NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Football Season 2017-18

Villa are out of the automatic promotion picture now and after Middlesbrough cemented their place in the playoffs we should end up playing each other. I just hope that Fulham can beat Cardiff into second so we don't have to face the prospect of beating a side on such a long unbeaten run if we were to reach the playoff final. Usually I enjoy watching the football league playoffs but this season I'll have Villa (and most likely Coventry) to be concerned about so it's going to be a pretty stressful time 

It’s going to be such an intense end to the season for us, seeing as we’re still mathematically capable of reaching the top four. 

To do so, we need to win our next three games - vs. Liverpool at home, vs. Huddersfield at home, and vs. Newcastle away - and hope that Spurs and/or Liverpool drop points in their remaining games. It seems unlikely that we’ll be able to beat Liverpool on goal difference, but we’re not too far off Tottenham’s.

Edited by Julius Caesar

Gutted by how the game ended, but to lose 2-1 with a weakened team and near enough Man U's best 11 was a great effort. Despite the result, there were some promising performances from new boy Konstantinos Mavropanos, Ainsley Maitland Niles and Mkhitaryan, who's goal was well deserved because he looked the most likely to make a goal and he managed to score it. Best away performance this year and should have gotten a point out of it, alas still 0 points away in 2018. The season comes down to Thursday night but I'll be working during the match and hoping we can get to the final.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

It was an odd game and I don't really think United could be bothered throughout most of it, certainly not until Arsenal scored the equaliser. I got loads of marking done whilst watching the game. :p

There wasn't really much to the game. Definitely had an end-of-season feel to it, which is daft considering that we still need to consolidate second place. 1-1 would have been a fair result for Arsenal. Can't believe that stat about 0 away points! Is that really true? What the hell has happened there?!

Most important game of the season so far for us tonight.

I'm not very optimistic. I think Real will be very clever today and beat us 3-0.

A little hope is still there, though... :D

Why, WHY did we have to concede another stupid goal... :nono:

Edit: Fuck everything.

Back to video gaming I go :D

Edited by drahkon

Bayern have had chances...they've not been out of the game. Just haven't been able to take their chances. That second Real Madrid goal is just horrible, though. Shouldn't be making that sort of mistake in a game of this calibre. Bayern deserve to be out purely on that one goal.

James comes back to haunt the Bernabau, that Ronaldo miss could be crucial just yet. 

Wow, could that injury time have been more of a waste of time?! Just get the bluddy ball into the box. Bayern had plenty of chances to go through in this game. Just didn't take them. 

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

Well deserved.

Just as last year we gifted it to Madrid. :nono:

You guys really should have won that tie. Over the two legs you battered them. :( 

Now for Liverpool to cock up and throw it all away tomorrow night and the failure will be complete.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You guys really should have won that tie.

Could have, should have, would have. :p

I was pissed for a couple of minutes. Now I'm calm again. Still...what a stupid performance in both legs ::shrug:

Liverpool have got an amazing chance to win it now. They should see out the Roma game and they should beat that Madrid side with the players that they have. Well...Salah, mainly.

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You guys really should have won that tie. Over the two legs you battered them. :( 

Now for Liverpool to cock up and throw it all away tomorrow night and the failure will be complete.

I haven't been able to book the final off from work yet for fear that it will tempt fate :blank:

I haven't been able to book the final off from work yet for fear that it will tempt fate :blank:

6 hours ago, nekunando said:

Haha. That's probably for the best. I honestly have a feeling we will throw it away, especially if we play like we did over the weekend. We looked absolutely dreadful.

Gutted Madrid got through last night. There's no way they should have won that tie. That's football for you, though. :( ::shrug:

Haha. That's probably for the best. I honestly have a feeling we will throw it away, especially if we play like we did over the weekend. We looked absolutely dreadful.

Gutted Madrid got through last night. There's no way they should have won that tie. That's football for you, though. :( ::shrug:

Eh, I think this is a team designed almost solely (and to their detriment) to get the job done in Europe, so I’m not surprised. They don’t have the squad depth to compete in La Liga right now, and, I’d imagine, don’t really care for the Copa del Rey, at least by comparison. Almost the entire squad has that winning mentality, probably as a result of having a coach with that same mentality (win above all else), and thus manage to win very tough games against the best of teams, even if they play as poorly as they did last night. 

I do worry somewhat for whichever team gets through tonight. Real Madrid have won every UCL final that they’ve been in since the competition was rebranded from the European Cup, and despite them playing poorly (by their own standards) for much of the tournament, you just know that they’re going to turn up for an occasion like this. 

I think (and hope) that it will be a much more interesting match than many think it will be :D 

I'm gonna predict a 2-1 victory for Roma tonight, meaning Liverpool going through 6-4 on AGG.

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I always have a feeling we'll somehow mess things up :blank: Even if we do get through, you can be sure we'll make it as nerve-racking as possible :indeed:

I'm actually happy Real Madrid got through as that's my friend's team so it could be the dream final for us :grin: To be fair to them, they've had to knock out PSG, Juventus and Bayern Munich on the way so it hasn't exactly been an easy route to the final.

I just hope we can get through and smash them!

23 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

Eh, I think this is a team designed almost solely (and to their detriment) to get the job done in Europe, so I’m not surprised. They don’t have the squad depth to compete in La Liga right now, and, I’d imagine, don’t really care for the Copa del Rey, at least by comparison. Almost the entire squad has that winning mentality, probably as a result of having a coach with that same mentality (win above all else), and thus manage to win very tough games against the best of teams, even if they play as poorly as they did last night. 

I do worry somewhat for whichever team gets through tonight. Real Madrid have won every UCL final that they’ve been in since the competition was rebranded from the European Cup, and despite them playing poorly (by their own standards) for much of the tournament, you just know that they’re going to turn up for an occasion like this. 

I think (and hope) that it will be a much more interesting match than many think it will be :D 

I don't think Madrid won the tie because they had a winning mentality or because they were better, it was down to the fact that Bayern didn't take their chances. Had Madrid faced a team who were more critical up front then they would have been decimated if they played like they did these past two games. IMO, they scraped by in this leg and are lucky to be in the final at all.

Sign in to follow this