise you they had every intention of making this game because Mr Miyamoto said he feels that half of the people were pleased with WW's graphics and half were not.

But they didn't release TP back then, they made WW instead because they had to as far as storyline! see, you're looking at all this with just a business mind! you need to look at this from the LEGEND ( storyline) view point. They were working on TP back around when WW was released. They had every intention of making a realistic adult Link Zelda game to come out after WW. But they had to tell the story of WW for this new game TP to make sense. But I promise you they had every intention of making this game because Mr Miyamoto said he feels that half of the people were pleased with WW's graphics and half were not.

WW takes place after TP. Am I right in saying that WW is hundreds of years after OoT? With TP being in between those two I dont see how it has anything to do with story. Miyamoto wanted to something creative, he did and it was awesome but people dismissed it as kiddy. So from a business point of view it makes sense to revert to adult GFX like the other 3D titles.

It's not because I see it as a legend that I can say it will sell a lot of units as a GC exclusive...

And you can't really say they planned TP to fill WW plotholes, that's the same as saying they planned OoT as soon as they released aLttP... Ocarina of time, 6 months or so before launch didn't even have child link, you started of as a adult.

I'm sure lots of changes are still going on as we speak, thus I don't believe at all in a materplan in this, they made the tests and they reached the feel they wanted, then they developed it further, simply as that...

Zelda is still a game made from scratch for gameplay, nor argument like all other myiamoto games. This one is no exception, although I would be lying if I told I don't find Zelda storyline fascinating.

But that's not the point, nintendo is a profitable company, they need to release this game to sell loads, they know it has the potential, now they have to choose the right time to launch it.

Oh cmon don't be naive. Miyamoto obviously pressured Aonuma to create Wind Waker with that style (an I agree with it), but then they saw that the main public wanted realistic graphics. I remember clearly that Miyamoto said that the next Zelda (after WW) would be cel shaded. Come E3 2004 and TP. See, the LEGEND point of view doesn't really fill Nintendo's pockets. Even though WW sold very well, I assure you if TP would have been released back then, the GC would be a much more successful machine.

saw this in the Q&A

Paul writes "And if Nintendo do turn out to be lying then I would most likely not purchase Twilight Princess out of anger because the firm broke my trust, and they did it with a direct statement." Paul let’s be honest, a Nintendo rep could come in your bedroom at night and take a dump on your face and you would still buy the game. As for all of you who think Link will die in TP, you must be nuts.

this would have to be the funniest thing i have ever read. i wanna meet this guy! awesome sense of humour

WW takes place after TP. Am I right in saying that WW is hundreds of years after OoT? With TP being in between those two I dont see how it has anything to do with story. Miyamoto wanted to something creative, he did and it was awesome but people dismissed it as kiddy. So from a business point of view it makes sense to revert to adult GFX like the other 3D titles.

No you're not right on that. It's been confirmed that this game happens before WW and after OOT. It's a direct sequel to OOT. And Miyamoto said WW happens ONE hundred years after OOT. Not " hundredS". People for some reason mistakened this information and said "hundreds" but it's actually 100. So this game is actually the long awaited sequel to OOT! yay! :D and we waited 8...almost 9 by the time the game comes out...9 years for this!!!!!!

No you're not right on that. It's been confirmed that this game happens before WW and after OOT. It's a direct sequel to OOT. And Miyamoto said WW happens ONE hundred years after OOT. Not " hundredS". People for some reason mistakened this information and said "hundreds" but it's actually 100. So this game is actually the long awaited sequel to OOT! yay! :D and we waited 8...almost 9 by the time the game comes out...9 years for this!!!!!!

Sorry for not remembering a quote exactly, your majesty of Zeldaness for you see, I do things other than Zelda games.

Actually, I read that it was the other way around (concerning the hundred or hundreds years.)

Actually, I read that it was the other way around (concerning the hundred or hundreds years.)
They gave it as a example...

Anyway considering... *spoilers* Tetra *spoilers* that can mean like... 4 generations from the Zelda in TP. it would make sense...

It is confirmed that TP takes place decades after OoT, and well... without Hero of Time, so it can't really be called a direct sequel, nor we waited 9 years for it, the direct sequel is Majora Mask.

That makes more than 1 hundred years, and zelda is not even given to accurate dates, it's just some loose ends to get the idea, also to keep that idea of a legend you just can't say complete presise and detailed dates.

We'll still have to see how TP's story develops and gets along with the OoT one the only thing we know for sure now is that it is the rightful prequel to WW because it explains what happened into Hyrule.

I think that link is going to lose and fail to overcome the evil. Think about it, TP takes place in between OOT and TWW. Now in the wind waker didn't they say that at some poin't before evil had come but the hero of time never showed up. Perhaps he did but was defeated when ganon put the powers of the sword of evil bane(AKA the master sword) to rest and slaughterd all the sages.

Another thing I would that would make this game amazing is if it had a love story between link and zelda. I know some would disagree but I would be pleased to see it.

Looks like this may be the most dramatic zelda game ever.

you guys I just read something disturbing and I hope it's not true, but I read a rumor that made me literally sick to my stomach, I can't bare this, it better not be true, that the revolution will be nintendo's last console. And I was looking forward to how awesome their 2011 console would be! :( I'm a big nintendo fan and I don't care how I get criticised for loving a "kiddy" company. I prefer Nintendo's fantastic fantasy type and ultra fun games that I grew up with anyday over the competition's bloody first person shooters. Blowing people's heads off doesn't excite me. Playing a great Mario game or exploring the fantasy world of Hyrule does. I hope to God Nintendo lasts forever and that this is just a nasty rumor! it has to be! I mean come on! zelda and mario ALONE are enough to keep nintendo from ever going bankrupt and having to make Rev their last console! I should think... and if it is true, I'm not even gonna buy a Rev cuz I'll be too depressed to think this is the last system. :( I'm feeling so down right now you guys. some support here please? can some of you tell me this isn't true? I've already emailed nintendo about this and am still waiting for a reply.