NEurope
drahkon

The 'Other' Switch Thread

EA talks about Nintendo and the Switch.

“I only spoke about FIFA today, but our company’s structure lets us release all sorts of games for every platform, so we’ll go wherever the gamers go. I think Nintendo Switch will put Nintendo at the forefront of the game industry once again. Their approach is quite different from anything they’ve done in the past – they’ve listened to EA, Activision, and other companies since the beginning of the Switch’s development, so we’ve been involved throughout the whole process. They teamed up with us because they wanted to guarantee the console would be successful. Doing business with Nintendo is very important for us… We’d like to bring more and more games over for everyone.”

Question is, did Nintendo put into practice the things they were told or suggested by these 3rd parties? Probably not.

It's the same old song and dance every time a new Nintendo platform launches. 3rd parties come out and say how excited they are for the console and how it will bring new and interesting things to the table but it very rarely works out.

I think the majority of 3rd party support will be from Japan. A lot of publishers still put games on the Vita and the Switch seems like the next best thing they could develop for once the Vita completely dies off. The Western developers is where I think they are going to struggle.

You look at the launch line up of games and it's not painting a good picture of western support for the Switch. There are no real big franchises from anyone. No CoD. No Battlefield. No Watch Dogs. What is on the table are games like Just Dance, Skylanders, Rayman Legends and Skyrim. While Skyrim can be seen as a big game, it's gonna be very late to the party once it arrives.

You also have things like Dragon Quest Heroes, where the Switch version looks like a massive downgrade compared to the PS4 game. It looks as though the Vita version is being the one ported. Dragonball Xenoverse 2 is another game that looks to be running a lot worse than what is on the other consoles. Granted, it's early days but when 3rd party games do come to the Switch they are going to be compared to what's already on the market, much like the console will be.

Comments from people like Mohammad Alavi ( Titanfall 2 designer ) saying that Titanfall 2 would never be on the Switch is not the only one to be making such claims. Randy Pitchford mentioned last week how Borderlands 3 probably wont be on the console either.

[TWEET]820774822691176449[/TWEET]

This isn't the kind of stuff you want to be seeing when buying into a new console.

This year will possibly see the release of Red Dead Redemption 2 and Destiny 2. If released, these are probably going to be two of the biggest games of the year. Will the Switch get these? I'd be VERY surprised if they did. Both of these games have mass market appeal and if Nintendo once again misses out on such games then they will struggle, at least in the West.

The Switch is being marketed as a console you can take anywhere. Many are excited that they will get to play games on the go, but this only works if there are games to play. If Nintendo don't get the big hitters from 3rd parties, which in turn should help bring in the mass market gamers, then this is once again going to be a device that only appeals to a fast diminishing Nintendo fan base.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

But wasn't that always going to happen? Technically inferior ports? For me it was always technically superior vs home/portable play. I think it's a strong enough reason for it be a decision to make, likely on a case by case scenario. And although Skyrim a year later is Wii U all over again in some regards. At least the idea of portable Skyrim is a different proposition. If a big AAA game came out for the 3DS, even a year later, there'd be a lot of excitement about that I think; need to keep remembering that Switch is this too. I think it's all it has going for it with AAA 3rd parties if it gets them.

But wasn't that always going to happen? Technically inferior ports? For me it was always technically superior vs home/portable play. I think it's a strong enough reason for it be a decision to make, likely on a case by case scenario. And although Skyrim a year later is Wii U all over again in some regards. At least the idea of portable Skyrim is a different proposition. If a big AAA game came out for the 3DS, even a year later, there'd be a lot of excitement about that I think; need to keep remembering that Switch is this too. I think it's all it has going for it with AAA 3rd parties if it gets them.

This is where things are getting messy. If you class the Switch as a portable then it's a fantastic bit of kit. However, as a console it looks to be lacking and this is something that many will see it as, especially as this is how Nintendo are marketing it.

While having Skyrim on the go would be nice, it's going to have to launch at a budget price or it will bomb. I can't see it selling massively if it's not running well and sold at a high price, even if it is portable. Even the new remastered editions on the other consoles sold at a lower price, so having to pay more a year later won't sit well with a lot of people.

This is where things are getting messy. If you class the Switch as a portable then it's a fantastic bit of kit. However, as a console it looks to be lacking and this is something that many will see it as, especially as this is how Nintendo are marketing it.

