NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
marcel

confirmed: monkeyball and madden for Wii are 16:9 compatible

from monkey ball interview

IGN Wii: Does the title run in progressive scan and 16x9 widescreen mode?

Nagoshi: Yes, it does.

from madden interview:

IGN Wii: You mentioned that Madden runs in progressive-scan and widescreen modes. Is this something you've been encouraged to do by Nintendo or are these visual options you have pursued on your own?

John Schappert: I won't say that Nintendo so much encourages us. Any help we ask for it certainly gives us. That's just something we're doing. It'll still play in 4x3, if you've got a 4x3 television running 480i. But we think 480p and 16x9 will give it the best showing - to see it in widescreen so you can see your five receivers and to see it in 480p.

thats good news for widescreen tv and/or progressive scan compatible tv owners.:D

***update***

Shigeru miyamoto gives an update on widescreen capability's

Nintendo: It's great to see Zelda now displayed in 16:9. 480p. Will most Wii titles be displayed like that, or will some appear in higher resolutions?

Shigeru Miyamoto: First of all, our standard is going to be 480p, but if you put that on a very nice television it's going to look very nice.

As for the widescreen, you know obviously the Wii is capable of displaying the widescreen. Zelda is a game that displays the widescreen because it makes the game a lot better when you can see more of the world, so in that sense obviously with Zelda we're going to display in widescreen. I think it's really up to the developers in terms of whether they want to use widescreen or not. Because we implemented this fully in the Wii, we at Nintendo tend to take advantage of it as much as we can. In addition to that, obviously the Wii is much more powerful so when it displays in widescreen... so with a game like Zelda it runs much better in widescreen than it would in three-by-four. So you can expect great things out of that.

Good news to all HDTV fans. It good its support widescreen mode, beacuse more people its getting widescreen instead of the usual 4:3.

I think the Revo will still look outstaning on HDTV's but unlike 360 (and possibly PS3) it'll also look superb on a normal TV. Good news :yay:

i was planning on getting a widescreen tv. but i wanted to wait if my new console will support it and this confirms it. widescreentvs are now affordable but HDTVs are still to expensive.

What does this mean? No black letterboxs on modern TVs?

I thought this shizzle was like standard with Revolution.

on a standard 4:3 tv you will get no black bars on top and bottom. but a full screen. yust like te gamecube titles that support 16:9.

but for people with a widescreen tv. you will get no black bars left and right. but a complete full screen.

i hope this answer your question nintendork:smile:

Sexual, thanks Marcel.

I hope Nintendo push for this to be standard for all games.

It would make up for lack of HD, and progressive scan/60hz mode is a nice bonus.

Sexual, thanks Marcel.

I hope Nintendo push for this to be standard for all games.

It would make up for lack of HD, and progressive scan/60hz mode is a nice bonus.

well from what the EA guy said it doesn't sound like nintendo have put it in their TRC requirements.

its says that nintendo didn't encouraged them to use 16:9 ,

but what dous Any help we ask for it certainly gives us. mean, did EA ask for help for it by nintendo?

it would be a huge mistake to not support a widescreen option.

that is pretty much the same as letting people with widescreen tv stand in the rain. and it also fills the lack of HD for the ones with HDTVs

@MonkeyDluffy

what do you mean by TRC requestments?

TRC(I forget what it stands for) is a check list of stuff that all console companies have, that developers must include in the software, for example memory card messages, or when a controller is removed the game pauses and displays a message etc, the TRC is checked during testing and if nintendo etc find a problem they won't allow it to be published. It sounds like 16:9 isn't a required thing by nintendo so basically it is an optional extra that developers can support if they want to, but they don't have to, a bit like the progressive scan support in the GC, some had it some didn't.

Nintendo should make it a must! Playing 4:3 games on my HDtv doesn't look as good as 16:9 games.

we don't know for sure with both games in 16:9 with progressive scan it might be a TRC requirement, the EA guy probably has never seen the list anyway so he might just not know, the only way to find out would be if someone testing Wii games confirmed it or Iwata confirms it which he might be at E3, or he might have said it already I can't remember?! anyone?

Hardly surprising considering every Cube game I've seen runs in 16:9.

Seriously, because of lack of HDTV Nintendo won't just forget widescreen.

yes, ignoring widescreen will give them a bad look for the people with HDTVs or widescreen tvs. they should make it a must for every game.

can you possibly imagin metroid prime 3 or ssbr in 16:9 widescreen that would be realy neat:D

16:9 is good and I am confident that most developers will include that in their games. A thing for which I care rather less is that the games are in 480p - I don't see much difference with my 100Hz TV because it updates so often my eye doesn't notice.

Also HDTV users in US are more into it because they are used to NTSC whereas Europe with PAL has a far better picture (720 x 576 versus 720 x 480).

So 16:9 PAL with 60FPS and a 100Hz TV looks very similar to HDTV (720p) but as trade off has only 30FPS. To be more precise HDTV versus PAL the pixel advantage is about 20 percent.

Just a quick one- what is the big deal with Madden? Is it like Fifa over here.. just the kids go crazy for it and it charts nicely but doesn't offer anything amazingly new?

I get the impression from the 4cr people that it sucks.

I'd imagine it's like FIFA alright. Americans are nuts about American Football (generalisation, I know) and it seems to be a consistent seller across the pond.

Last NFL game I owned was NFL Quarterback Club for the N64 (which I enjoyed a good bit) so not sure how different each new release of the series is.

Fantastic to hear that there'll be widescreen support on Wii. :yay:

The TV in my room is a small 17" LCD TV with progressive, so 480p wide should be nice and sharp. :D

Hardly surprising considering every Cube game I've seen runs in 16:9.

Seriously, because of lack of HDTV Nintendo won't just forget widescreen.

No, not really there are very few games that support 16:9.

Expectable but good news.

Just a quick one- what is the big deal with Madden? Is it like Fifa over here.. just the kids go crazy for it and it charts nicely but doesn't offer anything amazingly new?

I get the impression from the 4cr people that it sucks.

I own Madden 04 and it's easily one of the most enjoyable games in my collection. Simply watching American "football" is, if the last couple of superbowls broadcast on ITV are anything to go by, bizarrely boring in comparison.

Also, this could just be because I don't have kind of amazing meg-HD-widescreen Star Trek esque-viewscreen of a TV that may just take off when I flip over to watch the World Cup, but I am going to physically kill the next person who comes to me and tells me that Maddens best feature is it's 16:9 widescreen and 480i abilities. I really, trully am.

Good news to all HDTV fans. It good its support widescreen mode, beacuse more people its getting widescreen instead of the usual 4:3.

Don't you mean noone has only a 4:3 :heh:

I heard that wii won't be supporting improved displays in the UK (widescreen, 480i, whatever, I don't know the lingo), because it's using PAL rather than NSTC. I don't understand it really, but is it true?

I heard that wii won't be supporting improved displays in the UK (widescreen, 480i, whatever, I don't know the lingo), because it's using PAL rather than NSTC. I don't understand it really, but is it true?

That is because PAL is already superior to NTSC even with 480p - so in theory everyone with PAL doesn't really needs it and especially with a 100Hz TV your picture is similar to 720p.

Sign in to follow this