NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Wesley

MPs vote on cameras to placed inside people's homes

So I didn't see any threads on these new ID cards that MPs gave the backing to.

I personally don't like it one bit; with things like these once the ball starts to roll it won't stop and people's lives will just be further and further invaded by the government.

I can just see it now, once everyone are eventually forced to have one, then they will push for people using them with all public services. Businesses will then act on it, having to scan it when you are on the train to 'prove your age' (like when people try to get away with child tickets), then your movements could be tracked. I can just see in decades to come everyone have to use their ID cards for everything and basically 1984 becoming a reality as - what seems now to be - ridiculous things will be implemented because as the lines of private lives are moved back you can get away with more imposing things.

It's just a cycle that changes social attitude on one's private lives as we move closer and closer to removing any sense of private.

...what do you guys think?

Although I'm against the principle of these ID cards, and agree that it's very 1984, our details are already in a billion government data bases. Which begs the question, why do we need to bother with them? We should make all new driving licences or passports have the unforgable technology. It seems like a waste of money to me.

They claim it will help against terror, but I'm sure they said passports (as a proof of identify) wouldn't be able to be faked at one point. Anything that you come up with can be faked, people always find a way around things.

And also the data that is on it, irus scans and finger prints; what happens if that isn't enough? So then they ask for proper DNA for DNA information to be on the ID card too, "Even better proof! You can't fake this!"

Hah! Agreed. But seriously, I don't see why they can't just make it so the next generation of passports have this super technology.

I may lobby my MP on this one... Can I be bothered... Hmm.

its all wrong. evrer get the felling that when the west started to war again choice with your rights have gone out the window?

Yes, yesterday. Its going ahead.

I can't see many flaws to this thing. If you haven't done anything bad theres nothing to hide.

Although the whole "stops terrorist" stuff is bull shit, it does mean random people can't walk in and just get free health care if they aren't UK citizens.

Damn daft idea if you ask me. I can't see how it'll help with anything and will be a waste of time. I mean how will it stop terrorism:

"Hello, I would like to apply for an ID card"

"Ok just a few questions, are you a UK citizen?"

"Why yes I am

"Any criminal record?"

"Nope"

"Right, and are you a terrorist"

"Ye... oh shi..I mean no"

I don't reallyknow what you're talking about, but here in Portugal they're talking about a card that puts all cards in one that can be read electronically. I think that's great. Is that what you're talking about?

I don't like these. I just fail to see what they will achieve. It almost just sounds like another new form of identity theft waiting to happen and it will undoubtedly be hugely expensive to implement. I daren't even hazard a guess of what the government will do with the information that could be potentially avaliable to them.

Potentially the government could track your every movement, everything you buy or sell, everyone you meet, every phone call you make or message you write (although they do some of that now).

I know it's all just Orwell-esque conspiracy theories, but for me, the whole thing still doesn't fit. The whole point of ID cards seems to me to be to collect in one place a raft of information of any one indvidual, and that kind of knowledge could award someone immense power and control. I simply don't trust anyone with that kind of power. I'm not willing to take that risk.

Just because the government can do all kinds of things with these ID cards, doesn't mean they will. This isn't the government finding a new way to give themself kicks, the won't be checking up on your average Joe's shopping trip to London.

Yes, yesterday. Its going ahead.

I can't see many flaws to this thing. If you haven't done anything bad theres nothing to hide.

Although the whole "stops terrorist" stuff is bull shit, it does mean random people can't walk in and just get free health care if they aren't UK citizens.

Yeah, I don't really see any major problems with it. They'll only look into things if you've got a criminal record or something and although it's not going to stop all terrorism, it will still do some good.

Potentially the government could track your every movement, everything you buy or sell, everyone you meet, every phone call you make or message you write (although they do some of that now).

Why would you need an ID to make phonecalls or buy stuff? It's not like they even have enough people and other recources to keep track of all this stuff. True, having iris scans on there might seem a bit far fetched, but I guess it's just the next step in all this. I was actually always amazed that the UK didn't really have any ID cards.

Seriously, I don't really see the problem with this...

I don't reallyknow what you're talking about, but here in Portugal they're talking about a card that puts all cards in one that can be read electronically. I think that's great. Is that what you're talking about?

i dont think this is the same as i ahve heard of a similar thing in hong kong

my mate is tryin a simaler system out over hear asap cards

The problem is they are trying to track our every movement. I'm against it firstly because I don't want the government knowing more than they already do and secondly because it will make sod all difference to immigration and terrorism like they say.

In theory, the innocent have nothing to worry about...

But seeing as nobody is innocent, I'm against the idea.

Why would the govt want to know what boring fuckers like us do? Really, anybody who's read or seen any future-world sci-fi stuff should know that all this is inevitable.

Also, the Orwell stuff isn't totally on the dot. In 1984 the (I forget the govt's name) institute wanted to de-humanise every person, like, destroy even their sex drives.

I'm all for ID cards, 'cause like Jord said, if you have nothing to hide, then you've got nothing to fear.

I'm not nescerrly saying that as soon as these ID cards come into force we're all suddenly going to find ourselves wearing grey overalls and sipping Victory gin, but I still do worry. The big scare of George Orwells 1984, as I'm sure many who have read it will testify, is not simply that one day the world could be like that, but that elements of Orwells horrifiying vision already exsist in society across the world. It's a vision which I would like to stay as far away from as possible.

It's true, the government probably won't try anything wildly insidious with it, but that doesn't mean I should trust them with the capability to do so. I will admit that I have varying opinions on the methods deployed by the government to monitor us, but I feel it is a fundemental human right for people to live their lives with a significant degree of anonymity and privacy. I feel that ID cards encroach unnescerrly on that, and I would seriously consider to refuse to carry an ID card if ordered to do so.

as they can already ship you off to quantanamo bay have you tortured and vanish without evidance inocent or not.............why would you want the dodgy fu..ers to no your every move

Thing is, we live in the government's world. They've got all the power, and we can either do what they say and live in a kind of blissful ignorance, or leave.

Or we could vote on it and make the process a lot more drawn out.

Or we could revolt and make a big fucking mess. Which ain't good.

as they can already ship you off to quantanamo bay have you tortured and vanish without evidance inocent or not.............why would you want the dodgy fu..ers to no your every move

What makes you so sure they're dodgy anyway?

i watch the news i read the papers and i no history what else am i supposed to think

their as dodgy as al capone

What makes you so sure they're dodgy anyway?

Those secret torture flights and kidnappings throughout Europe for a start. Stick "CIA kidnap" in the BBC search engine. Scary.

Aah I'm sure they've been doing that for decades anyway and I never worried about it before.

I wouldn't put it past them.

Sign in to follow this