NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
darksnowman

Football Season 2023/24

21 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Well Liverpool v Man U was incredibly frustrating...

I knocked it off at half time. Proper boring match.

Boxing Day.

It's holiday over here, literally nothing is happening and you people on your weird little island are holding matches.

Fine by me. I'm at home and gonna have Sky running on my second monitor while playing video games on the other one :D

56 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Boxing Day.

It's holiday over here, literally nothing is happening and you people on your weird little island are holding matches.

Fine by me. I'm at home and gonna have Sky running on my second monitor while playing video games on the other one :D

Yeah, it's traditional to have the footy on Boxing Day. Amazon have them all on today. Watching the Toon at the moment the Liverpool later on.

• Like 1

Arbroath’s back-up keeper comes on as substitute striker and scores screamer

• Ali Adams scores from 25 yards as side fight to draw at Raith
  • Player was making his league debut, on as a makeshift forward

The Arbroath goalkeeper Ali Adams came off the bench as a makeshift striker and scored a superb long-range goal to help his side roar back to a 2-2 draw at the Scottish Championship leaders, Raith Rovers.

Raith, looking to extend an 11-match unbeaten run, took the lead in the 34th minute when Dylan Easton finished off a quick passing move. Jack Hamilton looked to have put the game beyond the relegation-battling visitors when he headed in a second on the hour.

The Red Lichties, though, mounted a superb fightback in the closing stages, sparked by a fine effort from Adams. The 32-year-old goalkeeper had been sent on for his league debut just before the hour mark, but as an outfield player to replace the injured defender Aaron Steele after the visitors – with only four players named on the bench – had used up all their other substitutes.

With 15 minutes left, the ball dropped to Adams around 25 yards out – and he spun to crash a half-volley soaring over the Rovers keeper Maciej Dabrowski and into the top corner. Arbroath then earned a point when Leighton McIntosh slotted in a penalty in the 81st minute following a handball by Scott Brown.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/dec/30/arbroath-back-up-goalkeeper-ali-adams-substitute-striker-scores-screamer-raith

Saw this doing the rounds. Not bad when your no.2 keeper has this sort of finish in his locker!

• Haha 1

Goal disallowed, pen missed (awful pen), top of the league vs a team in dire form...this has the Toon winning all over it.

Very hard game but happy with the result. The amount of chances Arsenal had but didn't convert were crazy. Lads played really well to soak up all that pressure.

9 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

So much going on with Reading, Forest, Everton but really, lol @ Hendo.

Just reading about Hendo now. Didn't realise they have terminated his contract. Dude has really cocked up.

Leg bender on Diaz. Play went on, VAR check cleared. Not even so much as a freekick given. 

19 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Leg bender on Diaz. Play went on, VAR check cleared. Not even so much as a freekick given. 

Standard. It was an awful challenge and should have been at least a yellow.

This is the what I heard the audio of on the radio.

Apparently the higher-ups have known since November.

28 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Oh shit, wasn't expecting that

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Gutted. :( 

Klopp hugs all round. :hug: 

• Thanks 1

Lot of the comment I'm seeing from Liverpool fans at the moment are that they're hoping Alonso will replace him. Not many calls for Gerrard.

3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Lot of the comment I'm seeing from Liverpool fans at the moment are that they're hoping Alonso will replace him. Not many calls for Gerrard.

Silver lining that they kept the news under their hats until Gerrard extended his contract at Al-Ettifaq. 

It's been said that Alonso has some sort of gentleman's agreement with Leverkusen that they won't stand in his way if a big club comes in. Likely as good an option as any but I don't want to jump ahead and think about what comes next yet. Could just as easy be LFC back in the doldrums. 

Gutted for you Liverpool fans, always loved Klopp's energy, but I don't blame him for wanting to step away now that he feels that's waning. Kudos to the higher-ups for not pushing him to stay until the end of his contract, burnout is a nasty thing. 

19 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Gerrard is done as a manager after every decision he's made since Rangers. 

Alonso is a weird one, in that he's doing absolutely amazing at Leverkusen and he's one of those guys where him becoming a manager at the top level always made sense with the way he carried himself on the pitch, so I'm not surprised by the results he's got and his team leading the Bundesliga...but he's not even had a full season (and by this I mean from beginning to end) managing at the top level yet.

I don't doubt that he's the real deal and could do great at Liverpool, but I think the timing is going to be key. It's difficult because if this were a decade ago I'd say that Liverpool should hire someone purely for next season to stave off Klopp comparisons, get things in place, etc., because Xabi is a young manager and could be at the club for 5+ years given good results (if he does go the only way I see him leaving is doing what he wants to in England and then going back to Real), but as always, those first few months will be vital. It's become increasingly rare to see someone replace a long-standing manager and actually succeed, so we'll see. 

I think he's the best option available right now, though. Seems to have that focus on players as individuals to the same extent as Klopp, just with a different energy, which I think could help tone down the comparisons. 

Edited by Julius

Don't take Alonso away from Germany :p
He's been great and I want him to stay in the Bundesliga!

Never liked Klopp, so this news doesn't faze me at all.

Please hire Gerrard, that would be hilarious - one of the worst managers Villa ever had

11 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Please hire Gerrard

I second this notion. Any resistance? No? 

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b95271wsq64x90q517x9p

Cool, Gerrard to Liverpool it is :p

Spoiler

sorry guys but it's not like Boehly is working out for us, so I need to wish the worst for the rest of you to pray we make Top 10 at this point, I'm sure you can understand

Easily the worst Liverpool performance I've watched this season. Arsenal throughly deserved the win.

VVD gave them all 3 goals. Dude was well out of position for the first, confusion with the keeper for the second and deflection for the third. I was also sick of Macallister's mentality of punting the ball at every opportunity in the hopes it would go in.

It's now City's title to lose.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

You could see from the start that Trent's return put them off kilter at the back. It was all too casual.

Klopp's Kids have done it again. They gave a fantastic performance against Luton in the midweek game but I wasn't expecting them to be able to overcome Chelsea and lift the cup.

Our team has been decimated in recent weeks and the youth of the squad have really stepped up and played their part. How long will they be able to keep this up? Who knows but im proud of what they've done over the past couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this