While having Skyrim on the go would be nice, it's going to have to launch at a budget price or it will bomb. I can't see it selling massively if it's not running well and sold at a high price, even if it is portable. Even the new remastered editions on the other consoles sold at a lower price, so having to pay more a year later won't sit well with a lot of people.

Yeah, if it's more expensive than the other versions it's DOA.

But as for the messy Switch situation. Maybe. I just think different games need a different approach; some games sold as home console games (or both) and some more as handheld. Skyrim should be sold as a portable game, that's the only thing impressive about it Autumn 2017 I think. But then games like Mario and Zelda and I'd imagine most Nintendo first parties will compete with the biggest games on any platform.

It might once again come down to how Nintendo handle marketing. But hey, they've never made a mistake in that regards before...

I think catering to both home and handheld markets could be a big issue if not handled right. I remember a lot of people giving reasons as to why the Vita was not selling well and most alluding to the fact that ports of home console games don't suit handheld gaming (which near launch is what it had a lot of).

There's a thin line they need to tread as they might manage to cater to both audiences or end up catering to neither.

Depends.

Tekken wasnt announced for switch despite people speculating unreal ports are possible on Switch.

From what i can see, Nintendo are struggling with basic Switch games let alone ports.

The stupidly high costs wont help them. Its just way too much for a couple of games.

I was watching Kinda Funny Games last night and the guys were talking about the Switch. Tim was saying how certain things that are missing from the device don't matter to him, which is fair enough. Colin was saying that if you look at the bigger picture then things aren't that simple.

I've setup the YouTube link to start just as Colin starts his pie chart analogy.

I think he's spot on with what he says. When you start removing features from the Switch, the people that are potential customers gets lower and lower. Ultimately what you're left with is the dwindling core Nintendo fans.

This year will possibly see the release of Red Dead Redemption 2 and Destiny 2. If released, these are probably going to be two of the biggest games of the year. Will the Switch get these? I'd be VERY surprised if they did. Both of these games have mass market appeal and if Nintendo once again misses out on such games then they will struggle, at least in the West.

Not that it'd even be likely to occur but I cannot imagine attempting Destiny online through the Switch's terrible online approach. I played for the best part of 10-12 hours one Sunday - having jumped in after TTK expansion - how is a phone or smart device even going to handle all that time of being on and communicating data with yet another thing to charge it? Imagine taking on a raid for the first time blind - how long will you be playing through that and how much charge is everyone gonna have on their smart device?

Also not Destiny related but what if I've been out all day and come home to play a quick bit of Splatwoon - but it's incredibly hard for me to voice chat because my phone battery is running down on 1-15%?

The Switch is being marketed as a console you can take anywhere. Many are excited that they will get to play games on the go, but this only works if there are games to play. If Nintendo don't get the big hitters from 3rd parties, which in turn should help bring in the mass market gamers, then this is once again going to be a device that only appeals to a fast diminishing Nintendo fan base.

I certainly do like the idea of its portability - but it's absolutely games dependant as you say. One killer app for me may well be a Monster Hunter game - having the potential for both local and online hunts would be pretty grand in a game like that.

I think catering to both home and handheld markets could be a big issue if not handled right. I remember a lot of people giving reasons as to why the Vita was not selling well and most alluding to the fact that ports of home console games don't suit handheld gaming (which near launch is what it had a lot of).

There's a thin line they need to tread as they might manage to cater to both audiences or end up catering to neither.

Interestingly I was very against MM when it came to 3DS. I didn't like that new people potentially experiencing it for the first time will no fully/truly experience the time pressures forced upon the player with a console compared to a sleepable portable. Having said that - I did bloody love the convenience of it as a portable and being able to sleep it at almost any time; but then again I in some ways minded less as I'd already had the experience of the time pressures in the original play through. I think there are some potential pluses to console games on handheld - but I do think certain things can certainly be lost in what seems such a subtle transition.

Edited by Rummy

I was watching Kinda Funny Games last night and the guys were talking about the Switch. Tim was saying how certain things that are missing from the device don't matter to him, which is fair enough. Colin was saying that if you look at the bigger picture then things aren't that simple.

I've setup the YouTube link to start just as Colin starts his pie chart analogy.

I think he's spot on with what he says. When you start removing features from the Switch, the people that are potential customers gets lower and lower. Ultimately what you're left with is the dwindling core Nintendo fans.

