N-Europe

Contra: Operation Galuga (Early 2024)

Julius

Konami and WayForward teaming up for this Contra reimagining is not what I was expecting! 

The legendary Contra series is back! Contra: Operation Galuga is a thorough reimagining of the classic run-'n-gun action game from the '80s, featuring modern graphics and sound, new stages, new enemies and bosses, new play mechanics, an updated weapons system, and explosive co-op combat for up to two players in Story Mode or four players in Arcade Mode!

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Contra veterans will recognize this one! When the action heats up, this symphonic version of the classic @ContraSoldier tune kicks in, letting you know that, without a doubt, Contra has arrived! #Contra: Operation Galuga hits consoles and PC in early 2024!

Yup, that sounds Probotectory.

More info here: https://www.konami.com/games/contra/og/us/en/

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Reading some impressions from people who have played the demo on Switch and its sounding pretty rough in comparison to other versions. Apparently it's running at 30fps, @Dcubed.

Really? Fucking hell...

Sigh... another one that I'll have to play on PC instead then.  Come on Nintendo! Get Switch 2 out already FFS!

1 minute ago, Dcubed said:

Really? Fucking hell...

Sigh... another one that I'll have to play on PC instead then.  Come on Nintendo! Get Switch 2 out already FFS!

Yeah, the game's kind of a mess on Switch -- both docked and portable. The 30fps might be tolerable if it was stable, but there seems to be a LOT of frame pacing issues, and quite a bit of hitching and input lag that can definitely hinder you -- not great for a precision, twitch-based game such as this.

• Sad 1

Demo gives you the first level. It feels decent enough!

Otherwise, it looks cheap, I ducked and fell through the ground to my death at one point (couldn't replicate) and the music cut out during a stretch when I replayed it with a different character. Don't think silence was their perk. Seems to chug momentarily in the same spots too. Can't see the graphics getting a touch-up but the other stuff needs ironed out.

I flubbed a few times and thought it was down to me, but seeing input lag mentioned above, I'm gonna use that as my excuse.

• 3 weeks later...

Reviews are out and it looks like the Switch version is pretty rough, which makes sense given the state of the demo. Nintendo Life are usually pretty positive but they had this to say.

• The Switch version's frame rate is really rough, and requires determination to look past.
  • Lag is chronic and fluctuates with the frame rate, and various glitches remain present.
  • Handheld mode suffers from tiny character renders that make it difficult to follow the action.

Definitely looks like it's worth picking this up on another platform if you have one available to you.

• Thanks 1