N-Europe

Marvel's Phase 6

Julius

Phase6.jpg

Phase Six of the MCU was also announced at SDCC 2022, and is planned to start with the Fantastic Four in November 2024 and end with a double hitter of Avengers: The Kang Dynasty and Avengers: Secret Wars in 2025. I'd like to imagine this will be the phase where the X-Men finally sneak a film onto one of these slates, but we'll have to wait and see. 

Mo Marvel Mo Money :p

The Hollywood Reporter are reporting that Destin Daniel Cretton (the director of Shang-Chi) will be directing Avengers: The Kang Dynasty. 

Hell of a jump if true, but if there's anyone that knows the people on these films and if they're up to the challenge of tackling an Avengers film, it's going to be Feige!

• 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, bob said:

That's some odd casting...is Galactus going to be CGI and he'll do the voice? In a Yorkshire accent?!

Yeah, I imagine he'll be CGI.

I hope it's just a small role that leads to something bigger. I really don't want them to shoehorn Galactus into a single movie. He's a major villain and it the confrontation needs to be built up to, just like what was done with Thanos. It's the same for Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix in the X-Men. Pushing these big characters into a single movie does them a disservice.

• 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Glad they got the recast out of the way ASAP. 

Looks...fine? I'm finding it really hard to get hyped for many MCU projects these days, we've had it a few too many times in the last few years where a solid trailer results in a bang average film or worse, so... ::shrug:

Hope it turns out well, but I'm not holding my breath. What I'm really not looking forward to just how toxic conversation is going to get around having a black Captain America with his own film, probably going to be much louder than it usually is with that corner of the internet what with the US elections and the run-in taking us up pretty much until this releases. 

I've still enjoyed most of the movies we've had recently but on a much more basic level than I was before and I don't necessarily go out of my way to make sure I see them as soon as I can. I'll see this when it comes to Disney Plus but it was a poor trailer, only really saved by one moment.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I've still enjoyed most of the movies we've had recently but on a much more basic level than I was before and I don't necessarily go out of my way to make sure I see them as soon as I can. I'll see this when it comes to Disney Plus but it was a poor trailer, only really saved by one moment.

Yeah, this is me as well. Still be day 1 for Deadpool and Wolverine though but this I'm happy to wait it out. Happy with the tease at the very end. :D

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, this is me as well. Still be day 1 for Deadpool and Wolverine though but this I'm happy to wait it out. Happy with the tease at the very end. :D

Yeah I'm a lot more interested in Deadpool & Wolverine. I'll see what I feel like doing when that comes out. I just don't really go to the cinema anymore. Think I've been twice since covid.

14 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Yeah I'm a lot more interested in Deadpool & Wolverine. I'll see what I feel like doing when that comes out. I just don't really go to the cinema anymore. Think I've been twice since covid.

This is a common theme up and down the country. The cinema scene never really recovered after the pandemic. One time people would go just as a night out but now it seems it has to be a big movie event for everyone to show up. I'm the same. I used to go straight after work to watch whatever but the last time I went was to see the second Dr.Strange film.

I think the streaming services have cut into the audience as well. A lot of movies go to things like Amazon and Sky pretty quickly to buy or rent. May as well just watch something in the comfort of your own home if the price of renting is the same or cheaper than a cinema ticket.

• Like 1

The Russo Bros. are reportedly in talks to direct the next two Avengers movies. 

Obligatory:

5032f476547609cee84707609db7db02ae2d7411

If I'm remembering correctly they showed interest in returning for Secret Wars before, and they've shown that they can manage a huge cast, though I don't know if the characters introduced since Endgame have been fleshed out nearly enough for them to be fully realised in an Avengers film and actually gel. Their careers haven't exactly been propelled to new heights following the release of Endgame – seems like a good move both for them and for Marvel (who really need to get fans on-side at this point). 

6 minutes ago, Julius said:

If I'm remembering correctly they showed interest in returning for Secret Wars before, and they've shown that they can manage a huge cast, though I don't know if the characters introduced since Endgame have been fleshed out nearly enough for them to be fully realised in an Avengers film and actually gel. Their careers haven't exactly been propelled to new heights following the release of Endgame – seems like a good move both for them and for Marvel (who really need to get fans on-side at this point). 

I'm not sure if many of them will even return. The story has become such a mess it's hard to work of who are the main players that will be part of the new line up and who will be cast aside due to the shakeup that's happening.

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm not sure if many of them will even return. The story has become such a mess it's hard to work of who are the main players that will be part of the new line up and who will be cast aside due to the shakeup that's happening.

While I do think there are a couple of faces that could return (Shang-Chi and Kate Bishop come to mind), I do completely agree – Phase 4 felt like it was supposed to be an epilogue of sorts to the Infinity Saga (pull the team apart, focus in on how certain individuals react, etc.), but they've basically torn apart that team as much as they possibly could, and now we're some 5+ films/2 years away from the next Avengers film and I don't get where they're going with it. 

