NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dcubed

Pokémon Presents 27/02/2024 @ 14:00 GMT

Whelp! Guess that confirms that the rumours about the Nintendo Partner Direct getting pushed back to make room for the Xbox Obituary were true :D

Ain’t no way that they originally planned to have two separate Direct events within a week of each other.

Dare I hope for a new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon? Or is it time for the Black & White remake perhaps?

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thinking about this I'm really having a tricky time about thinking about what they could come out with of any substance. I mean, there will probably be 1-2 new Pokémon for Unite, something for Masters EX, there was a recent tweet about new Concierge episodes, so probably more information on that.

Maybe some more added stuff to the DLC for Scarlet/Violet on top of the starters update.

Black and White remake would be the next step on the pattern, which wouldn't be a bad thing.

Fingers crossed as always for a new Ranger game.

TBH, I don’t think we’ll be getting a new PKMD announced here, since Chunsoft only just released Shiren The Wanderer 6 around a month ago in Japan; so it’s too early for the mystery dungeon team to pump out another HD game.

Pokemon B/W remakes here are quite possible though, as are seeing Gens 1-3 arrive on NSO.

Give me a GBA main series game or give me death! 

But seriously, give me a way to play the GBA main series games already. This is quickly turning into a Final Fantasy remaster situation, don't do this to me TPCi :cry:

15 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Or is it time for the Black & White remake perhaps?

I've said it before, but I'm really interested in seeing how they handle revisiting Gen V after their odd-at-best handling of revisiting Gen IV.

Do you: 

• remake only BW? Is that a Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl low effort remake situation, or do they go back to bringing remakes up to the "standard" of the current games? 

• revisit BW2 as well at some point? Gen V is unique in that it's the only generation with a truly direct story sequel (and in the same gen, to boot). If you do revisit it too - well, how does BW2 factor into the remake plans? Do we see a weird split of resources and a third party coming in for the BW remake and GF (or someone else) handling a BW2 remake? Do we get BW this year and BW2 in a few more? 

• forget remaking BW and BW2 and instead make a BW3 or an alternative third Unova-based game? I feel like this would be an interesting route to take in order to get around revisiting both BW and BW2. 

• make a Pokémon Legends game? Kyurem, Reshiram and Zekrom certainly have the backstory for it, as does the Unova region as a whole. 

Whatever they do, I'm honestly not really sure how remakes get handled beyond Gen V, because while I'd argue that some later Gens probably need to be revisited with remakes/whatever more than Gen V does (Gen VI has its positives, but is also a severely undercooked experience), we arrive at a point of limited returns where perhaps resources would be best directed elsewhere, because we're then in the position of remaking the already 3D* (*kind of) games territory.

I could see a return to Johto being on the cards at some point - even if it's "just" a Let's Go title - simply because we haven't gone back to Johto since 2009 (JP)/2010 (rest of the world), and we're arguably due a return to Johto more than we are Unova - based purely on the number of years it's been since we last took a trip there (BW was 2010 in JP and 2011 in the rest of the world). 

Honestly, thinking about it a little more, if they do plan to do more than "just" a BW remake - so a BW2 remake or something like a Legends game in addition to a BW remake - I wouldn't be totally shocked if we see a return to Johto first, simply as a way for them to bide time on whatever Unova plans they have cooking up. Some might say this is jumping the gun and skipping over Unova before going to Johto, but not only are we most overdue to revisit Johto as I said before, the Let's Go titles set a precedent for this when we returned to Kanto before Sinnoh (which was next in line for a remake at the time), and the gap between FireRed/LeafGreen (2004) and Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee (2018) is 14 years, actually a shorter time between the nearly 15 years it's been since HeartGold/SoulSilver first released in Japan (2009) and now.

I think it would need more time in the oven than Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl got, but I think I'd prefer an ILCA Johto remake to a Let's Go title, janky as their first attempt was I get what they were going for, as I don't think they were given an appropriate timescale or budget. 

So yeah, while guessing what Game Freak/TPCi are going to do next based on patterns is a fruitless endeavour, I think there's definitely small a chance that we see Johto games next.

You can then time Gen X as being cross-gen at the end of next year, and do the same for whatever Unova plans they have, too, before Gen XI is then Switch 2 exclusive in 2027. Maybe. I struggle to see GF pushing a Pokémon game hard enough that it wouldn't also feasibly run on the base Switch if it were in someone else's hands, not to mention the potential audience you'd be leaving behind! 

1 hour ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Fingers crossed as always for a new Ranger game.

As ever, I respect the hustle :laughing: honestly I'd gladly take ports of the existing Ranger trilogy or even a remake of the first game. I love the Ranger games, definitely won't be without a bit of tweaking to get the series on Switch, though. 

• Thanks 1

If they do a B/W remake, I’d imagine that B2/W2 would be included as a DLC expansion.  Easily doable since it reuses 95% of the original game’s map.

A friend pointed out there's a Pokémon event (marketed as a Go) event taking place at the Empire State Building and Black and White is a homage(?) to New York. 

