N-Europe

Shareholder Q&A In English

Hero-of-Time

Let's see how many VR units are sold and how many amazing games there are for it before we starts questioning that comment.

No! Let's question it now. Why shouldn't we? Wouldn't it be better if Nintendo were actively pushing VR too, looking to create majestic worlds for us to explore?!

Having played Metroid Prime in VR I can safely say that they should be.

They should stop being reactive to the industry, playing catch up... and in some cases they re not yet caught up!

They should be proactive. Pushing boundaries. What happened to Nintendo the innovators?!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, Nintendo looking at VR? They've been looking into VR WAAAAAYYYYY before Oculus was even a glint in a Kickstarter backer's eye. Nothing new here.

I think it's very much a new thing. They failed with the Virtual Boy and haven't publicly pushed VR tech forward. It's been left to others to get it out in the wild and generate interest. There's a chance that it could become mainstream so now they show interest again and quite rightly so.

Also, I'm pretty sure Reggie dismissed VR at last years E3, so them saying they are looking at it now certainly is a change of tune.

Also, Nintendo looking at VR? They've been looking into VR WAAAAAYYYYY before Oculus was even a glint in a Kickstarter backer's eye. Nothing new here.

I think it's very much a new thing. They failed with the Virtual Boy and haven't publicly pushed VR tech forward. It's been left to others to get it out in the wild and generate interest. There's a chance that it could become mainstream so now they show interest again and quite rightly so.

Also, I'm pretty sure Reggie dismissed VR at last years E3, so them saying they are looking at it now certainly is a change of tune.

Innovation doesn't just have to come from control.

Wasn't 100% serious there, (Dunno, in a snarky mood today) but this is a perfectly valid point.

I can understand Miyamoto's hesitation about VR though, we all know what happened last time they dipped their toe in that pool.

I should really get around to playing DCubed's Virtual Wario Land one day.

Innovation doesn't just have to come from control.

Wasn't 100% serious there, (Dunno, in a snarky mood today) but this is a perfectly valid point.

I can understand Miyamoto's hesitation about VR though, we all know what happened last time they dipped their toe in that pool.

I should really get around to playing DCubed's Virtual Wario Land one day.

They should be proactive. Pushing boundaries. What happened to Nintendo the innovators?!

You mean like dual screen gaming on DS, glasses free 3D on 3DS, motion control on Wii, lag free dual screen and off TV play on Wii U, and whatever the NX's innovation is?

When they innovate, people complain. When they apparently don't innovate and jump into VR people complain.

It'll be years before VR is worthwhile, IMO. None of the games shown off have proved why the technology is worth the huge cost.

Instead of jumping on every negative argument in the Q&A, as per usual, why not focus on the positive that they're looking into VR which as mentioned above is a welcome change of tune.

You mean like dual screen gaming on DS, glasses free 3D on 3DS, motion control on Wii, lag free dual screen and off TV play on Wii U, and whatever the NX's innovation is?

When they innovate, people complain. When they apparently don't innovate and jump into VR people complain.

It'll be years before VR is worthwhile, IMO. None of the games shown off have proved why the technology is worth the huge cost.

Instead of jumping on every negative argument in the Q&A, as per usual, why not focus on the positive that they're looking into VR which as mentioned above is a welcome change of tune.

I like how everyone around the net also also seems to be taking their comments about games "requiring" 2 million sales at face value as well... Not every game is gonna need those kinds of sales (they only mentioned 2 million because that's what they said they wanted at minimum for Breath of the Wild).

They are for sure going to sell more then 2 million of that game. They could sell it on the Wii U in probably a month.

I like how everyone around the net also also seems to be taking their comments about games "requiring" 2 million sales at face value as well... Not every game is gonna need those kinds of sales (they only mentioned 2 million because that's what they said they wanted at minimum for Breath of the Wild).

They are for sure going to sell more then 2 million of that game. They could sell it on the Wii U in probably a month.

@Ronnie, I'm glad they're "looking into it" but Miyamoto's comments suggests it's a bit of a throw-away look they're doing.

I would love Nintendo to pursue VR. Seriously, could you imagine Hyrule in VR?! The galaxy in Metroid?! How awesome Splatoon would be to play in VR?!!!

But they just don't seem to see how it could be fun.

When Nintendo push the boat out you can see I get excited, Zelda being the prime example, but when they just coast along its so annoying. So much wasted potential.