What makes it far worse for me is how we haven't even seen Shang-Chi and Kate in years on the screen at this point? Kind of crazy that at the moment the next two Avengers films are looking like they'll be playing off Infinity Saga nostalgia more than any of the 8+ year build-up it will have had at that point. 

::shrug:

I think they'll have plenty of people for the next Avenger's films. They've already got a lot of established characters still kicking about that can return, new characters already introduce and characters scheduled before Avengers..

From previous Avengers films...
Spider-man
Hulk
Thor
Hawkeye
Doctor Strange
Captain America (Sam Wilson)
Wong
Antman
Starlord
Captain Marvel
Loki
Black Panther (Shuri)

Already introduced in Phase 4/5...
Shang Chi
America Chavez
Kate Bishop
Stature (Cassie Lang)
Photon (Maria Rambeau)
Ms. Marvel
She-Hulk

Will be introduced before next Avengers...
Deadpool (already known from Fox Universe)
Wolverine (already known from Fox Universe)
Falcon (Joaquín Torres, was in Falcon and the Winter Soldier but will be properly introduced as new Falcon in Brave New World)
Daredevil (already known from Netflix shows, Born Again releases before)
Fantastic 4
Blade (lol)

And that's just focusing on the heros, we're going to get a collection of bad guys appearing as well. So I think there's just as many new characters that can be used as there are characters from the previous Avengers films. Then with it being Secret Wars we can expect multiverse versions of characters. So we'll probably have more than one Spider-man, some of the old X-Men (other than Wolverine), etc that are already established in their own universes. Honestly I think there's too many characters to choose from!

The only thing missing for me at the moment is that we haven't been building up to the antagonist of these films, or at least we had been but then Jonathon Majors screwed all that up! So it might be that Dr Doom is hastily introduced in the Fantsatic 4 and then he creates Battleworld for the Secret Wars films.  

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I had a feeling there may have been some spoilers and so avoided watching it, especially this close to release.

Marvel has a habit of doing this with their trailers.:(

I honestly thought Ryan Reynolds would be the one person I could trust. Especially with the trailer being on his channel. Obviously Disney can do what they like, but Reynolds definitely has some pretty serious power when it comes to the Deadpool movies.

Some people may not care about the spoiler, it isn't a major plot detail and it's something I was 75% sure was going to happen (or at least wanted it to happen). But it would've been one of those rare moments where I would have absolutely popped off seeing it happen in the cinema, without knowing for sure beforehand.

Edited by Eddage

Went for a midnight showing to Deadpool and Wolverine. Amazing. Me and my mate were absolutely howling throughout the whole thing. If you follow the comics, the old Marvel movies and the MCU, you will get a lot out of the movie. 

Now to get a couple of hours kip and the head to work. Joy. 

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 3

Just got back from seeing Deadpool 3. Loved it. Yes, it was mostly nostalgia, cameos and references up the wahzoo, but I don't care - I fucking love nostalgia.

I'll add more when I'm sure that spoiler tags are working.

Edited by bob
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, bob said:

Just got back from seeing Deadpool 3. Loved it. Yes, it was mostly nostalgia, cameos and references up the wahzoo, but I don't care - I fucking love nostalgia.

I'll add more when I'm sure that spoiler tags are working.

Spoiler

Yup, the cameos were amazing. The one that was most surprising was Blade. We went nuts, as did most of the audience, when he walked in. When he said his ice skating line....perfection.

The Chris Evans cameo was amazing as well. With this being Deadpool, I knew straight away he was gonna be Jonny Storm rather than Cap. :D 

Channing Tatum as Gambit was another great addition. Dude was trying to get a Gambit movie off the ground for years and this was gonna be the closest he got. 

The soundtrack to the movie was so well done. Having Deadpool go on a killing spree with Bye, Bye, Bye playing in the background was hilarious. As was his little cut away dancing moments. Same goes for when him and Wolverine were fighting in the car and You're the One That I Want was playing.

The 4th wall breaking moments where he mentioned just how bad the MCU movies were since Endgame...again, perfection. :) 

• Like 1

I also saw Deadpool & Wolverine and really enjoyed it and just like the previous posts said, the cameos were fantastic. It felt good to see those characters again, even if the movies they came from were not all great it just made me happy to see them get their moment. Speaking of the cameos, the entire cast of the movie showed up at the San Diego ComicCon last night (Spoilers for those who have not seen the movie yet):

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Helmsly said:

I also saw Deadpool & Wolverine and really enjoyed it and just like the previous posts said, the cameos were fantastic. It felt good to see those characters again, even if the movies they came from were not all great it just made me happy to see them get their moment. Speaking of the cameos, the entire cast of the movie showed up at the San Diego ComicCon last night (Spoilers for those who have not seen the movie yet):

I wonder how many of that crowd had actually seen the film.