NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Colin

3D Modelling Thread

All of a sudden 3D modeling has interested me. Whats a good program for a noob? And whats a good program for pros? (For later use) Thanks!

Id say 3ds MAX. I started on Maya and its not very n00b friendly. Max has a very large tutorial and forum support group surrounding it and its really good for modelling which is the first thing that you will do.

Just looked back a few pages and saw the Great Court, nice work Colin. I take it the roof is flat and textured with alpha to make it transparent?

Soz I didn't get back to you about this.

IIRC I made the roof from having the roof plan, and looking over the top of it. Then from there I traced over where the lines were with the line tool, and then applied a lattice modifier to it. To make it dome like, I think I made a torus and put that where the top of the building is and where the roof would of connected to it, and then constrained the centre of the roof object to that.

Tbh though, you're right, just doing it with an alpha would have got a decent result as well.

Yay! Sorry I havent really done texturing yet and have only just fully understood recently what the alpha channel is. My programming friends tell me that you can play with alpha for fun things.

Like in multiplayer games when you need a team to be a colour, you colour them with alpha and then use code to say "alpha = team colour". And hey presto!

Im gonna be doing a lot of work over the summer. Tryin to do a model a week and a tutorial a week. I want them to be textured too but ill need to learn the ins and outs of that first.

Anyone know any good sites where I can get some decent free textures for some 3D modelling. Obviously I could just google, but someone might know of some decent libraries. A person's advice is better than a search engines.

I'm using 3DS Max.

Just basic materials, wood, glass, metal, grass, water. Just a few decent basic textures.

I got some from here (their site is down, so I've used Google's saved page). I think they worked with max 9.

That site is awesome!

Aye it's a favourite of mine. You learn how to use them unlike the one's you simply import. Helps you learn more about textures. Even though materials and textures is my most hated part of 3D digital modelling.

And no problem, man.

Thats a few pages down though. Maybe a mod should just make this the official one.

here's a little movie I made earlier today

click here

What ever happened to the active 3D modelling and animation group we had here at NE.

Alot of people do 3D modeling for a course in school and then stop when they finish the corse. I'll probably be the same unless I can get a copy of cinema 4D which is possible because of connections I have.

I've added a castle and a river of Lava to the above video now but haven't been able to render it.

Here's a few other renders of mine.

abstract fireworkish thing (cell shaded)

Lightsaber 1.jpg

Lightsaber 2.jpg

Lightsaber 3.jpg

Is this at secondary school?

Anyone here do digital modelling and animation at Uni?

Yes its high school. We're using version 6 of cinema 4d so thats why my stuff looks pretty bad. Plus those were some of my earlier projects.

I actually got the highest mark in the course for term 1 (100%)

Can anyone find me a cinema 4D tutorial that will work with version 6 that involves a large modeling project?

If you're looking for a tutorial that centralises on modelling, then don't worry too much about the version of the program the tutorial was created for. Because the differences between the actual modelling part of each program doesn't change too much, especially you're regular poly-modelling.

In cinema 4D alot of stuff has changed since version 6 though including many modleing things. Its not just basic modleing it should use many of the programs more advanced modleing features.

See the assignment was to either build a haunted house from a certain tutorial or we could find another tutorial that was equaly advanced and use that. Then we had to add to the model on our own and animate it.

Here's another one I've done.

sink.jpg

That's pretty good EMasher, I wish I had the chance to do 3D modelling at secondary/high school. Didn't even have the chance to do it at A Level (college level) where I went. I've had to wait until Uni before I can do it. Although I have been doing some work in my spare time. I will post something in the next couple of days.

So I said I would post something and so I have. Haven't done any 3D work for about 2 years, although I still kept an interest. I'm going onto university to do computer animation so I have started again during my gap year.

Model was copied from something I bought from Turkey earlier this year.

The first render doesn't.. look right, looks stretched and something went wrong with that render.

BassMan5.jpg

So I rendered it a different way so it didn't look blurred and stretched, but, as I knew I would, some of the "bits" didn't look smooth. The shoulder and the legs for instance.

BassMan4.jpg

Both "problems" are too pointless to try and fix seeing as they don't actually need fixing... anyway, I'll put some materials and texture on it and do a proper render.

Sign in to follow this