NEurope
Nintendork

Photography.

So I just bought a 450d.

The battery is currently charging, and I'm trying to work out how I'm going to eat the next few months :D

^ I was thinking about upgrading to a DSLR yesterday and was looking at the 450D, but then I found out it doesn't have a built in Image Stabiliser, meaning IS has to be built into all the lenses making them more expensive.

I don't how how much more in comparison, but I'm now not so sure. :hmm:

Edited by Retro_Link

the kit lens has IS.

Go for Olympus or Pentax if you want on-body Image Stabilisation, but realise there's less of a market for lenses or something.

Either way, not the camera that makes the image etcetc.

Either way, not the camera that makes the image etcetc.
True, I've done alright up until now with premium compacts.

Yeah I read that the incuded lense had built in IS... btw what does it mean by 'kit'?... standard?

I had a look at the Olympus E-510 which looked good, but I did kinda have my heart set on getting a Canon, was a bit dissapointing.

I'm pretty new to the world of attachable lenses, how do you know which ones to get... as in can you just buy them equivalent to Optical zoom distance (18x etc...)? and then of course there's Macro's, but that's ok.

Have you had a look at any extra lenses, and their costs?

I had a look at the Olympus E-510 which looked good, but I did kinda have my heart set on getting a Canon, was a bit dissapointing.

I have the E-510. Can't fault it really, although I've never used any other DSLR so I can't really compare it to others. Feel free to look through my DeviantArt and see if the quality is good enough for you. Bear in mind that some of the older pictures were taken on my old Kodak though. I think DeviantArt tells you which camera was used in the photo info though.

I hadn't heard about there not being many lenses for Olympus cameras. I know that the Zuiko lenses (Olympus' own brand IIRC) are generally seen as good, but are a bit pricey (the one I want is £700). Also IIRC the E-510 can take any Four Thirds lens, so any here should work.

It is indeed. It wasn't that bad, I only went for day trips both times I went. I just like being near the sea, so anywhere coastal is good to me! Don't think I'd last a week there though.

So if Weston Super Mare is a shithole and you recognised it from my photos, does that mean my photos are shit? Balls. Fishing, fishing!

I recognised purely from the M5 S/Sea Front road markings...

I think you're photos are the best Weston has ever looked, but then it couldn't really look any worse :heh:

How long ago were you there? Before the pier burnt down?

I've never been before the pier burnt down (honestly copper!). First time I went was shortly after it burnt down and the second was a year or two later.

This was from the first time I went:

n687920340_4058089_1972.jpg

n687920340_4058088_1633.jpg

Not a great picture really, but I love the way the framework looks like some bizarre creature. Almost like a facehugger.

Both were taken on my old camera before I got Photoshop. I should really go back and rework some of my older pictures.

h43_21794511.jpg

Armante Cherisma cries in front of the body of her daughter, Fabienne, 15 years old, killed by a policeman while looting wall hangings in the Marthely Seiee street January 19, 2010 in Port-au-Prince, Haiti.

h13_21739847.jpg

Blood on her visor, Pier Boutin, an orthopedic surgeon from Fairview Hospital in Great Barrington, Massachusetts, uses a hacksaw to amputate a woman's leg in Port Au Prince General Hospital on January 16th, 2010.

e20_21742607.jpg

A man rides a horse through the embers and flames of a bonfire in San Bartolome de Pinares, Spain on Saturday, Jan. 16, 2010, in honor of Saint Anthony, the patron saint of animals.

My favourite thing. Horses and fire.

It's like how Avatar would have been 10x better if they'd extended the shot of the "horse" on fire, since it was best thing.

a14_21735387.jpg

A charcoal seller covers his mouth with a scarf as he waits for customers in front of his shop in Kabul, Afghanistan, on Saturday, Jan. 16, 2010.

Edit: Okay, so still learning about my camera. Here are a couple shots I took.

4319470417_167ba99162_b.jpg

4319468409_91c72b8129_b.jpg

Edit: Did some colour correction.

4325731566_cb4e0e0d54_b.jpg

4325751990_c14b8504e8_b.jpg

Edited by Daft

Mmmm cake.

Dunno if its what you were going for but you could always ramp up the saturation of the strawberry one and get something more...vibrant.

As found in The Metro today:

article-1265186989646-081FA911000005DC-711015_636x480.jpg

article-1265187253685-081FA91A000005DC-56960_466x410.jpg

Decided to kick it 8 bit today and get some rad shots, old skool.

One retro icon:

GB.jpg

Two retro icons:

GB2.jpg

GB22.jpg

I love it. It's like he's patting it patronizingly on the head.

Reminds me of our cats. They'll gently put their paw toward something they're unsure about. As if to poke it to check.

D.I.S.C.O.

znpg7b.jpg

2ryltt5.jpg

2m2cd4j.jpg

etc.

Went to Oxford for valentines day (singletons fending off lonliness). I donned my camera, tourist style and went to work:

Museum:

P2141633.jpg

P2141637.jpg

P2141658.jpg

This woman was deep in thought and I had no idea what it was about. It intrigued me

P2141660.jpg

P2141663.jpg

P2141671.jpg

P2141676.jpg

Museum Credits:

P2141685.jpg

Random bike

P2141688.jpg

On to the Castle (the princess was unfortunately in another one)

P2141708.jpg

P2141717.jpg

Light trails on the bus home

P2141730.jpg

P2141731.jpg

The first one reminds me of
. Lyrically. Sort of.

I think this wins the "most desperate attempt at including Tori Amos in a thread" award :heh:

P2141663.jpg
Really like this one.

I need to go back to the Ashmolean one day.

Is the castle near the old prison? I can't remember.