NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
flameboy

Good Nintendo Podcasts?

It's hard to look past nostalgia when compiling lists. I try and think to myself "If Super Mario 3D World came out at the time of Super Mario World, would it be as celebrated", and often the answer is a definite yes.

Just now, Ronnie said:

It's hard to look past nostalgia when compiling lists. I try and think to myself "If Super Mario 3D World came out at the time of Super Mario World, would it be as celebrated", and often the answer is a definite yes.

I've no doubt it would. The graphics alone would blow the minds of people in 1992. :D I get what you mean, though. The quality is still there in SM3DW and some of the later levels are platforming bliss, its just that a lot of us have childhood memories of the games we played back in the day and these tend to have a strong pull on us.  Also, I imagine most of us back then played those games over and over again, something which is harder to do as an adult.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, nekunando said:

I owned Banjo-Kazooie before Super Mario 64 and originally thought it was better but I think the latter may hold up better even though they are very different games. Banjo-Tooie has tarnished my view a little as it destroyed most of what made the original great but I really want to play the first game again. Just thinking about the levels and the music makes my heart sing :love:

Totally up for creating some sort of N-Europe list!

Yeah Tooie did tarnish the series a bit.

It could be fun but I think we have about 8 active members now so it would be a pretty short list. :D 

I'm kind of keen to see what the IGN list would have been with an additional rule that no Mario, Zelda or Pokemon titles could be included. Just to celebrate what else Nintendo have in their locker because let's face it, the dozen or so mainline Mario and what is it, 20 Zelda games easily dominate and push other games to the wayside.

Just now, Ronnie said:

I'm kind of keen to see what the IGN list would have been with an additional rule that no Mario, Zelda or Pokemon titles could be included. Just to celebrate what else Nintendo have in their locker because let's face it, the dozen or so mainline Mario and what is it, 20 Zelda games easily dominate and push other games to the wayside.

Yeah, that would have been an interesting take on things. They even mention that the list was full of those titles. What they should have done was limit it to one entry per franchise. That would have shaken things up a bit.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, that would have been an interesting take on things. They even mention that the list was full of those titles. What they should have done was limit it to one entry per franchise. That would have shaken things up a bit.

That's what I do on my personal top 10 gaming list, only one entry per franchise. It ends up being Wind Waker and either Galaxy 1 or 3D World, I tend to go back and forth on that.

Edited by Ronnie

Me and Dakota we’re discussing our Mario and Zelda top 5 combined the other day. Hard. 

One entry each though? Mad to think it could be breath of the wild and odyssey...

Definitely should do a top ten list for Nintendo games with a limit of 1 title per franchise. How many Franchises do Nintendo have though? would for example mario platformers and mario kart's count as separate franchises? I would argue yes, as while the ip is the same the gameplay is really different...
Also While Yoshi and Donkey Kong are from the mario universe, do they count as being a part of the mario franchise?

Franchises I can think of

Spoiler

Zelda
Mario/Mario kart/Mario Party/ Mario Golf/ Mario Tennis/Luigi's mansion/Donkey Kong/Diddy Kong racing/Yoshi platformers/Yoshi's cookie &dr mario &dr Luigi/Wario ware etc.
Starfox
Pokemon
Animal crossing
Splatoon
Doshin
Pikmin
Metroid
Kirby
Fire emblem
F-zero
Kid Icarus
Punchout
Wii Fit
Duck hunt
Super Smash Bros

So definitely enough to have variety of franchises. and with "only 8 active members" it shouldn't be too hard to get "consensus" on the top 10 - it would be much tougher to get a top ten with thousands of suggestions!

Mario, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Luigi's Mansion, Captain Toad etc definitely all count as separate franchises.

If we decide to do this (on a separate thread maybe) it might work where we each give our top 10 (with the one game per franchise stipulation), and each entry gets a particular points value, so number 4 on the list gets 4 points etc. Then we total up all the points at the end to narrow down the top 10.

Or we can do it like IGN did it, just a suggestion.

Edited by Ronnie

Banjo-Kazooie > Mario 64

Double Dash > Mario Kart 64 (it's actually the worst in the entire series)

Sunshine is the best 3D Mario.

Luigi's Mansion is a top 5 of all time Nintendo developed game.

Come at me.

When was the last time you replayed Sunshine?

Mario Kart 64 may not hold up much these days but at the time it was a huge achievement bringing the series into 3D.

7 hours ago, Nicktendo said:

Banjo-Kazooie > Mario 64

:bowdown:

7 hours ago, Nicktendo said:

Sunshine is the best 3D Mario.

:eek:

• Haha 1

Also, how will you weight against morons who don't know what they're talking about and just vote for terrible games?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ronnie said:

When was the last time you replayed Sunshine?

Mario Kart 64 may not hold up much these days but at the time it was a huge achievement bringing the series into 3D.

To be honest I thought it was pretty poor, especially in comparison to the vastly superior Diddy Kong Racing, which looked nicer and seemed to run better (+ no rubber banding!!)

