NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
cheets

Rita

*is so worried*

My boyfriend lives in Texas... ;_____;

He doesn't live close to the coast though (Dallas area), so I hope he won't have to deal with too much hurricane stuff...

*continues to worry*

I'm hoping Houston gets away without being destroyed, I'm supposed to be flying there in a month or so.

(I also hope no one dies and stuff).

Sometimes I'm really quite glad I didn't learn to drive and get a car before going to Uni. It's like having a leech permanently attached to your wallet.

I'm gonna see if I can just try and avoid a car altogether - easier said than done. How about mopeds :D.

EDIT

I'm talking about rising fuel prices because of the hurricane i.e. I don't have a car and thus don't need to worry about rising fuel prices. Capiche?

But Babes, when you've got your foot welded to the floor and your raping it down the open road doing speeds that would cause the driving examiner to spin in hes grave, you can't help but feel exhilerated.

EDIT - Offerman would like to take this oppertunity to say that he does not condone driving in excess of the designated speed limit at anytime.

EDIT - Offerman would like to take this oppertunity to say that he does not condone driving in excess of the designated speed limit at anytime.

Or the use of a spell-check.

http://news.yahoo.com/

it says here tha tits headed right for the oil. bush is gonna be mad :lmao:

you guys should see the traffic jams in texas.

The unprecedented flight from the flood-prone Houston area Thursday brought traffic to a standstill, frustrating hundreds of thousands of people. Cars overheated and ran out of gas. Some drivers gave up and turned around and went home.

"It can't get much worse, 100 yards an hour," fumed Willie Bayer, 70. "It's frustrating bumper-to-bumper."

Or the use of a spell-check.

Had you have used a question-mark. As if you where asking me a question, I would have mearly laughed. However as you where making a statement, all I can really do is slide my well lubricated, endowed manhood into you. Prepare yourself.

ritaBanner.jpg

I came into this thread expecting discussion about this. I am disappointed.

ritaBanner.jpg

I came into this thread expecting discussion about this. I am disappointed.

thats not a very good name for a ride. imo :hmm:

it says here tha tits headed right for the oil.

Yeah; 25% of all of Americas oil refineries are in Texas!!!!!

and i think i heard on the news that there are about 160+ oil rigs off the Texas-Louisiana coastline!!!!!

The ones that stood in Katrinas way got ripped apart!

This is gonna be some devastating consequences!!!

thats not a very good name for a ride. imo :hmm:

Damn Americans shouldn't have named a hurricane/whatever after it then.

I know it's bad and everything, but am I the only one who really doesn't care?

its now been downgraded to a cat 3, but is still scarily massive, on the news they put an image of Britain over the storm and yeah you guessed it the storm is bigger than our entire island!

Damn Americans shouldn't have named a hurricane/whatever after it then.

I know it's bad and everything, but am I the only one who really doesn't care?

speaking of names, how do they get the names for them. :wtf:

d'ya know what i was thinking the same thing? is it the person in the weather office who first see's the storm brewing? or do they have a baby name book and randomly pick a name each time ?

they only added male names in some in the 70s or 80s i think, last big male on was Andrew, womens names where all the rage in the 40s kind of stfu bitch, and do the ironing

nope?

I think they initially close female names because of all the damage , destruction and general heartache these things cause. Of course ,I may be lying.

I think they initially close female names because of all the damage , destruction and general heartache these things cause. Of course ,I may be lying.

haha i love it :smile:

For whoever was wondering about the names, they make a list of 21 names (21 because that's the most storms they've had in a year or whatever the time period is they use). These names have to stand out and be easy to remember. Also, they use both male and female names (male, female, male, female, etc.). However, when one of these storms causes death and a lot of destruction, it is taken off the list to never be used again. ='3

They have a cycle of 21 names per year. This is because they figure there cant be more than 21 hurricanes in a year. After 21 names, they use Greek letters. Each hurricane is given a name, and if it is particulary destructive e.g 'Andrew' and 'Katrina' then those names are retired.

http://www.metoffice.co.uk should have more answers.

EDIT: Fixed.

Yup, my mistake.

(CNN) -- Forecasters could run out of names for tropical storms and hurricanes before the season ends November 30.

The Atlantic basin has seen 17 named storms since the season began June 1, and only four are left on the list.

What's a meteorologist to do if the names run out? Go Greek.

Should the Atlantic see more than 21 named storms "additional storms will take names from the Greek alphabet: Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, and so on," according to the National Hurricane Center Web site.

"We only have four names left on the list this year: Stan, Tammy, Vince and Wilma. If we have a fifth storm it would be named Alpha," said Daniel Brown, a meteorologist at the center, which is based in Miami, Florida.

At the beginning of each Atlantic storm season, the center publishes a list of 21 storm names. They alternate male and female names in alphabetical order.

The letters Q, U, X, Y and Z are skipped because not enough names start with those letters, Brown said.

Hurricane Alpha would be a first for the hurricane center.

"There was one year in 1933 we actually had 21 storms. That's been the most in the Atlantic. However, it was before we started naming storms" Brown said.

The National Weather Service started naming storms in 1953 as way to reduce confusion over the latitude-longitude naming method.

In 1979 Atlantic male names were included, putting to an end the practice of naming hurricanes only after women.

What makes a good storm name? According to the National Weather Service, short, distinctive given names work best.

The World Meteorological Organization, a United Nations agency based in Geneva, Switzerland, now maintains lists of names for storm-prone regions around the globe.

For the North Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean Sea and Gulf of Mexico region, the list covers six years and rotates beginning every seventh year.

Names are changed if the storm causes extreme damage and loss of life. Brown said Hurricane Katrina will "absolutely" be retired by the organization.

Andrew, the name of the 1992 hurricane that according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration killed 23 people in south Florida and three in the Bahamas and caused $26.5 billion in damage, likewise has been retired.

jesus watching the news on sky fox and ccn, as my sister is having a kid so sleep is no option, and the force is huge, its just about hit land and all the reporters where on the end of the storm aka the weak part.

Sign in to follow this