I don't think I've mentioned this before, but that guy is such an obnoxious dick!! ;)

Some of what he says I do like, and I actually quite like the way he talks about things - like the pie chart analogy. But, Tim Gettys is why I watch them, dont' know why but just really like him, he has such a childlike manner about him; quite endearing. And even in this when Colin was speaking I'd say something to counter and then Tim would jump in with the same thing.

They all have good points, ultimately we don't know how it'll pan out. But even though his excuse ended up being well nintendo are talking about it as a home console, isn't their point to look beyond that and join not referencing 3DS sales when he was talking about the declining sales was utterly only using eveidence to support his view. The great thing about Switch is it is the merging of their handheld and home console, and I don't care what nintendo are saying currently, you have to factor in the 3DS success when using their past machines as a way to criticise them.

Interesting though.

I don't think I've mentioned this before, but that guy is such an obnoxious dick!! ;)

Some of what he says I do like, and I actually quite like the way he talks about things - like the pie chart analogy. But, Tim Gettys is why I watch them, dont' know why but just really like him, he has such a childlike manner about him; quite endearing. And even in this when Colin was speaking I'd say something to counter and then Tim would jump in with the same thing.

They all have good points, ultimately we don't know how it'll pan out. But even though his excuse ended up being well nintendo are talking about it as a home console, isn't their point to look beyond that and join not referencing 3DS sales when he was talking about the declining sales was utterly only using eveidence to support his view. The great thing about Switch is it is the merging of their handheld and home console, and I don't care what nintendo are saying currently, you have to factor in the 3DS success when using their past machines as a way to criticise them.

Interesting though.

I like Tim but he lacks the knowledge about the industry as a whole. He's okay with a bit of Nintendo banter but that's about it. Greg knows a little more about stuff than Tim but Colin knows an incredible amount about the industry. He's very much like Jim Sterling. People don't like them because they both come off as loud and obnoxious but if you can look past that you can see both of them are very good at what they do.

It wasn't just Colin talking about the messaging of the Switch, Tim also agreed with him about it. As a handheld its a great piece of kit but with Nintendo messaging it at as console then they are ultimately going to be compared to the competition. The problem is that the 3DS is still out in the market. Had this been killed off then I imagine Nintendo would be pushing this as their next big handheld .

I get what your saying in regards to the 3DS sales but even if you factor the Wii U sales into the 3DS sales you are still only talking 70-75 million sales across two platforms. You have something like the PS4 pushing 55 million at the moment and that has been on the market less time than both these devices.

3DS has been a success given the current climate but you have to wonder if the number will once again drop with this next generation, as mobile is eating into the handheld sector and the Switch isn't seen ( at the moment ) as a good home console.

Jim on point, as usual.

*insert The Rock clapping gif*

EDIT: You can't make this stuff up. He's got Nintendo fighting amongst themselves with his video. :D

[TWEET]821053856452931585[/TWEET]

Good rebuttal vid to Jim's one:

Does well to address the constant manic behaviour of Nintendo fans given whilst having little information to go by. Also does well to address the pricing debate, as well as the thought process of thinking that when Nintendo does something different its automatically going to be inferior to the rest (the smartphone online app).

Edited by King_V

Good rebuttal vid to Jim's one:

Does well to address the constant manic behaviour of Nintendo fans given whilst having little information to go by. Also does well to address the pricing debate, as well as the thought process of thinking that when Nintendo does something different its automatically going to be inferior to the rest (the smartphone online app).

I thought this was another video by Jim Sterling but seen its by RMC. I knocked it off soon after realizing this.

As much as I appreciate the work he does on GoNintendo, I don't rate or value his opinion much. In the past he has shown bias to Nintendo on many occasions and has an interest in them doing well, what with running a fan site dedicated to them. I appreciate the likes of Jim, Colin, Giant Bomb etc. a lot more as they have all worked in the industry for years and are free to speak freely as they aren't bound to a single company.

That's not to say I don't enjoy Nintendo fan sites, I mean, I'm here after all and have been for years. The likes of RFN/NWR, probably one of the oldest Nintendo fan sites and gaming podcasts, I have massive respect for because, despite running a Nintendo site, they don't have their head up Nintendos backside and are quite happy to slag the company off if need be. In fact, one of their most popular episodes ( think it's called the day the music died ) is where the crew goes off on one due to the Wii U just being a mess, both in sales and software line up.

