NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
marcel

confirmed: monkeyball and madden for Wii are 16:9 compatible

offtopic: what resolution dous the gamecube support in european territorys?

back on topic:

dous a game with 60hz on a 100hz tv look better (sharper) than on a 50/60hz tv with 60hz on it??

i really hoop nintendo listen to its gamers. hopefully we will know if all Wii games will support 16:9 aspect ratio but the metroid video on last years e3 was in 16:9 so. that looks hoopfull ( i know it runned on gc hardware)

anybody knows?

offtopic: what resolution dous the gamecube support in european territorys?

Only 480 interlaced and some games support 16:9

back on topic:

dous a game with 60hz on a 100hz tv look better (sharper) than on a 50/60hz tv with 60hz on it??

The Hz of the game only define the framerate of the game - how many pictures there are per second (more frames = smoother and sometimes faster gameplay) while the Hz of the TV is the refresh rate of the screen. If it's below 80 Hz you could notice some flickering.

Only 480 interlaced and some games support 16:9

The Hz of the game only define the framerate of the game - how many pictures there are per second (more frames = smoother and sometimes faster gameplay) while the Hz of the TV is the refresh rate of the screen. If it's below 80 Hz you could notice some flickering.

but with 480 do you mean 640 by 480 or 720 by 480,

and it will probable look better on a 100hz tv right?

but with 480 do you mean 640 by 480 or 720 by 480,

and it will probable look better on a 100hz tv right?

640*480 = 4:3

720*480 = 16:9

I'm not entirely sure if that's correct but I think it is.

And every picture looks better on a 100hz tv compared to lower frequencies.

4:3 TVs (no widescreen) have a 640×480 or 704×480 resolution. Most of the tvs are 480i, meaning interlaced, where EDTVs and HDTVs support 480p (progressive scan). Widescreen TVs have a 852*480 resolution, meaning that games that support widescreen must be made with that resolution. What happens is that your TV, be it widescreen or not can stretch the image at the loss of some pixels.

On a another note, konfucius seems to be confusing where that 720 from 720p comes from. Most HDTVs out there support 1024*720p or 1280*720p and 1920*1080i, very few support 1080p.

All GC games support 480i and few 16:9 and 480p. European (PAL) games don't support 480p, however if your GC has digital out an you buy some component cables there is a way to play in 480p. You can import NTSC games (from USA, Canada,...) and use the freeloader or you can install a modchip that forces 480p. Note that modchips can ruin your GC if badly installed and most of the things you do with them are illegal, so I don't advise you to do it.

Hope that cleared things up.

Here's a list of GC games that support 16:9 or 480p http://www.hdtvarcade.com/hdtvforum/index.php?autocom=custom&page=gamecubeac

4:3 TVs (no widescreen) have a 640×480 or 704×480 resolution. Most of the tvs are 480i, meaning interlaced, where EDTVs and HDTVs support 480p (progressive scan). Widescreen TVs have a 852*480 resolution, meaning that games that support widescreen must be made with that resolution. What happens is that your TV, be it widescreen or not can stretch the image at the loss of some pixels.

On a another note, konfucius seems to be confusing where that 720 from 720p comes from. Most HDTVs out there support 1024*720p or 1280*720p and 1920*1080i, very few support 1080p.

All GC games support 480i and few 16:9 and 480p. European (PAL) games don't support 480p, however if your GC has digital out an you buy some component cables there is a way to play in 480p. You can import NTSC games (from USA, Canada,...) and use the freeloader or you can install a modchip that forces 480p. Note that modchips can ruin your GC if badly installed and most of the things you do with them are illegal, so I don't advise you to do it.

Hope that cleared things up.

Here's a list of GC games that support 16:9 or 480p http://www.hdtvarcade.com/hdtvforum/index.php?autocom=custom&page=gamecubeac

so this means that all games that have an 16:9 option have a resolution of at least 852 x 480(squashed into 720x480) but why do widescreen game cubes games not send widescreen signals like DVD player, so that the TV automatically recognised it and switches to wide(screen) mode?

so this means that all games that have an 16:9 option have a resolution of at least 852 x 480(squashed into 720x480) but why do widescreen game cubes games not send widescreen signals like DVD player, so that the TV automatically recognised it and switches to wide(screen) mode?

