NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Felix the Cat (28th March 2024), Rocket Knight Adventures (2024) collections coming, physical via Limited Run

rocket-knight-adventure-resparked-limite

From Polygon:

Konami, which is digging into its back catalog in a major way in 2024, is re-issuing a handful of classic platformers from the 8-bit and 16-bit eras with the help of Limited Run Games. Two collections, one focused on Felix the Cat and another on Rocket Knight, will arrive this year on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, and Nintendo Switch.

The Felix the Cat collection will include the eponymous NES and Game Boy games released by Hudson Soft in 1992 and 1993, respectively. Felix the Cat for NES was released late in that console's lifespan, and now commands a relatively high price — around $300 for a complete copy, according to price-tracking website Price Charting. The Game Boy version has gone for twice that amount.

Felix's side-scrolling platformers will be released digitally by Konami and in physical form by Limited Run Games. The two 8-bit era games will run on Limited Run's Carbon Engine, and feature save states and "other quality-of-life fixes," Konami said in a news release.

Konami and Limited Run will also release the Rocket Knight Adventures: Re-Sparked collection together, which will include Rocket Knight Adventures (Sega Genesis), Sparkster: Rocket Knight Adventures 2 (Sega Genesis), and Sparkster (Super NES). The Re-Sparked collection promises a new animated intro, rewind features, a boss rush mode, and a museum featuring never-before-seen content, Konami said. Similar to the Felix the Cat collection, the Rocket Knight collection will be released for PS4, PS5, and Switch.

More Carbon Engine re-releases are planned, Konami said. Another collection will be announced on Feb. 24.

Pre-orders for Limited Run Games' physical editions of Felix the Cat will begin on Feb. 9 and run through March 10. Pre-orders for Rocket Knight Adventures: Re-Sparked open on Jan. 19 and end March 3.

I don't know who decided to wake up at Konami over the last couple of years, but damn, this is shaping up to be one hell of a window we're in now for their back catalogue. 

Suikoden I + II, Silent Hill 2 Remake, Metal Gear Solid Δ: Snake Eater, and now this all seemingly taking aim at 2024 releases, after recently releasing the Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Vol. 1 (to mixed reception, but it's being patched, which is...something?). And a new announcement for another Carbon Engine collab with LRG a month and a half from now. 

Did we swap timelines? 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Amazing! I loved Rocket Knight Adventures but never got to play Sparkster.

Just a shame Limited Run have got these. :(

• Thanks 1

HOLY SHIT!!! IT FINALLY HAPPENED!!

Fucking hell! I’ve been waiting since the bloody Wii Virtual Console to get my hands on the Rocket Knight games!

What the hell made Konami suddenly see sense!? Whatever it is, I’m damn well grateful! Bring on the Sparkster! :bouncy:

I didn't even know Felix the Cat had games!

But yeah, this is a nice rerelease to see. To be honest, I didn't even know Rocket Knight Adventures had 3 different games! I thought it was just the one Mega Drive game :heh:

6 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

But yeah, this is a nice rerelease to see. To be honest, I didn't even know Rocket Knight Adventures had 3 different games! I thought it was just the one Mega Drive game :heh:

I've never played them, and even I know that there was a SNES one as well.

Didn't realise there was a second Mega Drive one though.

Do Limited Run games also release on the eShop or are they physical only?

Sorry if that's a dumb question lol but I haven't had any experience with them and heard MONTHS ago that Plumbers Don't Wear Ties was released but I can't find it on the eShop. 

1 hour ago, Josh64 said:

Do Limited Run games also release on the eShop or are they physical only?

Sorry if that's a dumb question lol but I haven't had any experience with them and heard MONTHS ago that Plumbers Don't Wear Ties was released but I can't find it on the eShop. 

Their original shtick is making physical versions of originally digital games.

Recently, they've been using their Carbon Engine to bring retro games to modern platforms. They usually release the digital version a few months later.

The digital version of Plumbers Don't Wear Ties got delayed to March 5th, according to the Twitter account. So don't worry, Rocket Knight Adventures will come to eShop eventually.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Their original shtick is making physical versions of originally digital games.

Recently, they've been using their Carbon Engine to bring retro games to modern platforms. They usually release the digital version a few months later.

The digital version of Plumbers Don't Wear Ties got delayed to March 5th, according to the Twitter account. So don't worry, Rocket Knight Adventures will come to eShop eventually.

Thank you!!

Felix the Cat drops March 28th!

And Rocket Knight Adventures: Re-Sparked is coming...sometime in 2024?

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this