TBH, i've no idea why RMC is doing these videos ( done one against Colin as well ). All it's done is paint him in a bad light within certain communities. Instead of just making a video about what thinks about the Switch, he has pandered to the will of his fan base, made these rebuttal videos, and just come off as a defender by calling these two guys out.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I thought this was another video by Jim Sterling but seen its by RMC. I knocked it off soon after realizing this.

As much as I appreciate the work he does on GoNintendo, I don't rate or value his opinion much. In the past he has shown bias to Nintendo on many occasions and has an interest in them doing well, what with running a fan site dedicated to them. I appreciate the likes of Jim, Colin, Giant Bomb etc. a lot more as they have all worked in the industry for years and are free to speak freely as they aren't bound to a single company.

That's not to say I don't enjoy Nintendo fan sites, I mean, I'm here after all and have been for years. The likes of RFN/NWR, probably one of the oldest Nintendo fan sites and gaming podcasts, I have massive respect for because, despite running a Nintendo site, they don't have their head up Nintendos backside and are quite happy to slag the company off if need be. In fact, one of their most popular episodes ( think it's called the day the music died ) is where the crew goes off on one due to the Wii U just being a mess, both in sales and software line up.

TBH, i've no idea why RMC is doing these videos ( done one against Colin as well ). All it's done is paint him in a bad light within certain communities. Instead of just making a video about what thinks about the Switch, he has pandered to the will of his fan base, made these rebuttal videos, and just come off as a defender by calling these two guys out.

This was a personal emotional rollercoaster to reed. You hate me, then you're okay with me, then you hate me again :heh:

Now admittedly I've watched none of the videos so maybe I'm commenting out of context; though I do agree with some of H-o-T's points regarding trying to be not too biased. Iirc I listened to and quite enjoyed the RFN episode he mentioned - and it was a great listen because it felt realistic. We all have to be realistic I think, despite what side of the fence we sit, I think. Speaking of which...

as well as the thought process of thinking that when Nintendo does something different its automatically going to be inferior to the rest (the smartphone online app).

Who's automatically doing that though? I've posted across a few different threads and indeed even here just a few posts up with potential scenarios where having the online run through a smartphone app will not be particularly suitable.

Yet I see few people offer a decent rebuttal or explain how it might not work like that. If Nintendo aren't giving us lots of information, and we can logically imagine realistic scenarios in which the app would be less suitable - what else are we to work with and why was the conclusion 'automatic'? It almost takes an attitude of sticking one's head in the sand regarding the conversation!

One thing I was thinking with the recent information regarding the Switch's 3.5mm port being able to take headsets/microphones - they COULD(and hopefully will) use the online app for matchmaking/initiating voice chat but the actual voice chat side itself running through the console once everything's matchmade. Keeps power consumtion on the secondary smart device down. I still stand by the belief they've gone down the App route because of their still ridiculous concerns around people ending up in voice chat with randoms - and that's a conversation that's been done to death - but it is also that basis upon which I hope for the above.

Back to the earlier point though...

...Are you implying that Kav is a typical Nintendo fanboy or something? In this forum, I'd say he's one of their biggest critics :heh:

I wanted to quote this because I think it's kinda of relevant to the generalisations made about the varying sides or 'fans'. I think a number of us here have probably been fanboys at some point in their lives(I certainly was as a young'un) as well as critics too. Why is it always put across that we have to apparently be one or the other? That we can't critically look at the system but still want it? It seems to too often come down to the idea that if you criticise it you hate it, and if you praise it you love it; when surely nothing is so black and white as to that?

I mean sure, I do fall on the more critical side of Nintendo at the moment - but it's because I used to love so much of what they did and feel they've lost that. Despite being on the critical side of them - me, and many others, still had a WiiU and supported that. It gets tiresome to be told that because you're critical you have no place in talking about them, or that you don't like them etc. It's one of the big reasons a thread like this came about.

So...yeah. I lost myself in this post a bit but just kinda wanted to make those loose points. I think.

@Rummy

Now admittedly I've watched none of the videos so maybe I'm commenting out of context; though I do agree with some of H-o-T's points regarding trying to be not too biased. Iirc I listened to and quite enjoyed the RFN episode he mentioned - and it was a great listen because it felt realistic. We all have to be realistic I think, despite what side of the fence we sit, I think.

