N-Europe

Euro 2024 | 14th June to 14th July

16 minutes ago, Julius said:

2-2 then we'll go through ET and pens :D

3-3? 4-4? France could easily be in the lead yet Spain are still good for it. 

These defences look leaky and Mbappé is yet to really get going. 

2 minutes ago, Julius said:

3-3? 4-4? France could easily be in the lead yet Spain are still good for it. 

These defences look leaky and Mbappé is yet to really get going. 

You're not wrong. France have had a couple of decent openings since Spain scored. Crazy how fragile both defences are.

Great first half, probably the most exciting of the tournament so far. Have my doubts that it'll be outdone in the remaining minutes of the tournament, and have to hope subs are made around the 60' to 70' mark so that this game doesn't become a tired scramble. 

20 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Crazy how fragile both defences are.

Yeah, think I said it earlier in the tournament that defences on the international stage simply aren't what they were a few years ago. While France did great up until tonight they also haven't really faced truly great sides who were testing them up until now. 

Think this has more goals in it. Still think Mbappé is going to have something to say. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Julius said:

have to hope subs are made around the 60' to 70' mark so that this game doesn't become a tired scramble. 

Triple change for France right on cue :D

They're going for it!

Shocked there weren't any more goals, but it just never quite fell the right way for France. Mbappé still doesn't have a goal from open play across two Euros now, compared to the 12 goals he has in two World Cups. Barmy, but pretty much the same happened to Müller. 

Well deserved from Spain, been my favourite team to watch from the start of the tournament – they set the mark early on, and no-one else has really come close. 

Curious to see if Deschamps sticks around now. One last dance at the World Cup? Because we all know Zidane is seemingly up next. 

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Well, that fizzled out after the explosive first half. Still, some of the passing by Spain was great to watch and if England do somehow beat the Dutch, Spain should make short work of them in the final.

Yeah, unfortunately even with the subs France made at the right time to keep the pace up, taking Kanté off - even 60+ minutes in - basically resets you to 11 men, even with him at an advanced stage of his career. Spain didn't seem interested in a third and more in game management, and it's hard to blame them with the result they ended up with – Williams must be livid, though, thinking he had a few chances to run at tired French fullbacks before late on. 

I think on paper Spain make short work of either England or the Netherlands in the final, but it's never quite that simple. Both teams have had to ride their luck at points to get this far, whereas Spain haven't really had to, but that's the sort of intangible which can win you tournaments. On the other hand, Spain get their first choice CB and first choice RB back after the suspensions served in this match with Le Normand and Carvajal. 

8 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Oh, and awful tournament for Mbappe. Dude never really got off the starting blocks.

Think that nose injury early on clearly had a massive impact on his tournament. It's no excuse, but I think it's certainly a factor, and also highlights to me that Ancelotti is going to have an interesting job of trying to find the right place for him in the Madrid attack this coming season, because he's both France's best LW and ST which means he hasn't really been able to settle into one position, whereas in past tournaments where he's had success he's been playing off Giroud. 

Either way, you can guarantee he lights up the next World Cup. 

• Like 1

Not sure if I'm going to watch this...

Yesterday's match dropped off really quickly and never recovered...and the teams playing later don't fill me with confidence that they'll put on a better performance :p

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Welp, that was a banger

Easy Goal of the Tournament contender. 

Serves us right for going with a high press for a change :p that's our 5 minutes done for today, time to sit back and wait until the last 10. 

In all seriousness, this is what happens when your tactics fluctuate so much throughout a match. You can't just save something like a high-press until the last 10/15 of each match and expect everyone to know what they're doing when a high-press crumbles the one time you're trying to use it from the start against quality opponents. No-one knew what they were doing. 

Edited by Julius

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

At least we cant sit back and actually have to play.

Just saying this to mate

It's better for us to be chasing than to be leading most of the time, because we're absolutely useless at holding onto an advantage

Just before the goal was the perfect example of why Trippier can’t play wing back. Saka stole the ball and had to try and hold on for it with no support for ages, the entire left side was wide open but Trippier nowhere to be seen.

Is Luke Shaw fit enough for 75 minutes?

Just now, Eddage said:

Just before the goal was the perfect example of why Trippier can’t play wing back. Saka stole the ball and had to try and hold on for it with no support for ages, the entire left side was wide open but Trippier nowhere to be seen.

Absolutely. 

I was left going "come on Saka, release...wait, where's Trippier?" :laughing:

1 minute ago, Eddage said:

Is Luke Shaw fit enough for 75 minutes?

This is Southgate

He's saving that change for after the 75th minute :p