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

If they do a B/W remake, I’d imagine that B2/W2 would be included as a DLC expansion. 

Man, I'm not too sure, unless it's something like the Delta Episode and the sequel content is split up and/or heavily edited down with some huge changes to the story, considering you'd be the same playable character, you'd need to skip the time skip (or enter some portal or something to skip into the future?), bringing over select side activities like PWT and Pokéstar Studios, and so on.

I can't see many being happy about it if it's handled that way, because it would fly in the face of BW2 being sequels in the first place. But I do think I agree with you that, unfortunately, DLC does seem the smarter route to go. Not sure how it would be priced if it were more like the full BW2 experience (because if it were then it'd just be its own game and at full price), so yeah, maybe heavily edited down sequel content as DLC. 

Man, that'd suck. 

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Easily doable since it reuses 95% of the original game’s map.

Looks over at Tears of the Kingdom

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952fivegdgvf4kmcr1uug

3 hours ago, Julius said:

So yeah, while guessing what Game Freak/TPCi are going to do next based on patterns is a fruitless endeavour, I think there's definitely small a chance that we see Johto games next.

I disagree.

They didn't haphazardly set the second DLC of Scarlet/Violet in "Unova" for giggles. Unova's next.

You know what though? I'd be willing to give a Legends style game another chance. They'd have to tweak a few things though.

- Get rid of of the open areas nonsense. Don't need it now that the mainline games are open world.

- Make me catch Pokémon through battling them. Give my Pokémon some reason to contribute! It's not remotely satisfying just chucking a ball at them and moving on. Make me work for it! If I want to catch thousands of Shinx, I'll play Pokémon Go, which I won't. Because it's crap.

- No-one likes gathering hundreds of crap to craft stuff. Boring busywork. And while we're getting rid of boring busywork, have the corresponding Pokédex entry fill in completely once I catch a Pokémon. Don't make me use Tackle 40 times to get halfway there.

- Use the old battle system. It's not broken, don't try to fix it.

They can keep those action segments where you have to dodge a boss's attacks in real time before using an opening to switch to turn based and dealing loads of damage. Those were legit great!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I disagree.

They didn't haphazardly set the second DLC of Scarlet/Violet in "Unova" for giggles. Unova's next.

You know what though? I'd be willing to give a Legends style game another chance. They'd have to tweak a few things though.

- Get rid of of the open areas nonsense. Don't need it now that the mainline games are open world.

- Make me catch Pokémon through battling them. Give my Pokémon some reason to contribute! It's not remotely satisfying just chucking a ball at them and moving on. Make me work for it! If I want to catch thousands of Shiny, I'll play Pokémon Go, which I won't. Because it's crap.

- No-one likes gathering hundreds of crap to craft stuff. Boring busywork. And while we're getting rid of boring busywork, have the corresponding Pokédex entry fill in completely once I catch a Pokémon. Don't make me use Tackle 40 times to get halfway there.

- Use the old battle system. It's not broken, don't try to fix it.

They can keep those action segments where you have to dodge a boss's attacks in real time before using an opening to switch to turn based and dealing loads of damage. Those were legit great!

So basically you want it just like the other games? Personally, I'd rather they keep things as they were in the original Legends game. If people want them to be like the mainline games then people can play those. There's certainly room for both. I found Legends to be a refreshing change to a tired and formulaic series. 

2 hours ago, Julius said:

I could see a return to Johto being on the cards at some point - even if it's "just" a Let's Go title - simply because we haven't gone back to Johto since 2009 (JP)/2010 (rest of the world), and we're arguably due a return to Johto more than we are Unova - based purely on the number of years it's been since we last took a trip there (BW was 2010 in JP and 2011 in the rest of the world). 

I've been waiting for this for too long. I loved the Let's Go games and would love Game Freak to continue with that series.

19 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

So basically you want it just like the other games?

Yeah, you get it!

I was mostly joking, I would never buy another Legends game, but I'm not budging on the battle system in Legends being utter crap.

Because it is, it's awful!

And also, I don't like Legends, Let's Go, or the direction the mainline games is taking, so what am I gonna do? Get stuffed, I guess?

EDIT: Anyway word of general warning. Pokémon Presents is about the entire franchise, not just the mainline games. Expect a whole load of mobile game tat, and certainly no guarantee of a mainline game.

Edited by Glen-i

23 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I disagree.

Again: "small chance." 

Realistically, I do agree and think that it's Unova next, but it wouldn't be the first time they've done things in a weird order, regardless of teases. This is obviously the most direct and extreme example with the Scarlet & Violet DLC being set there (well, with one location crossing over and then just a bunch of winks and nods, from what I understand), but I wouldn't ever be 100% confident going into a potential reveal about what we're going to get from them. Since the move to the Switch they've definitely been open to stranger things than this, what with the Let's Go games and Legends: Arceus existing, how they handle remakes really seems to be up in the air and the order doesn't seem to be something they care about too much. 

