NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Colin

3D Modelling Thread

That's some really nice looking cloth. :) Obviously there are ways everything can be improved, but, I would suggest you go onto another project and try to improve your skills on something else so I'm not going to mention any problems... :) Hopefully I'll see something new from you. ^^d

I'm going to be posting some pics of a character I've got to start making soon so I won't post anything for now.... I'll also be showing some renders of a appartment type thing I have to do. ^^;; The first project is far more interesting. lol

Hehe thanks.... I have to say that modelling characters is a much bigger challenge then I expected..... Especially modelling them without a reference picture (my mistake ^^;.)

Anyway, has anyone else attempted to model a character or any kind yet? I know someone did a whale earlier in the thread..... How about anyone else? Show your results. :)

i was looking through what i had, software, and i came across blender, i remember downloading it becasue i wanted to do some 3d modelling. i opened it and i was baffled by everything. even the bleedin mouse had about 6 functions!

does anyone know of any good noob tutorials for blender? is anyone else usingblender here? if so how long did it take to learn to use?

i wouldnt mind moddeling a figure but ive not even got passed GCSE's yet, so i want to go at a steady pace.

so does anyone know a good tutorial(s) for noobs like me?

Start on this I did because I find reading tutorials boring...

And more tutorials

Blender has a great interface as soon as you get familiar with it.

ah...didnt think of the offical website for it. he he he.....:) silly me cheers for the links, in the next year i might be posting something in his thread :D

Start on this I did because I find reading tutorials boring...

And more tutorials

Blender has a great interface as soon as you get familiar with it.

Ausome,:bowdown: incredibly ausome

I'm currently trying to get into 3D Studio Max, however, the official tutorial often confuses me and although I think I'm doing the same as instructed I get different results.

I looked for other good tutorials but couldn't find any.

Does anyone know a good tutorial?

http://www.3dtotal.com is awesome..... Infact once you want to get into character modelling defo go there! There is an amazing tutorial on creating joan of arc.... So much detail!

You can also get other great tutorials there..... ;)

http://www.3dtotal.com is awesome..... Infact once you want to get into character modelling defo go there! There is an amazing tutorial on creating joan of arc.... So much detail!

You can also get other great tutorials there..... ;)

Thanks a lot, I read into some of them and they are indeed very promising.

Looks like I've missed loads around here! :angry: (That's an angry with myself for not finding time for this thread) :kiss:

I've been real busy with college work recently since Christmas...........but I've finally got something worthy to show.

has anyone else attempted to model a character or any kind yet?

And its a character of some sort aswell! :wink: This is just a a college assignment which finished up not long ago.....I think I mentioned it before.......but anyway, we had to do a tribute to Aaardman Animations Creature Comforts but with a 3D model instead of stop-motion. I'll try and get the final video up at somepoint soonish.

Creature_comforts_overview.jpg

-----------

Darkcloud - I love that massive city of yours. Looks like you had a pretty intensive modelling session there with that aswell. The first image in your posting of that looks awesome. Brilliant lighting aswell. :love:

Bogbas - That's a well good attempt, considering it's your first render aswell. I don't think I managed anything like that in my first couple of attempts at stuff.

Matt - Nice cloth there, and real good flow aswell.

Good to see a few other people join this thread with learning Blender aswell........especially when some of you are still doing GCSE's, I mean these programs are really quite complicated and they definetly take some dedication. I hope some of you keep at it, as sometimes it can really feel like you're getting nowhere with it.............but once you render something you've put alot of time into, you kind of look back and just think "yessssssss" in your head that you've now got something you're real proud of. (I hope that makes sense in someway). :hmm:

I recently got accepted for 3D Games Art at Hertfordshire Uni, but then they let me know that they primarily use Max. So looks like I'm going to have to join all the Max users here, and slowly move over from Maya.

My next piece of work will hopefully be a car that I'm working on. There's a wip image on my site if anyone wants to check it, but it's nothing really so far. Just wish I had more time for all this at the mo.

Darkcloud - Soz about not updating the video compression programs. I'll try and get that done aswell, as I would love to see a video of your city. What format video does Max render out as aswell?

It renders in .mov format. v.v;;

Nice Nemoish fish you got there, I can see the likeness to creature comforts as well. Good work. ^^d

Bogbas - That's a well good attempt, considering it's your first render aswell. I don't think I managed anything like that in my first couple of attempts at stuff.

Thanks,

But maybe the first 3d model is a bit misleading, as it's the first blender model I made. But also a first render that I took more than 15 mins to do... I have fiddled with povray, and moray in the past. Now it seems I haven't got much time on my hands to do 3d modelling. Work and studying to entrance exams taking up most of my time. And of course playing also. But it should ease up towards the summer. And I will post some updates to the knife or other things then.

This is a good thread lets try to keep it going! There's some great work. :hehe:

Here's a couple of examples of things im working on at the moment.

example1.jpg

example2.jpg

example3.jpg

V.Nice, im trying to understand the blender, but the tutorials didn't make sence either. I don't know how to start.

V.Nice, im trying to understand the blender, but the tutorials didn't make sence either. I don't know how to start.

im in the same boat, i got the videos from that tutorial website, and it made no sense to me at all. id just like a tutorial thatll show you how to make something.

like with photoshop i did ttorials which then helped me to learn the layout easy. if there was the same thing with blender then i could probably start to use it

The thing is with any 3d modelling software is that it is infact very different from photoshop, it isn't as easy to pick up and just make something...... This is the reason I quit when I was younger and waited until I had someone teach me. lol

However, there are some really good tutorials...... If you go to 3dtotal.com and look at project overviews there are tutorials that kind of apply to all software.... I would suggest messing around with tools on a simple primitive however just to get to know what they do. :)

Time to bump this.

Heres my latest attempt at moddeling:

[Click on the image for a 1280x800 pixel one. (size of my desktop)]

GolfBall__Cube_Small.jpg

im in the same boat, i got the videos from that tutorial website, and it made no sense to me at all. id just like a tutorial thatll show you how to make something.

like with photoshop i did ttorials which then helped me to learn the layout easy. if there was the same thing with blender then i could probably start to use it

Try to find the pdf called BlenderTutorialGuide1.pdf it teaches how to make stuff. But when you get into doing them watching the interface tutorials vid helped me to get where I wanted.

Edit: Nice golf ball there Cube, how and with what did you make that grass?

Edit: Nice golf ball there Cube, how and with what did you make that grass?

I made a few samples of the grass, then used the "scatter" tool in 3ds Max.

I've made grass the exact same way before cube.. It's a really nice easy way of making grass for something like that........ Not really a good idea if you aren't gunna go that close though. lol

Cube - Wow, real realistic golf ball, and the grass looks lush aswell. I'm not familiar with max, but it looks like that scatter tool makes some good results. It sounds kind of like Maya's PaintFX.

I still haven't managed to get my fish animation up yet, as the renders keep screwing up............and when it takes like nearly two days to render a minutes footage it becomes real annoying. Going to try again this weekend I think.

Sign in to follow this