N-Europe

MGAc!d director / Japanese Analysts

BigTac

http://www.revolutionreport.com/articles/read/281

GI: When I met with you at Tokyo Game Show, it was right after the announcement of the Revolution controller. You kind of mentioned that you were on the team that was working on that. Are you excited about with that new hardware for new productions?

Nojiri: To be completely honest, I have been wrapped up in Ac!d 2 and haven’t even touched the Revolution development kit. Nothing has been decided yet but I am very interested in the Revolution. To be 100% honest, all I have is ideas in my head. I am not working on anything.

http://www.revolutionreport.com/articles/read/282

Speaking to Japanese Publication Famitsu, industry analysts from the western side of the Pacific recently made a number of predictions regarding the next generation of game consoles.

Daiwa Institute of Research Senior Analyst Eiji Maeda first discussed the price points of the two unreleased next-generation machines--the Sony PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Revolution--predicting that Sony's next console would be priced in the 40,000 yen ($343) range at the lowest, with Nintendo's Revolution console priced around 30,000 yen ($257) at its highest.

Continuing with Revolution discussion, IT Journalist Hiroshige Gotoh touched on why he thought the Revolution might succeed in the next-generation console war. He explained that the system could still match up to its higher-spec competitors thanks to its innovation and unique controller, analogous to how the DS has been outselling the PSP.

In regards to Revolution's launch date, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata already announced that the console needs to be released in America by Thanksgiving to take advantage of the holiday shopping season, but Maeda predicted that the machine could launch in Japan as early as June of this year. He also mentioned that the Revolution would still have a larger game line-up than the PlayStation 3, even if released that soon.

That sound pretty good but we made as good guesses as these analysts about the price an such.

I think the Revo will launch in summer. I have a strong feeling that Nintendo is downplaying the graphics as well as how far they are into production. After all their biggest competition is the PS3 and if Sony thinks that Nintendo can't compete and are far from finishing their product Sony don't have to rush the PS3 out and that if then there was suddenly a launch Sony would be last (kind of with the DS and PSP).

Why not?

First party games are said to have been in development for around a year, third party around 7/8 months and if it is so easy to develop for there's no reason why complete and polished games couldn't be released in June.

Revo shown in finished form, with all Japanese launch titles shown at E3 - Launches in Japan/US in June/July and then in Europe in September, certainly fits in with the (within 3 months worldwide)

Assuming games are ready then I see no reason why it couldn't launch in June, and if by then developers have had around a year to make games then it could be done - I wouldn't count on it but I wouldn't rule it out either.

Launching in June in Japan would mean that they wouldn't get a such a big launch rush and can build stock for a Thanksgiving release in the US and EU. Still seems pretty unlikely though.

I hope the MGA team gets the freedom to start making a Rev game - they seem pretty talented (although I don't like Metal Gear Acid but that's just me).