N-Europe

Korg Gadget

Sméagol

32 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Sweet! :smile:

I did not see that one coming, but with Switch being a “portable” and with KORG having been on both NDS and 3DS, I probably should have. Anyway, great news indeed. Cheers for the heads up. :cool:

Best bit is that since you can hook the Switch up to a TV, recording your creations, sharing them with those around you and blaring them out of your AV Receiver speakers will be easier and better than ever! :D 

Glad to see more “handheld” series like this and Picross surviving the jump! Here’s hoping that there’s plenty more to come!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

I'm hoping they release something like those Korg joy cons that were mocked up by someone online when the Switch was announced. Will definitely be getting this but I can't see myself even playing a gig with my Switch, far too precious to risk at something like that!

• 5 months later...

This will be releasing next week worldwide, will be £35.09 on the UK eShop which is fairly comparable to the price for the iOS version. I got a lot of use out of the DS entries and earlier versions of Fruity Loops which this appears to be a lot like so I think i'm going to get a lot of use out of this. It's pretty funny how over the last two weeks Football Manager and this have come along to completely upend how I use my Switch, interesting times.

• Thanks 1

A very important update for @RedShell and others who were interested in buying this. The Nintendo switch version is nerfed to the point it's basically unusable. The touch screen is used for initial menu navigation and playing the keyboard/drum pads ONLY, you cannot use the touch screen to turn knobs or edit the piano roll. The only way to move sliders up and down is through motion controls, it is an absurdly clunky system that I can't believe the team at Detune thought would be a viable option for a user interface. Unfortunately for me I didn't read up on the version before buying so I learned the lesson the hard way that it's a botched job, DO NOT BUY THIS SOFTWARE. Unless they make major changes to the user interface to bring it more inline with the iOS version I can't imagine ever wanting to use this again, very tempted to contact Nintendo customer service to demand a refund, it is not the software I expected to get when I paid £35 for it.

You also can't export your creations, if you magically manage to create anything of worth in the first place.

I bought this instead of getting Labo, I could probably get a lot more use out of the synth in Labo than I will from this.

Edited by killthenet
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Weird 1

Since I'm "playing" docked, I used the controller. It's not the most intuitive control system (from the little I've played s far, I can think of some interface and control improvements), but it gets the job done. You can do sliders and knobs with the sticks.

I also wish it had a MP3 export function (if I recall correctly, there's no license needed for that anymore), but I'll do it the old-fashioned way.

I contacted Nintendo about getting a refund but because I have actually used the software the purchase isn't eligible to be cancelled so I guess I'm just going to have to try and figure out a way to use it. I'll fiddle with it in docked mode @Sméagol to see what it's like but unless Detune patch it I can't see the software being very useful to me considering the portable mode was the whole reason I wanted it.

3 hours ago, killthenet said:

I contacted Nintendo about getting a refund but because I have actually used the software the purchase isn't eligible to be cancelled so I guess I'm just going to have to try and figure out a way to use it. I'll fiddle with it in docked mode @Sméagol to see what it's like but unless Detune patch it I can't see the software being very useful to me considering the portable mode was the whole reason I wanted it.

The same controls I use on my pro work in handheld. That's not to say the controls are ideal, they do need a patch, but I can still use most functions easily.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Bump... I realise that the Korg Gadget on the Switch probably hasn't had as much love as it should have for various reasons.

I know there was the issue around the lack of full touch-screen controls, also I just did a search and USB midi support was also something people have been asking for.

Anyway... I saw this stream, in which they are adding Sega and Taito sound libraries complete with new gadgets... (go to the 26 minute mark)

I thought this was really cool, then I went back and remembered the limitations of the Switch version, it's frustrating because if they were to update it now with full touch-screen support, USB midi interface for keyboards etc and slashed the price for a week then it would surely become a versatile tool for music making, especially for those of us who have a Switch but would never want or need anything like an overpriced branded tablet, the Switch is that sweet spot in the middle as the price is good for what it can do but just having a more sully featured version of the Korg Gadget would be an amazing addition to any Switch owners library.

Maybe it will happen, maybe it won't but I can see that there's a lot of potential here... I might end up getting it anyway when these sound libraries come out, if it's on sale.

• Thanks 2

• 6 months later...

Got excited when I saw it had an update, but didn't watch the video. Saw something about keyboaud support.. So I plugged in my Korg Nanopad! ..And that did nothing. Apparently they mean computer keyboards. That's disappointing.

But I should give this more attention soon regardless.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...