14 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

So basically you want it just like the other games? Personally, I'd rather they keep things as they were in the original Legends game. If people want them to be like the mainline games then people can play those. There's certainly room for both. I found Legends to be a refreshing change to a tired and formulaic series. 

I was also a big fan of Legends, definitely felt like an experimental injection of fresh ideas, even if some were half-baked, there are definitely lessons to be taken. Given the period a Legends game in Unova would likely take place (either before or during the civil war) there are definitely plenty of opportunities to play on some of the concepts we saw in the first Legends game, too. 

I quite liked the zones, to be honest. They felt pretty focused thematically, had great, clear ties to the modern day version of region they were set in, and felt just big enough to explore and hunt for Pokémon while not being so big that it felt largely aimless. 

17 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I've been waiting for this for too long. I loved the Let's Go games and would love Game Freak to continue with that series.

I still haven't played my copy (my brother has been borrowing it for a long time), but so long as the Pokéathlon returns in some form, I'd gladly check out Let's Go games in Johto (or a breezy ILCA remake of HeartGold/SoulSilver just with more budget and more time). Just please don't make it a weaker version of the Johto games we already have, that's all I ask! Give me Pokéathlon or give me death! 

I actually liked that Legends let you complete the Dex through different play styles/interests. Been a few years but I seem to recall you could complete them through battles, catching and other stuff so it adds some variety that may be more aligned with your preferred play style. 

50 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Pokémon Concierge: The Game would at least be a start.

That mini-series was very good.

Then again, I'm a sucker for stop-motion animation.

I also don't trust that hypothetical game to not end up being a microtransactions labeled mess...

1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

Pokémon Concierge: The Game would at least be a start.

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

That mini-series was very good.

Then again, I'm a sucker for stop-motion animation.

They actually announced more episodes of the show being in production just yesterday! 

Kind of strange in hindsight that they didn't save it for the Presents, so I wonder if it'll get a bit of lip service next week? 

• Thanks 1

pokemonpresents270224banner.620x0.webp

Pokémon Presents Airs February 27th

I'm calling it... Pokémon Green remake with a choice of two grass starters. :p

Go on @Glen-i tell me why it won't happen. ;)

Thanks to @Josh64 for the article. :peace:

- - - - -

Video related...

Spoiler

Edited by S.C.G
  • Haha 1

The countdown is on.

I recommend Rilakkuma.

They could do something like a Pokémon Pikmin game—the names have always been close enough. Could be good in the unlikely event time and care was put into it. A game that's complete in its own right and they can cross-promote between the phone apps for monetisation.

Really the only thing I expect from this Presents is something that gets my attention in Unite then when I try to unlock it, it takes too much time to do for free and that's me off that game for another year until it happens again.

22 hours ago, Julius said:

I could see a return to Johto being on the cards at some point - even if it's "just" a Let's Go title -

I think I'd prefer an ILCA Johto remake to a Let's Go title, janky as their first attempt was I get what they were going for, as I don't think they were given an appropriate timescale or budget. 

Wash your fucking mouth out right now.

19 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You wash your fucking mouth out right now too!

18 hours ago, Julius said:

I still haven't played my copy 

H'WHAT?! You want something but you haven't played the former incarnation?! Wash your fucking mouth out thrice more times for your absolute cheek.

The Let's Go games were just dull. The Safari Zone had its appeal as it was a small niche area. Spreading that concept across the whole region sucked the excitement, and the challenge, out of everything.

• Haha 2

At least he’s being honest about not being confident in his source here.

At this point, it’s safe to say that Pyoro’s info (however it’s sourced) is typically legit.  So I’m inclined to believe what he says, and wouldn’t hold a lack of a B/W remake against him if this second hand info turns out to be bunk.

Happy Pokémon Day, trainers. Here are the Pokémon Presents 🎁 : 
- Scarlet and Violet Tera Raid Battle Events
- Go x Horizons (cartoon) collaboration. 
- Sleep getting Entei and the other two legendary dogs
- Masters Ex characters and photo mode
- Café receiving Scarlet and Violet Pokémon
- UNITE getting Miraidon, Phalinx, Ceruledge
- Trading Card Game Pocket on mobile phones ("immersive")
- Pokémon Legends (2025)

Wait... WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED!?

POKEMON Z IS ALIVE!?!?!? AND FUCKING MEGA EVOLUTIONS ARE BACK!?!?!

I DIDN'T HAVE THIS ON MY BINGO CARD!!!!

Edited by Dcubed

On 27/02/2024 at 2:14 PM, Dcubed said:

Wait... WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED!?

POKEMON Z IS ALIVE!?!?!? AND FUCKING MEGA EVOLUTIONS ARE BACK!?!?!

I DIDN'T HAVE THIS ON MY BINGO CARD!!!!

This has the makings of a Monkey's Paw written all over it.

I am not gonna get excited for this game. They need to do more then bring Megas back to get me on board at this point.

Sign in to follow this