N-Europe

3D YOURSELF (awesome)

The3rdChildren

So here's the gist. Thanks to forumer Miek and Tim Buckley of CTRL-ALT-DEL webcomic fame, a fantastic little creative tool has come to my attention. I've spent a good few hours messing around with it today and I think this could be an interesting thing for people to have a go at.

To model your face in 3D, you will need to:

- Go to This site and download the Facegen Modeller 3.1 demo and install it.

- Prepare an image of yourself taken blank-faced from the front, although it'll work with any front facing image.

Obtaining a 3D model of your head/face:

When you load the application, click the Photofit tab and next. Add the image of yourself and assign the crosses to the area of your face like it shows you how to in the sample image. Then click to start. A small window will pop up with a small head in which will gradually morph into yours in the space of appoximately 20 minutes, eventually leaving you with a fully rotatable 3D representation of your head (bald because this is a free demo).

Print screen it into your preferred image-editing application and presto and show it here with a comparisson shot of the real you:

DON'T WANT TO DO YOURSELF? DO SOMEONE ELSE OR SOMEONE FAMOUS.

Here's mine to kick you guys off.

ReallyCreepyStare.jpg

Yeah, this stare creeps me out too. Pretty old pic (I look even more ill now) but it worked quite well.

Me3d2.jpg

Feel free to show multiple angles of the model.

(Thanks for sorting this out, mods)

Just got home after a long night at work, so excuse the photo. ;)

before.jpg

3d.jpg

There used to be a program called 3DMeNow. Did pretty much the same thing. The BBC to 3D Ann Robinson's head for some of the earlier Weakest Link adverts. This gives much better results though!

We had an hour or so last night of creating renders of people's heads. Here are a few others we cracked out:

Tony Almeida from 24

TonyAlmeida.jpg

Forumer CVD with cake on his face. Here's the original pic:

242382428a445327872b704910553l.jpg

Here are the model pics. You can enhance them to look more african or asian too, as I've done here:

colin.jpg

Here's one of my actual Dad. Feel free to compare to John Locke:

Dad3D.jpg

• 2 weeks later...