NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

What Happens NX?

I'd argue that the SNES controller is a refinement of the NES and the GameCube a refinement of N64. It's only recently they've started trying completely new things for the sake of trying rather than necessity (as was the case of the NES and N64).

Number 3 is now available!

What Happens NX? #3 - Launch

content-4-34738-nx3.jpg

It was actually meant to be the penultimate one, but I wasn't at home until Thursday so didn't get much of a chance to research the others like I needed to!

Regardless, hope you enjoy.

Number 3 is now available!

What Happens NX? #3 - Launch

content-4-34738-nx3.jpg

It was actually meant to be the penultimate one, but I wasn't at home until Thursday so didn't get much of a chance to research the others like I needed to!

Regardless, hope you enjoy.

Good analysis there.

Damn the bad slogans... But that N64 "The Future is here" with Mario 64 on the box was so powerful.

I never intended for the series to disappear as it did, but work (and the lack of pressure because of knowing it won't be shown at E3) resulted in this being sidetracked.

I intend to return to the series properly next week, but in the mean time I've done a catch up which looks at previous instalments and provides an update in light of recent rumours and information from Nintendo.

What Happens NX? Catch Up

content-4-34867-nxcu.jpg

According to one developer that wished to remain anonymous, in the build up to the Wii U when speaking to Nintendo they asked how online would work and made several references to Xbox Live and PSN, only to be told “that it was no good referencing Live and PSN as nobody in their development teams used those systems
Well, they have now:

[tweet]767679843333005312[/tweet]

Unless that PS4 is just there for decorative purposes. :heh:

They are probably dissecting it to figure out how this new thing called online gaming works. The dude in the picture looks very puzzled. "People can play and talk to each other while not in the same room or even country! What is this wizardry? " :D

Well, they have now:

[tweet]767679843333005312[/tweet]

With that quote, I was thinking they may have been meaning "in our development team group that are here right now, we have no one with technical hands on experience with the PS4/XB system." rather than "In the whole of Nintendo as a whole company not a single person has the tiniest amount of experience with the XB/PS4."

It could have been things lost in translation/added in translation or just a plain miscommunication. I mean personally I have plenty of experience of the Wii U's online system, but from a development point of view I have very little clue how it works. As a developer who has never commercially released software on the xbox/ps it doesn't strike me as particularly surprising that a 3rd party whose job it is to release software on those platforms would possess knowledge that was magnitudes greater.... always amuses me when people act as though that statement is an absolute shocker.

I've met plenty of very talented IT folk, one thing they tend to have in common is an incredible inability to communicate clearly and empathise with people who don't have in depth knowledge.

It's a bit like me asking an interior designer where they would recommend putting my bed in relation to the south facing wall of my bedroom, without describing the dimensions, position of the window/door etc... just expecting them to know even though they never visited.

In that analogy, yes I expect Nintendo to have looked at the exterior of the house, but that only gives them a vague idea of what's inside - imagine peering through the windows of your house, would you be able to see how many drawers/cupboards interior doors there are, and even if you go inside, just by looking would you know exactly how it was wired and plumbed?

Anyway... yeah hardly a shocker, I expect Sony and Microsoft have competing consoles in their offices as well.

With that quote, I was thinking they may have been meaning "in our development team group that are here right now, we have no one with technical hands on experience with the PS4/XB system." rather than "In the whole of Nintendo as a whole company not a single person has the tiniest amount of experience with the XB/PS4."

It could have been things lost in translation/added in translation or just a plain miscommunication. I mean personally I have plenty of experience of the Wii U's online system, but from a development point of view I have very little clue how it works. As a developer who has never commercially released software on the xbox/ps it doesn't strike me as particularly surprising that a 3rd party whose job it is to release software on those platforms would possess knowledge that was magnitudes greater.... always amuses me when people act as though that statement is an absolute shocker.

I've met plenty of very talented IT folk, one thing they tend to have in common is an incredible inability to communicate clearly and empathise with people who don't have in depth knowledge.

It's a bit like me asking an interior designer where they would recommend putting my bed in relation to the south facing wall of my bedroom, without describing the dimensions, position of the window/door etc... just expecting them to know even though they never visited.

In that analogy, yes I expect Nintendo to have looked at the exterior of the house, but that only gives them a vague idea of what's inside - imagine peering through the windows of your house, would you be able to see how many drawers/cupboards interior doors there are, and even if you go inside, just by looking would you know exactly how it was wired and plumbed?

Anyway... yeah hardly a shocker, I expect Sony and Microsoft have competing consoles in their offices as well.

My interpretation of that quote was that they were asking the network guys at Nintendo and not just some random dev team but will have to go read again when I'm not walking down the street!

I do imagine things have changed now though.

So here we are. The last What Happens NX? until we know what the blasted thing is!

In this one I look at Nintendo themselves, as both a console manufacturer and software company. What will they bring to the NX? What could they do to make it better? That sort of thing.

What Happens NX? #5 - Nintendo

content-4-34893-nx5.jpg

The plan is when we finally know what it is I'll look back and see what I got right and wrong.

Unless Nintendo announce it while I'm in Greece for two weeks at the end of September...then you'll have to wait until I'm back!

Sign in to follow this