If we are truly being realistic then we would speak on things in a more balanced positive and negative way, instead of in terms of being either black or white - either just positive or just negative. The latter isn't realistic and nothing in the real world operates on those terms. Which is why I would give much more of my time and appreciation to the rebuttal video because it is much more balanced than the earlier video which was obviously ONLY set out to paint the Switch in a negative light.

Who's automatically doing that though? I've posted across a few different threads and indeed even here just a few posts up with potential scenarios where having the online run through a smartphone app will not be particularly suitable.

With the little information we know about this app, the realistic approach to this IMO would be to not have such conclusive opinions on it - we barely know anything! For all we know it COULD be a better solution than the current online services available but almost instinctively, as its of Nintendo origin, its mostly shot dead upon mention. Its seems like an ingenious service when considering portable online gaming and Switch battery life.

Yet I see few people offer a decent rebuttal or explain how it might not work like that. If Nintendo aren't giving us lots of information, and we can logically imagine realistic scenarios in which the app would be less suitable - what else are we to work with and why was the conclusion 'automatic'? It almost takes an attitude of sticking one's head in the sand regarding the conversation!

Again with balance, there ARE logical scenarios in which the app could be more suited to the portable nature of the Switch. But what seems to come to the forefront the most are the negatives which creates irrational conversations, which seem formed purely on emotion rather than any logic.

If we are truly being realistic then we would speak on things in a more balanced positive and negative way, instead of in terms of being either black or white - either just positive or just negative. The latter isn't realistic and nothing in the real world operates on those terms. Which is why I would give much more of my time and appreciation to the rebuttal video because it is much more balanced than the earlier video which was obviously ONLY set out to paint the Switch in a negative light.

I think you're thinking too black and whitely about black and white! If this was in reference to the RFN podcast - well, I should admit that my context for it was not on that podcast alone - but having listened to a few and concluding from there that they probably weren't making the podcast with the sole intention of only just being negative about the console. Sure; a lot of 'negative' points were made but their discussion from what I call still felt balanced - and I imagine it was from pointing out potentially good things too.

With the little information we know about this app, the realistic approach to this IMO would be to not have such conclusive opinions on it - we barely know anything!

What conclusive opinions, though? I've already said we barely know anything! What are we supposed to do in the interim - suspend all our thought processes until someone else does it for us?

For all we know it COULD be a better solution than the current online services available

Well, I put to you a very obvious question...HOW could it be a better solution, if you're suggesting that possibility?

but almost instinctively, as its of Nintendo origin, its mostly shot dead upon mention. Its seems like an ingenious service when considering portable online gaming and Switch battery life.

Why, despite my previous post, are you still generalising people's responses to it? Who's shooting it 'dead upon mention' 'as its of Nintendo origin'? It's like you didn't even read my post. I've given realistic scenarios that could occur, based off the little we know - and yet am offered no rebuttal and indirectly accused of shooting the thing down simply because it's Nintendo! Absolute bullshit! Alternative facts!!

Again with balance, there ARE logical scenarios in which the app could be more suited to the portable nature of the Switch. But what seems to come to the forefront the most are the negatives which creates irrational conversations, which seem formed purely on emotion rather than any logic.

And again - why not offer them? I can't see much over a smart device app that couldn't have been done on the Switch - and before you talk about internet connections whilst out and about I believe you'd be hard pressed to find many people with a 3G+ device that doesn't offer them a WiFi tethering option. Add on top of that the local WiFi people might find whilst out and about as a counterpoint too.

@Rummy

Well, I put to you a very obvious question...HOW could it be a better solution, if you're suggesting that possibility?

it followed that same sentence you quoted...

Its seems like an ingenious service when considering portable online gaming and Switch battery life.

Why, despite my previous post, are you still generalising people's responses to it? Who's shooting it 'dead upon mention' 'as its of Nintendo origin'? It's like you didn't even read my post. I've given realistic scenarios that could occur, based off the little we know - and yet am offered no rebuttal and indirectly accused of shooting the thing down simply because it's Nintendo! Absolute bullshit! Alternative facts!!

But look man, this is what I mean about emotion... It leads to this. Im not indirectly accusing you of anything - why do you take such an open comment in such a personal way? If I was talking about you I would make it very clear...

