NEurope
Nick

What The Hell?? Nintendo Wii!!??

Yeah, I agree - it will be accepted, and remembered.

Plus it will be all made worthwhile when Reggie says, "Nintendo Wii, we p*ss on the competition"

Thats actually a good thought, i'm sure Reggie must have something planed in his speech that will turn this into something great.

After his "That's Sony's screw up not my problem" line from last year, imagine what this kind of fuel could inspire him to say

Maybe it stands for

Wireless, interactive, innotive or something similar.

N5, what was wrong with N5 huh ? huh ?

It actually stands for Nintendo V, as in roman FIVE...

But may I suggest urgent rename to Nintendo WWII - it would sound so much meaner.

Maybe it stands for

i always liked N5... even Nintendo V would have been better than Wii!!

actually playstation has 3 syllables PLAY-STA-TION

I know I was just foolin, but seriously this name could do a lot harm when trying to win over costomers that are new to nintendo.

It actually stands for Nintendo V, as in roman FIVE...

quite scary how i wrote Nintendo V without reading your post.

Maybe it stands for

No, that would have made at least some kind of sense. Nintendo don't want to be sensible. Wii...it's still not sounding any better.

To be honest...I don't like it and i do....But overall I like it!!!

It's catchy and has alot of shock value....Think about it; how boring is the name 360 or PS3?! Quite!!!

Now look around you at other names of certain products; you'll notice that even iPod is a slightly weird name.

Sure, there will be joke to start with; but as Nintendo have said, it's easy to remember; there are no abreviations, and to be honest, i think they're going for a bit of shock value. Also I think the name sounds quite modern, like a lot of other new kinda stuff.

I don't get why people are saying the name is childish and humiliating, and people say they might aswell call it the poo; if you think so, then you're just a little child yourself. That's like saying that the french might aswell go around saying "Shit shit".

The name is supposed to be new age, like the iPod. Apple and Nintendo should so get into bed with each other; especially since they both have the same ememies.

Anyway...I'm sure there will be some good adverts; and I'm glad to see they've kept the white look for the logo too.

Edit McMad; you friends sound like right losers.

why didnt you get wii-europe.com???

For the simple reason that AMN have bought that name for this site.

Just got home and i must say im very surprised... i personaly think its ok but who buys things because it has a cool name? i used to think ipod was a stupid name but everyone brought one so it just become accepted

I dont care how many times i read it i keep (and probably always will be) calling it wy!! its the double i that makes my brain not communicate with my mouth properly and i say wy........

at least it sounds better wee....i mean wii

Random person: 'Hi, where have you been?'

Me: 'Oh, I've just been playing with my wee.'

(apologies if that joke has been done, I couldn't be arsed reading the entire thread)

but ipod sounds fine thou! Wii (as in 'we') sounds rubbish, just think of the adverts when they say the name, 'only for nintendo we' uurrggghhhhh no thankyou

Just though of this!

"Wii are not ammused..."

I am so good.

Sorry matey, you were SO beaten on that, someone already posted an image with that on page 5!

I want to know if the controller will be called a Wii-stick.

For the simple reason that AMN have bought that name for this site.

ah of course!!! Stupid me!!:heh:

but ipod sounds fine thou! Wii or We sounds rubbish, just think of the adverts when they say the name, 'only for nintendo we' uurrggghhhhh no thankyou

yeah had a big discussion over the dinner table wit me bro about that........:shakehead:(

wii-europe.com?

EDIT: Just read up a few posts, seems somebody else already thought of it :P

I love the way they go on about the name being appropriate for the whole world, yet somehow fail to realise that it actually means 'urine' in one of their largest markets.

The biggest problem is that wee means urine over here in England. I guess that NoA assumed uk slang = US slang, so didn't properly research the name.

Or perhaps they misjudged how common and well known it was as a slang term.

the name works well for mainland europe, I don't see a reason why US ppl would care about it.. is wee used as slang in Australia/Canada? I'll assume it isn't.

anyway, to be fair, wee is a bit random.. and if I said " we went to the park"

people don't go and laugh "hehe, he said "wee"

so it MAY be ok, really it is just the less mature who'll be affected by it, so those under 18 mainly, obviously with the occassional insecure person who is older but still objects to the name.

I don't like the name, but seeing as the average age on this forum is probably around 14-15 (at a guess) there'll be more of a negative response.

time will tell I guess

So I did a little comic, how they possibly came up with the name. I know it's stupid but someone had to do it :D

wii.jpg

i can't think of any way nintendo can make it sound good (or mature)

• only for nintendo we - sounds awful
  • out now on nintendo we - ouchie
  • only for 'we' - whaaaa run away!!
  • *wispery voice* weeeee - (like the gamecube uk ads) now that is just disturbing!

You ppl just don't get the many levels of that name, do you?

First: It's unique, very different than any other console name out there, just like the whole console concept.

Second: This is Nintendo's fifth home console, number 5 in roman numbers is V, pronounced "wii"

Third: Very easy to make nice marketing ideas, like "Wii will rock you!" etc.

Fourth: Think about DS, now what the hell is that? Oh, dual-screen. Now think Wii, what the heck is that? Wireless Interactive Interface maybe? Oh...

Fifth: Think it also this way: the two ii's are like two remote controllers, and the big W is like a receiver. Like this:

W

i i

Get it?

The more you think of the name, the more depth you'll find from it. Just my two cents...