N-Europe

1024x640 on widescreen per component cable?

goku21

Graphics system with embedded frame buffer having reconfigurable pixel formats

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=2&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=62&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=nintendo.AS.&OS=AN/nintendo&RS=AN/nintendo

perhaps this is a revolution patent....it´s not 720p but a fair approach i think...just search for 1024

Graphics system with embedded frame buffer having reconfigurable pixel formats

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=2&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=62&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=nintendo.AS.&OS=AN/nintendo&RS=AN/nintendo

perhaps this is a revolution patent....it´s not 720p but a fair approach i think...just search for 1024

Thats fine... my HDTV probably will not scale a picture very well to that resolution though, so the result will likely not be a huge improvement.... I'd prefer simple 480p support for every game.

i also don't think this means developers can just configure the output resolution how they like.

Ohh sorry read it twice and it says 720x576 is output-format...

...which is not widescreen is it?

that would be a shame...

aren't you forgetting the chip will output to another chip which sorts out how the image is sent and displayed? the graphics chip does not draw direct to the screen like that.

No. The Cube (and therefore 100% sure Revolution) framebuffer system is the same in every GameCube around the world, and it is focussed on the more standard NTSC 640x480 (4:3 standard) and 800x480 (16:9 widescreen) resolutions. It's not a coincidence that the Cube's 2 MB framebuffer is exactly big enough for a double-buffered 32-bit 640x480 framebuffer.

What kept me wondering for a long time was, if all Revo games also have to support 16:9. After all if I stretch the image the FHC won't point exactly on the screen where I'm aiming and if I'm playing 4:3 I have this ugly black bars...

I would be very happy if the Revo could output everything in 16:9.

What kept me wondering for a long time was, if all Revo games also have to support 16:9. After all if I stretch the image the FHC won't point exactly on the screen where I'm aiming and if I'm playing 4:3 I have this ugly black bars...

I didn't think about that. thats a good Question.

What about 576p then? As to my knowledge the majority of tv's don't display a progressive picture unless it's a HDTV?

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

And how noticable is the difference between a 480i and 480p image?

A game knows whether it's rendered in widescreen or not, so tweaks in the FHC calibration could be easily made.

Seeing every GC game I own runs in widescreen, I'm sure nearly every Revo game will support widescreen as well.