N-Europe

Emio - The Smiling Man: Famicom Detective Club

Dcubed

Maybe they’ll finally put the other FDC games on sale to help promote this?  Hey, I can but hope. I’m keen to play them but my backlog is still so large I need a really good reason to justify buying them…

• 4 weeks later...

Free demo dropping on 20th August (Tuesday) with the opening chapters of the game, and additional chapters being added on 23rd and 28th before the full release on 29th August – and yes, you can carry your progress from the demo over to the full game! 

Lovely stuff! 

Edited by Julius

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Haven't seen one of these in a while... But we have a new Not-Iwata-Asks Ask The Developer interview to go along with this game!

https://www.nintendo.com/en-gb/News/2024/August/Ask-the-Developer-Vol-12-Emio-The-Smiling-Man-Famicom-Detective-Club-Chapter-1-2637237.html

Interestingly, it turns out that the FDC Remakes only happened because MAGES were able to successfully pitch the project to Nintendo with a fully animated prototype, which in turn allowed Sakamoto to pitch a brand new FDC game afterwards (and yes, MAGES have also co-developed Emio).  The possibility of getting a FDC remake or new game greenlit hadn't even crossed Sakamoto's mind until MAGES came hard at Nintendo with their prototype, by some miracle succeeded with their pitch, and opened up the door for Sakamoto to get involved.

Also, the game's co-producer Kaori Miyachi (who was also co-writer alongside Sakamoto) only first played the FDC games for the first time when they came out on the 3DS VC! :D

Edited by Dcubed

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Currently £35 on Amazon for those interested. That's a tenner knocked off the price already.

Do you have to play the other 2 games to understand what's going on in this one or are they are separate thing?

Not played this one yet, but I’d say you don’t need to have played the others.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Currently £35 on Amazon for those interested. That's a tenner knocked off the price already.

Do you have to play the other 2 games to understand what's going on in this one or are they are separate thing?

AFAIK, it’s a standalone story.  So you don’t need to have played the others first.

• Thanks 1

I ended up enjoying the demo and bought the full game from Amazon.

I like how breezy the first 3 chapters have been. They don't overstay their welcome and I hope the rest of the game stays that way.

The story seems very grim at the moment but the game does a good job with sprinkling a few lighter scenes in between the dark ones. Some of the interactions with characters have been quite funny.

I know I've mentioned this before but I appreciate Nintendo actually finishing a game before release. I popped the cartridge in and no update needed. Lovely stuff.

I really need to get some new joycons. I'm constantly having to fight with the cursor when I'm investigating scenes. I managed to play through Wario Ware and Another Code with them being knackered but they seem to be getting worse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It's over and the credits have rolled. What a finale.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952f1f6syegpxjsi5fwmk

I can't be faffed with sorting out spoiler tags so I won't go into the story and ending. I will say that I loved playing through this though. Enjoyed it far more than the Pheonix Wright trilogy that I played a couple of months ago. I found those games to be tedious, whereas this I found to be very compelling and intruiging.

If the other 2 games on the eShop ever get a decent discount then I will certainly pick them up. I could buy some vouchers and get them that way but, with me buying physical when I can, there isn't another game on the list for me to buy.

Anyway, surprisingly there appears to be some post game content. Wasn't expecting that at all. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Post game is done. Wow. Grab the popcorn because there's a cracking bit of viewing that's around half an hour long that wraps up everything. Very well done.

The main game is pretty grim at times but I was wondering why an 18 rating was given. If that didn't warrant the rating then the post game stuff certainly did. Very dark, chilling and gruesome.

It's absolutely nuts that Nintendo is attached to this and admire the balls they had to do it. It's funny, they are pretty much always seen as a kiddy company but this game is probably more adult and better written than most of the Western story driven games that are out there. 

Definitely a high recommendation from me. Great game to snuggle up with on a night and play a few chapters, especially with the Winter nights drawing in.

• Thanks 1