I've only played Sunshine twice to completion. Both times during the GC's lifespan so I know that's totally nostalgia speaking :D I claim its the best because I remember having more fun with it on my first play through than I did with the Galaxy games (as incredible as they are) or 3D world. Generally preffered the hub world route and multiple stars per world than the more linear affairs.

• Like 2

A first round with everybody's top 5 per platform, the game with the most votes per platform goes to the second round and everybody can place these in their preferred order.

That could help a little with eliminating the nostalgia factor? I think we can safely leave the Color TV Game and Game & Watch platforms out, and I'd suggest the same for the Virtua Boy.

I'd vote

NES: 1: Super Mario Bros 3, 2: The Legend of Zelda 3: 2: Mega Man II, 4: Little Nemo: The Dream Master, 5: Adventure Island II
GB(C):  1: Super Mario Land II Six Golden Coins, 2: Links Awakening, 3: Pokemon Red/Blue, 4: Tetris, 5: Wario Land III
SNES: 1: Donkey Kong Country, 2: Super Mario World, 3: Super Mario Kart, 4: Zelda a Link to the Past, 5: Mega Man X (I need to cheat here, so some honourable mentions: Streetfighter II and Starfox)
N64: 1: Ocarina of Time, 2: Mario 64, 3: Mario Kart 64, 4: Goldeneye, 5: Super Smash Brothers 
GBA: 1: Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, 2: Advance Wars, 3: Wario Ware Twisted, 4: Metroid Zero Mission, 5: Golden Sun (when I look back, this might be my least favourite Nintendo platform, library wise)
GC: 1: Super Smash Bros Melee, 2: Metroid Prime, 3: Paper Mario The Thousand-Year Door, 4: Zelda Wind Waker, 5: F-Zero GX (another cheat, honourable mentions Double Dash, Resi 4, Pikmin, Eternal Darkness)
NDS(i): 1: Mario Kart DS, 2: Mario & Luigi Partners in Time, 3: Zelda the Phantom Hourglass, 4: Professor Layton the Last Specter, 5: Pokemon Black
Wii: 1: Little King's Story 2: Mario Galaxy 2, 3: Smash Bros Brawl, 4: Punch-Out!!, 5: Wii Sports Resort 
WIIU: 1: Mario Kart 8, 2: Captain Toad Treasure Trackers, 3: Splatoon, 4: Super Mario Maker, 5: Smash Bros for Wii U

3DS: 1: Zelda a Link Between Worlds, 2: Fire Emblem Fates, 3: Metroid Samus Returns, 4: Kid Icarus Uprising, 5: Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon 

Switch 1: BotW, 2: Mario & Rabbids, 3: Shovel Knight Treasure Trove, 4: Snipperclips, 5: Arms (I don't feel the Switch Library is already large enough for a top 5 though, numbers 3, 4 and 5 will probably drop out)

This was actually quite hard to compose, as I feel some generations/hardware had a higher quality library than others. At least when it comes to my personal taste and preference. I see some titles in my list that I feel are less noteworthy than some that I left out in other generations. Nice little exercise though! :)

Edited by markderoos

I feel we should put this in it's own thread rather than go off topic with this one that people might not see. I'd be happy to lay it all out if no one else is keen, assuming H-O-T doesn't want to, it was his idea.

Also, I think IGN's rule of Nintendo published or developed only should apply, so no Little King's Story or Little Nemo. I'd actually be tempted to say Nintendo developed only, but maybe that's just me.

And lastly, if we go with your system of 1 game per platform gets through to the final round that means that some quality titles might miss out. Eg: we'd have to have a GBA game in there, when really, two Super Nintendo games might be more worthy, etc. I suppose we could have it so the top 2 of each platform go through...

Edited by Ronnie

you could weight each platform and give games scores based on position * platform weight...

so for example, switch = 1, Wii U/3ds=0.9 wii/ds=0.8 gc/gba = 0.7 n64=0.6 snes = 0.6 nes/gb=0.5

It's not a very heavy weighting, but say breath of the wild gets 10 votes, LoZ on the nes would need 20 to equal that score, while OoT or MM would need 17 votes, WW 13 votes

I'd say markderoos idea could work well with that, removing the cap of 1 game per generation though and just have the top 20/40/50 scoring  games make it to the shortlist.

but yeah, the technicalities can be sorted by whoever feels motivated to make the thread. Could be a good thing to cover in the NES podcast if that's going to be a thing again...just checked and the last post in that thread was June 2016 - is it gone for good??

45 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I feel we should put this in it's own thread rather than go off topic with this one that people might not see. I'd be happy to lay it all out if no one else is keen, assuming H-O-T doesn't want to, it was his idea.

Feel free to knock something up yourself.

I will say that I it looks like you guys are over complicating things a little. What makes the IGN list good is that its fun and quite simple.

• They each take a turn in adding a game to the top 10. 
  • Once the ten games are established, you then can either add a game to the list at any position ( knocking down all the games underneath ) or swap the positions of 2 games that are already on the list.
  • If a game is thrown off the list twice then it stays of the list for good.
  • Each person can choose to veto a decision once.

Sign in to follow this