Movies can be encoded to support various resolutions. That is the aspect ratio mentioned when you read anamorphed encoding on a DVD.

That list is wrong about widescreen support. I play Metroid Prime, Mario Kart, Zelda, and so on in widescreen with no problem. And no, the games are not stretched.

That list is wrong about widescreen support. I play Metroid Prime, Mario Kart, Zelda, and so on in widescreen with no problem. And no, the games are not stretched.

game cube games that support 16:9 will have an 16:9 option in the option menu and Mario kart and metroid prime doesn’t have that so it doesn’t support widescreen. maybe your TV has something like smart mode(Sony TVs) or automatic( on Philips TVs) that stretches the screen but in the middle it is still unchanged. And therefore unnoticeable. i personaly hate this mode because sometimes its realy notisable.

My TV is a cheapass Daewoo widescreen actually, but so far it has rendered any game I hooked up to it in widescreen. My Cube seems to recognise it's a widescreen TV automatically, as it renders the game squished without asking and then I must use the 'full screen' mode (the one that stretches 4:3 to 16:9) to get the good dimensions. It seems I have to put it on 60 Hz for this, but I'm not sure.

I can tell you Metroid Prime 2 looks damn brilliant this way though :heh:

our standard at the moment is basically 480i at the moment.

GC didn't support 480p in europe, but I imagine Wii will.

480p is 16:9, 60Hz progressive scan.

I thought Nintendo stated last E3 that Wii games needed to run 480p as standard, but also support 480i.

I may be getting confused with microsoft who placed a minimum requirement of 720i support, or Nintendo may have changed this, but I was under the impression 480p was going to be standard.

our standard at the moment is basically 480i at the moment.

GC didn't support 480p in europe, but I imagine Wii will.

480p is 16:9, 60Hz progressive scan.

I thought Nintendo stated last E3 that Wii games needed to run 480p as standard, but also support 480i.

I may be getting confused with microsoft who placed a minimum requirement of 720i support, or Nintendo may have changed this, but I was under the impression 480p was going to be standard.

480p is not standard in 16:9 Widescreen. i saw allot of 480 p usa games that weren’t 16:9. like baten kaitos and DK: Jungle beat.

720i and 720p do have 16:9 as an standard but in 480i or p its an option.

480p is not standard in 16:9 Widescreen. i saw allot of 480 p usa games that weren’t 16:9. like baten kaitos and DK: Jungle beat.

720i and 720p do have 16:9 as an standard but in 480i or p its an option.

interesting, guess I was misinformed.

***update***

Shigeru miyamoto gives an update on widescreen capability's

Nintendo: It's great to see Zelda now displayed in 16:9. 480p. Will most Wii titles be displayed like that, or will some appear in higher resolutions?

Shigeru Miyamoto: First of all, our standard is going to be 480p, but if you put that on a very nice television it's going to look very nice.

As for the widescreen, you know obviously the Wii is capable of displaying the widescreen. Zelda is a game that displays the widescreen because it makes the game a lot better when you can see more of the world, so in that sense obviously with Zelda we're going to display in widescreen. I think it's really up to the developers in terms of whether they want to use widescreen or not. Because we implemented this fully in the Wii, we at Nintendo tend to take advantage of it as much as we can. In addition to that, obviously the Wii is much more powerful so when it displays in widescreen... so with a game like Zelda it runs much better in widescreen than it would in three-by-four. So you can expect great things out of that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shigeru Miyamoto also said: In terms of the experience itself obviously the interface is different, so that opens up for a very different experience between the two games. I've actually already gotten used to the Wii controller for Zelda, and because of that I'm incapable of going back.

We've already talked about the 16:9 widescreen, which is obviously another difference, and then again if you take the Wii version and played that on the three-by-four television, it's not going to strip down; it'll actually change, it'll cut off the edges of the screen, so that also offers a different experience as well.

Sign in to follow this