NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

What Happens NX?

Cheers, another great read.

It really highlighted for me that if Nintendo are going to bet big for a peripheral or controller this generation then they should be damn sure they really know how to make it essential to the games. As you pointed out, Sony had some innovations on the DS4, but they were presumably relatively cheap to add in and so it did not really matter when few devs used them.

Yeah, another great article, the only bit I slightly disagreed with was the interpretation of the off-tv play poll, you took the glass half empty look saying most people seldom use it, but I see the people using it off and on in the positive side of things; it's just an additional feature for when the tv is busy or whatever, "on and off" for me is sort of how it should be used; so for me, especially as a few people said it was an unused pointless feature in other threads, that actually most people do use the feature quite a bit.

Another cracking read, @Ashley.

The point made about the amount of controllers that have been released since the Wii era is a valid one. It's crazy seeing how many options there are on the table for control schemes. Personally I would like them all to be scrapped and to start from scratch again with a standard controller.

The comparison made between the two competitors offerings is an interesting one. Both competitors have made tweaks here and there but have largely kept the forms of their controllers the same. You can see the evolution of them between generations.

Xbox-controller-small.gif

playstation-controller-small.gif

The phrase "If it ain't broke, then don't fix it" comes to mind.

The PlayStation gif looks like it goes through puberty at the start!

Yeah, another great article, the only bit I slightly disagreed with was the interpretation of the off-tv play poll, you took the glass half empty look saying most people seldom use it, but I see the people using it off and on in the positive side of things; it's just an additional feature for when the tv is busy or whatever, "on and off" for me is sort of how it should be used; so for me, especially as a few people said it was an unused pointless feature in other threads, that actually most people do use the feature quite a bit.

Statically the 'negative' was in the majority, but I tried to find the balance between 'the majority may not use it often and [later on] it does have fans that appreciate it ". Maybe I'll need to look again once I'm back in London in a few days.

Thanks for the feedback :)

The phrase "If it ain't broke, then don't fix it" comes to mind.

Yes, but doesn't it also show a complete lack of imagination and a willingness to explore new play styles by Nintendo's competitors. Then again, I loved the Wii Remote and love the Wii U GamePad (I guess I'm in the minority unfortunately).

Yes, but doesn't it also show a complete lack of imagination and a willingness to explore new play styles by Nintendo's competitors.

It does but you don't have to set out to reinvent the wheel every time, rather just build on what you've got.

Statically the 'negative' was in the majority, but I tried to find the balance between 'the majority may not use it often and [later on] it does have fans that appreciate it ". Maybe I'll need to look again once I'm back in London in a few days.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Oh you don't need to relook at it, it was just a thing I was thinking while reading it and the only point I didn't agree with :) All perspective in interpreting the stats, I see the vast majority as actually using off tv play from this stats that's all!

What article's next!?

Another cracking read, @Ashley.

The point made about the amount of controllers that have been released since the Wii era is a valid one. It's crazy seeing how many options there are on the table for control schemes. Personally I would like them all to be scrapped and to start from scratch again with a standard controller.

Yeah when I found that image of all the controllers for Smash it really helped put the point across. On the one hand it's great that there are options, but it is a bit overwhelming!

Yes, but doesn't it also show a complete lack of imagination and a willingness to explore new play styles by Nintendo's competitors. Then again, I loved the Wii Remote and love the Wii U GamePad (I guess I'm in the minority unfortunately).

As HoT picked up on, do Nintendo need to keep reinventing every time? It is starting to feel to me that it's become a problematic self-fulfilling prophecy and the GamePad shows what happens when they feel the need to do something new without really having the need for it. But that's just me!

Sony and Microsoft may not be doing amazing new things, but their refinements have improved gaming. Little things like the rumble in triggers, the Elite offering customisation, hell even the headphone jack (also used for microphone) in the DS4 are incremental but beneficial changes.