The Gamepad could've been so much more, but they don't utilise it properly. They released Star Fox in an effort to try and show the value of the Gamepad... how many years after launch?!!!!

Innovation is good when it enhances the game. "Innovating" for the sake of innovation isn't worth the while at all.

Edited by Kav

@Ronnie, I'm glad they're "looking into it" but Miyamoto's comments suggests it's a bit of a throw-away look they're doing.

I would love Nintendo to pursue VR. Seriously, could you imagine Hyrule in VR?! The galaxy in Metroid?! How awesome Splatoon would be to play in VR?!!!

But they just don't seem to see how it could be fun.

When Nintendo push the boat out you can see I get excited, Zelda being the prime example, but when they just coast along its so annoying. So much wasted potential.

The Gamepad could've been so much more, but they don't utilise it properly. They released Star Fox in an effort to try and show the value of the Gamepad... how many years after launch?!!!!

Innovation is good when it enhances the game. "Innovating" for the sake of innovation isn't worth the while at all.

Edited by Kav

I have an Oculus DK2 at home and have played it a number of times at EGX and at a mate's place, it's cool but I wouldn't say it's any way shape or form the future of gaming. I'm glad Nintendo are looking into it but I certainly don't want them to put much focus on it, especially at the moment when the cost is so high. It's a sideshow, IMO, just like it was a sideshow at E3.

I have an Oculus DK2 at home and have played it a number of times at EGX and at a mate's place, it's cool but I wouldn't say it's any way shape or form the future of gaming. I'm glad Nintendo are looking into it but I certainly don't want them to put much focus on it, especially at the moment when the cost is so high. It's a sideshow, IMO, just like it was a sideshow at E3.

I think it's a better avenue to explore than dual-screen gaming and will very much have a future in gaming too. I'd rather Nintendo be pioneers in it than having to play catch-up in years to come. That's my point.

I think it's a better avenue to explore than dual-screen gaming and will very much have a future in gaming too. I'd rather Nintendo be pioneers in it than having to play catch-up in years to come. That's my point.

Hahahaha! Classic Ninty!

Unbelievable. Simply because they wii did mega numbers they expected the wii u to do the same. That's ridiculously niave and the hope is they had a huge reality check. How could they not of seen, or appreciated that the market had changed? They genuinely thought all those casual wii buyers were just waiting for a new Nintendo console.

Nintendo at times never fail to amaze at how much they operate in a bubble.

Whether the powers that be really thought the sales department were correct they certainly believed they would sell it lot of consoles. The forecast for year 1 was insane. From what I remember Iwata said they would sell 5.5 mil consoles up until March 2013 and 24 million software units.

The company thought the wii u would do gangbusters, no doubt about that.

Edited by liger05

Hahahaha! Classic Ninty!

Unbelievable. Simply because they wii did mega numbers they expected the wii u to do the same. That's ridiculously niave and the hope is they had a huge reality check. How could they not of seen, or appreciated that the market had changed? They genuinely thought all those casual wii buyers were just waiting for a new Nintendo console.

Nintendo at times never fail to amaze at how much they operate in a bubble.

Whether the powers that be really thought the sales department were correct they certainly believed they would sell it lot of consoles. The forecast for year 1 was insane. From what I remember Iwata said they would sell 5.5 mil consoles up until March 2013 and 24 million software units.

The company thought the wii u would do gangbusters, no doubt about that.

Edited by liger05

The thinking was that because Wii sold well, Wii U would follow suit. I said that, since the Wii had already sold so well, we need to clearly explain the attraction of the Wii U if we are to get beyond that and sell the new system, and that this would be no easy task. I was responsible for selling the Wii U, and I knew what was good about it, so I talked with those in charge of sales about the importance of conveying the attractiveness of Wii U to consumers. I am guessing that some of this communication may have come across in a negative tone.

So the message was wrong and the product was not. Utterly clueless if they think the Wii U was what people wanted and they just didn't sell it right...and does not bode well for the NX.

The thinking was that because Wii sold well, Wii U would follow suit. I said that, since the Wii had already sold so well, we need to clearly explain the attraction of the Wii U if we are to get beyond that and sell the new system, and that this would be no easy task. I was responsible for selling the Wii U, and I knew what was good about it, so I talked with those in charge of sales about the importance of conveying the attractiveness of Wii U to consumers. I am guessing that some of this communication may have come across in a negative tone.

So the message was wrong and the product was not. Utterly clueless if they think the Wii U was what people wanted and they just didn't sell it right...and does not bode well for the NX.