N-Europe

Does anyone do Film Studies or anything

Dan_Dare

Depends on which system your school/college/uni uses. Presume its the Harvard (think thats the one I used) way, its the most common apparently. Take note of italics and the like.

Title. (Year) Person or body responsible for production. Running time. Production company. Place of production or publication (if known). Format.

eg

Serenity. (2005) Directed By Joss Whedon. 119 minutes. Universal Pictures. United States of America. DVD.

The "Place of production or publication" is a bit tricky, as with Serenity some was filmed in Aus (or NZ can't remember), I put USA there but they probably wouldn't kill you if you skipped it.

The "Place of production or publication" is a bit tricky, as with Serenity some was filmed in Aus (or NZ can't remember), I put USA there but they probably wouldn't kill you if you skipped it.

I did Film Studies for A Level, and we were told that the films origin comes from where it was financed. Like Lost In Translation for example was filmed all in Japan, but it's a US made film.

I did Film Studies for A Level, and we were told that the films origin comes from where it was financed. Like Lost In Translation for example was filmed all in Japan, but it's a US made film.

But then what about films such as (I think) Harry Potter which is financed by Britain and America?

I do Media at Uni which entails Film Studies, actually I have an essay I should be doing now anyway. For crediting films, what I've been doing is just naming the title [in italics] with the year in brackets afterwards. If you wish to name the director go ahead, but I haven't found them asking for a place of publication as they do with books.

One of my mates did film studies, got great results and stuff.

He now claims job seekers allowance.

Its all about getting contacts and stuff, you need to get your foot in the door before you leave uni. Im starting it in September. Although I have a back up plan, well actually I have like three.

Ashley - I did some research, and it appears the place of origin comes from both where the film was financed and where it was shot.

Examples:-

Lord of the Rings - USA/New Zealand

Lost In Translation - USA/Japan

Got the old film studies book out and researched the Harvard System abit.

........but yeah, like Ashley said, prob could just skip that bit.

But if you want to work in film, do you really need a degree? Would it not just be better to go and get some work experience and get your 'foot in the door' now?

Well they say they're churning out a lot of media degree students, so someone with a degree is gonna look more favourable (arguably if you had experience and skipped the degree maybe - but doing the degree gets you practical experience too, and without having to fork over for equiptment). Plus unis are all about "transferable skills" nowadays, stuff like giving presentation, sorting out info etc etc. Because you do a degree in such a such, doens't mean you have to do a job in that. My friend has a geography degree and is doing something for the police.

Maybe I won't end up making films, I wouldn't mind teaching college students film studies. But im not sure if my not-allowed-to-teach-kids status applies to college people too.