But just in case it wasn't clear, my rebuttal to "why the online app is only a bad thing", is that it would be a BENEFIT TO SAVING BATTERY LIFE FOR PORTABLE ONLINE GAMING.

Edited by King_V

Because when you generalise people dismissing the service as being a poor idea, it includes me, because I'm dismissing it! However I am NOT dimissing it for the generalised reason?

Again - you say for 'portable online gaming' and 'Switch battery life' but neither of those are saying anything. Neither of those are 'logical scenarios' which you suggest exist.

I'm just asking for those. I didn't want to start addressing an aspect of either of those that you haven't considered in response to you, just for us to discuss whether or not it's what you were suggesting.

What's your point for 'portable online gaming' - is it addressed by my point above about WiFi hotspots? Is the issue of 'Switch battery life' also addressed by the concurrent issue of the associated secondary smart device's battery life? Basically because Nintendo have made a system that can't handle everything it wants to do I have to have a secondary smart device to do it for them, and use that at my own cost? I.E cost of the battery, issues when it breaks/stops working(as my phone did last week), having to have both devices at the same time etc?

Do you have any rebuttals for my points/scenarios offered in my earlier post? Or is the way forward to just keep saying 'but it COULD be good' whilst I say 'but it COULD be bad'?

Not that it'd even be likely to occur but I cannot imagine attempting Destiny online through the Switch's terrible online approach*. I played for the best part of 10-12 hours one Sunday - having jumped in after TTK expansion - how is a phone or smart device even going to handle all that time of being on and communicating data with yet another thing to charge it? Imagine taking on a raid for the first time blind - how long will you be playing through that and how much charge is everyone gonna have on their smart device?

Also not Destiny related but what if I've been out all day and come home to play a quick bit of Splatwoon - but it's incredibly hard for me to voice chat because my phone battery is running down on 10-15%?

(original post said 1-15% when it was supposed to be 10-15%, both are kinda valid but I hadn't intended my original argument to go down to the extreme of 1%)

*I call it a terrible online approach going by the limited information we've had from Nintendo so far suggesting both Matchmaking and Voice Chat are to be done through the app; with little suggestion of them being done elsewhere.

Edited by Rummy

@Rummy

Do you have any rebuttals for my points/scenarios offered in my earlier post? Or is the way forward to just keep saying 'but it COULD be good' whilst I say 'but it COULD be bad'?

...My point is BOTH sentences is what forms a realistic and balanced opinion/discussion, but I digress.

Neither of those are a discussion. They're just baseless statements of opinion with nothing to back them. Still, my logical scenarios and points seemingly are going ignored. If you can tell me why they're wrong, or present some alternative to count them, I'm happy to hear it! Not sure what the point of a thread is if not to actually discuss the systems potential implications!

It's ok though, I can see all the people buying the Switch are doing so because they blindly love and follow Nintendo and all they do, and similarly so with the love for the online app. So much so they can't bring themselves to criticise it, because they aren't then allowed to buy it ;)*

I argue against the battery life argument suggesting the Switch is poorly designed in that regards if they're having to depend on the users to have a 3rd party device to deal with their own shortcoming in the system's battery life. What about when my 3 hour remaining Switch is useless next to my friend's half-hour remaining in the pub, because whilst his Switch is going to die soon his phone is fine and mine has died because I was busy using it for neccessary things before I got there?

EDIT: *Putting a note in here as I was apparently too subtle despite the winkyface - the bolded paragraph is not actually a view I hold or believe in as I find it far too simplistic. I used it as an example of flipping the point to show that such an approach is no good regardless of which side of the coin it comes from(blindly for/blindly against).

Edited by Rummy

Has the phrase 'alternative facts' been used in all seriousness? Please say it was a joke. if not that is really cringeworthy.

Neither of those are a discussion. They're just baseless statements of opinion with nothing to back them. Still, my logical scenarios and points seemingly are going ignored. If you can tell me why they're wrong, or present some alternative to count them, I'm happy to hear it! Not sure what the point of a thread is if not to actually discuss the systems potential implications!

It's ok though, I can see all the people buying the Switch are doing so because they blindly love and follow Nintendo and all they do, and similarly so with the love for the online app. So much so they can't bring themselves to criticise it, because they aren't then allowed to buy it ;)

Yeah, in all honesty, I don't believe you are the right person to be having such discussions with, since you seemed so embroiled with a certain agenda.