N-Europe

Movies Like Hero, House Of Flying Daggers?

Calza

hmmm, well take a look at this and tell me what u think of that. It is set in 19th century japan, great story, superb acting and some awesome action scenes.

Yeah That seemed pretty good but there was something about it kinda lacking the "gloss" of what the others have, I'm defianetely intrested in it, is it HMV/ Silverscreen? Just at the moment i doubt i could get it over the net

You can buy it over the net certainly, cheaper at that, the film is called Zatoichi, it stars "beat" Takeshi Kitano, who was also in battle royale. Film won a few awards at cannes.

Beat Takeshi rules!:D Battlle Royale = most amazing film ever. The amount of people who've told me "subtitled films are stupid" and then i got them to watch BR and they were stunned at how great it was.

back on topic:

Well if you don't mind older films, you should try some older Jet Li and Jackie Chan films like the Once Upon a time in China films (Jet Li) or Drunken Master (Jackie Chan)

Beat Takeshi rules!:D Battlle Royale = most amazing film ever. The amount of people who've told me "subtitled films are stupid" and then i got them to watch BR and they were stunned at how great it was.

back on topic:

Well if you don't mind older films, you should try some older Jet Li and Jackie Chan films like the Once Upon a time in China films (Jet Li) or Drunken Master (Jackie Chan)

i have a new policy, if you watch a film outside of an english country, do NOT watch it dubbed. it ruins the film COMPLETELY.

speaking of beat takeshi, i need to see violent cop.

i have a new policy, if you watch a film outside of an english country, do NOT watch it dubbed. it ruins the film COMPLETELY.

I live by that also. Although i do tend to not mind when it comes to Kung Fu films, prolly cuz i grew up on Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan dubbed films, as they were only available to me dubbed at the time (VHS).

But for more "modern" and Horror espcially i'm thankful that few pubishers make english Dubs (Tartan are gods). Only one Asian film that i bought on DVD had an English Dub, Ju-On (The Grudge), like a fool i ended up watching it with the english dub on the first time i watched because my cousin who was with me didn't want to read subs. Oh god, it just wasn't right.

Although, when i did get round to watching it subbed, it was a much better experience, however unlike many others i still wasn't too impressed with the film...and is only one of two asian films i've bought that haven't impresed me. The 2nd being "Spiral"... which is actually the "real" sequal to Ring as the books go, however it was so bad they decided to pretend it never happened and made Ring2 with the same actors. I only got it for collection purposes::shrug:

Can you reccoment me some asian horror/thriller? I have seen The eye, Grudge, Phone, H, Lady vengence, old boy, bad guy, ichi the killer, battle royal 1 + 2, Sympathy For Mr Vengeance, Koma and a few others. R-point, das boot (german) and a tale of two sisters are on my to watch list already.

See Oldboy. It's amazing. the ending is probably the darkest, most brutal destruction of a character I've ever seen. It just left me stunned.

He already has seen it:indeed:

Anyway, Jimmy i'd recomend you (and everyone else for that matter) look into, Pulse, Versus, Internal Affairs 1+2, Gen X Cops, The Eye 2, Ring 1,2 and 0, Dark Water, Audition, Wishing Stairs, Whispering Corridors and Vital... that's all that come to mind at the moment

He already has seen it:indeed:

Anyway, Jimmy i'd recomend you (and everyone else for that matter) look into, Pulse, Versus, Internal Affairs 1+2, Gen X Cops, The Eye 2, Ring 1,2 and 0, Dark Water, Audition, Wishing Stairs, Whispering Corridors and Vital... that's all that come to mind at the moment

shit. i actually misread that. oops.:)

oh you should see all 3 infernal affairs films, not just 1+2. they kick a huge ammount of ass.

I loved Crouching Tiger, but didn't think much of House of Flying Daggers or Hero. The choreography and cinematography was great in all what made Tiger so good was the great drama and characters that ties it all together. I just didn't think Hero or Daggers achieved the same level of quality in those vital areas, which is must for this high-octane art house films.

The whole plot to Hero has some very nice ideas (the whole of thing of a different colour scheme for each version of the truth he tells is a wonderful conception) but at points it really did get a little too preachy and pretentious, and the underlying drama just wasn't good enough to keep it together. Somehow the cast just didn't quite get the chance to their acting thang. The film just skipped merrily from one insane high-kicking situation to the next mega-emotional moment, but I never felt like any of the characters were given time to develop, destroying the drama. The result was I just didn't really get intrested in the characters. When they're going around pretending to kill each other and shizzle, you need the relationship between the characters to be strong, not just in terms of story, but also in the minds eye of the audience. Without the nescerry charcterisation, I just felt this was all a tad flat. The terrible side-effect is I don't believe anything that happens. I believe that everything happend as it happend in Crouching Tiger, I'm convinced that the future of a proud ruling family is very truly at stake. These are real people flying around the roof tops. In order for these sorts of films to work, they demand that suspension of disbelief from the audience and I simply never got that with Hero. Flying Daggers had great charcters and a decent story, but I simply felt they were rather underused.

Don't get me wrong, Hero was OK, and Daggers is quite good, certainly entertaining but neither are quite what they need to be, and don't hold a candle to the masterclass that is Crouching Tiger. Then again, few films do...

See, i really like the little moments in Hero. the duel between Nameless and Broken Sword on the lake is, for me, a wonderful performance. It makes you really feel for Broken Sword. The thing with Hero is that the actors are part of a greater artistic whole in a way. the lake fight being the perfect example of the art direction being based around the emotion of the scene and the characters.

It's a strange film, but one with alot of hidden depth.