Oh you don't need to relook at it, it was just a thing I was thinking while reading it and the only point I didn't agree with :) All perspective in interpreting the stats, I see the vast majority as actually using off tv play from this stats that's all!

What article's next!?

Hmm well the next two I had planned may need more research and I'm out of London for a few days so they may get shifted around. In reality the only one that is set in stone is the last one and maybe the one before that.

My thinking is Nintendo should settle with a slightly adjusted GameCube controller, as it was almost damned near perfect. And then if, and I stress if, they create a game that really needs a new input device to play, they should bundle it in with the game.

Maybe I don't like change. Maybe I just can't be bothered but no time since owning a PS4 have I thought "I wish there was a weird new way I could play this game". Tearaway was enough.

I feel like it should be pointed out that Sony are doing different things in terms of controllers and user interaction - PSVR. Its the same sort of desire, just a higher technology approach.

The difference is that they are not insisting people get one out of the gate, they are relying on the coolness of the device to sell the numbers it needs to. If you do that though, you obviously risk splitting the user base.

Nintendo could not have done this with the gamepad because it would (probably) not have sold well enough to get even their own support. I guess that should have been enough warning out of the gate.

If they change up the controller again this generation it needs to be cheap - like the wiimote, or expensive and optional like PSVR. Hopefully then they won't have too much of an underpowered console.

Edited by peterl0

Oh shoot that reminds me I was going to make some point about the ill-fated second GamePad that was promised.

It does but you don't have to set out to reinvent the wheel every time, rather just build on what you've got.

Indeed - they seem to think of a concept and then completely abandon it. It also doesn't help that they have to completely change their console brand each generation too.

As HoT picked up on, do Nintendo need to keep reinventing every time? It is starting to feel to me that it's become a problematic self-fulfilling prophecy and the GamePad shows what happens when they feel the need to do something new without really having the need for it. But that's just me!

Sony and Microsoft may not be doing amazing new things, but their refinements have improved gaming. Little things like the rumble in triggers, the Elite offering customisation, hell even the headphone jack (also used for microphone) in the DS4 are incremental but beneficial changes.

I don't think Nintendo intend to reinvent every time. They just try to supply a controller to cater to a particular demand. Most people on here think the GamePad was a step too far and misinterpreted that demand that led to being underutilized, but personally it revolutionized my gameplay experience. I don't know if I'll ever be able to go back to having to enter a pause menu to select a map, weapon or item. It would be too cumbersome after the streamlined experience the GamePad has delivered. Personal taste though. I'm just happy with it being a 3DS dual screen experience, but on my TV and Pad.

I think the DS4 track pad is an interesting middle ground. Yes you have to pause (which I'm fine with because it's nice to break) but it has been shown to be useful for maps. Similar for weapon selection as well, but without a need to pause (depending on setup).

Not saying Nintendo should just copy this, but it's an interesting solution that doesn't require a screen.

I agree the pause is not so much of a problem, but where you have an interactive map (Xenoblade X springs to mind) I don't like touchpads as mouse pointers. The stylus/touch screen can really help there.

(I haven't used the track pad, but I am guessing it is similar to the Apple TV gen 4 controller.)

Oh shoot that reminds me I was going to make some point about the ill-fated second GamePad that was promised.

was this a case of nintendo realising that the Wii U was not powerful enough to run two game pads at the same time so they quietly just ignored it

was this a case of nintendo realising that the Wii U was not powerful enough to run two game pads at the same time so they quietly just ignored it

Yeah I think it probably was - the quality of the game would have to be compromised even further to manage the streaming to two screens. Plus it would require you to be rich or have a local friend with a Wii U. Both quite rare occurrences. :wink:

EDIT:

I wonder how much of a kick in the teeth it was to Nintendo when the first word that came out of most peoples mouths when they saw the Wii U was something along the lines of: 'Cool, can we have two of them?'

They had just spent countless R&D hours perfecting the streaming to one and then they were asked for two.

Please look at our asynchronous gaming....

Edited by peterl0

I always just assumed they realised they couldn't figure out how to use two within a game!

Not that I wanted one, but it would have put a RRP on the GamePad which I was most curious about!

My worry is Nintendo double down on the game pad and release the NX with another gamepad style controller.

I really hope they ditch this second screen experiment.

I always just assumed they realised they couldn't figure out how to use two within a game!

Not that I wanted one, but it would have put a RRP on the GamePad which I was most curious about!

I was also very curious about how much they would put one out for.

When it was first announced (and before I really thought about the realities) I had dreams of 4 of them together and it would be good for local multi-player.

Thinking of something like:

• Smash brothers where the gamepad screen gives you a close up view of the action for focused fighting.
  • Super Mario 3D World (but more exploration based) where there is no limitation of everyone being together.
  • Star fox dogfighting with independent screens. (Or Nintendoland metroid with everyone in ships.)

I realise now that this would not be possible from a technical front (where it seems even that having different content on a single screen appears to be a struggle), and that online could be used to make most of the games I refer to.

Thinking of something like:

• Smash brothers where the gamepad screen gives you a close up view of the action for focused fighting.
  • Super Mario 3D World (but more exploration based) where there is no limitation of everyone being together.
  • Star fox dogfighting with independent screens. (Or Nintendoland metroid with everyone in ships.)

I realise now that this would not be possible from a technical front (where it seems even that having different content on a single screen appears to be a struggle), and that online could be used to make most of the games I refer to.

These are very good examples of how simultaneous Gamepad usage could well have worked, it also makes me wonder if perhaps Nintendo had it right with the GC + GBA compatiblity because to me that offered the best kind of alternative gameplay experience, especially with The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures and the best part about it is that it was optional so you had two dedicated ways to play. :)

Imagine if the NX does turn out to be the home console we all want and that it has either a portable counterpart or the next portable machine connects to it then these kind of gameplay experiences would surely be possible but without a device the size of the Gamepad because though it is a great piece of tech I really don't think it's practical to be holding it up for long periods of time unless you are merely using it as a large handheld device, so to me I feel the concept of multiplayer with everyone having their own screen in addition to the TV is a great one but it needs to take the better elements from the GameCube era and what has been learnt recently from the Wii U. :D

There's definitely huge potential though and it makes me more enthusiastic towards for the future of gaming. : peace:

Things to look forward to in this week's (due Sunday):

• Americans fighting each other
  • KFC
  • Puff Daddy
  • Panties
  • An expression I'm hoping will cause people to spit out their tea in shock (applicable to only the British, obviously)

My thinking is Nintendo should settle with a slightly adjusted GameCube controller, as it was almost damned near perfect. And then if, and I stress if, they create a game that really needs a new input device to play, they should bundle it in with the game.

Maybe I don't like change. Maybe I just can't be bothered but no time since owning a PS4 have I thought "I wish there was a weird new way I could play this game". Tearaway was enough.

Yep!

An adjusted GC wireless controller, with a bigger dpad. I'm all for the grey colouring of the Panasonic Q controller - nice medium between white and black.

$_35.JPG

My worry is Nintendo double down on the game pad and release the NX with another gamepad style controller.

I really hope they ditch this second screen experiment.

from what we know, it will almost certainly have a controller with a screen

I think the main difference between Nintendo and Sony/Microsoft when it comes to controllers is how they view gaming.

Each generation Nintendo use a very different controller because they are constantly looking at ways to give us a different gaming experience by the way we control the game, Sony/Microsoft try to improve the gaming experience by creating more powerful consoles that change the way we see a game.

I'm sure this is mainly due to how these companies operate. Nintendo makes games so looks more into the gameplay aspect, whereas Sony & Microsoft are more hardware focused, so their aim is to make the consoles as powerful as possible and leave the gameplay aspects to the 3rd parties.

It's a shame Sony and Nintendo never merged, I'd love to see a console with Sony's grunt and Nintendo's panache.

Sign in to follow this